saitek x52

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

saitek x52

Postby tbg_redeye on Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:34 pm

I need some help with a x52 il2 stick profile. I've spent countless hours trying to program it but cant seem to get it to work good. Does anyone have any tips?? Maybe a profile you could email for me to try out??

Thanks in advance
Redeye
tbg_redeye
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby MudPuppy on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:25 pm

Welcome to Airwarfare, Redeye! Unfortunately I'm at work and don't have those profiles here, but I downloaded my first X-52 profile from the Saitek website. Go to the downloads section and game profiles should be fairly easy to find. I used that as a base to make some changes that suited my style better. And that's just what you will want; settings that make sense to you and fit any preferences you have for aircraft.
You should give a look to the Tech Help section here for some guidance on tweaking your joystick.

:oops: Err, that may not sound just right but you know what I mean. Mission4Today.com also has some utilities in its downloads section for joysticks. Have some patience with setting things up and it'll all come together. Check back later and let me know how it went.
Later,
MudPuppy
MudPuppy
Warrant Officer

Postby tbg_redeye on Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:34 pm

Thanks for the reply mudpuppy. I set up some of the basics on the stick what I'm trying to figure out now is how to set the rotary controls and the the slider for say flap, trim and zoom settigs any suggestions?

Thanks

Redeye
tbg_redeye
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby MudPuppy on Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:23 pm

The first 2 that you mentioned could be set up from the HOTAS CONTROL section of the ingame control screen. For the Flaps I use the slider on the throttle control. Have it at either end of it's range (your choice here) and when you click the "Flaps" assignment in the HOTAS CONTROL move the slider through its range. I notice that I don't get the messages "Combat Flaps" and "Landing Flaps" anymore but this is probably d/t it not being a on/off switch like assigning this control to the "F" key.
I assigned Elevator Trim to the thumb rotary on the throttle control. Again use the HOTAS CONTROL section and move the thumb rotary after you select that control. Be sure that you are in the center of the rotary switch before you do this. There is a fine "center" point of this pot that I have marked with a permanent marker to help me out.

I tried several different option for the zoom and gunsight settings and I finally have settled on the Ministick mouse on the throttle control for zoom and gunsight. In the profile editor for the x-52, I use the "bands" setting for the ministck's X & Y axis. Using the default ingame settings for these commands I assigned:
Ministick X axis: 65-100% "Delete" Zoom View; 35-65% None; 0-35% "Page Down" Wide View.
Ministick Y axis: 65-100% "Ctrl + F1" No Cockpit View; 35-65% None; 0-35% "Shift + F1" Toggle Gunsight View.

In looking at my notes, the settings above are exactly from a profile by "Tully" (salute!) that I found on a search of simHQ or the Ubi forums. His was quite helpful and well-thought out, I just made some small changes for my preferences.
MudPuppy
MudPuppy
Warrant Officer

Postby shockandawe on Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:40 pm

I have an X52 and _love_ it! I am using the precision slider set up with seven bands - four active bands with three small null bands interspersed. I assign four different fields of view to these four active bands. I can zoom in and out using the slider.

I find that I do a lot of zooming in and out to look at things. I don't like the gun setting for targeting. It is too close for that! It is good for examining possible targets or looking for your airfield, however. I have one setting for scanning my instrument panel. I have a wide setting for takeoffs and landings so I can get a good idea of where I am on the runway.

I use one of the toggles on the joystick for my flap settings and another to toggle gear. I use the hat on the throttle set to a four position switch as my pitch trim. I'm not sure if I am happy about it but I though the rotaries were difficult to use for this function. (As a rule, I am never happy about pitch trim no matter what I do. I think I need a shrink.)

Because I have the beautiful TrackIR for looking I have set up both hat switches on my stick as buttons and use them for coms. You can write a macro for each (I suggest using them as four button switches) to do, say, a tab-7 or a tab-8-4 or whatever.

I use one of the fire buttons on the throttle as the wheel brake and the same one (with pinky) to run a startup macro: ctrl-L (lights) - ctrl-X (lock tailwheel for takeoff) - I (engine start) - tab-8-2 (request takeoff)... all with one lousy button!!

I really enjoy tinkering with my X52 and look forward to looking at some of the neat links you guys have mentioned here.

SaA :D :D :D
shockandawe
Corporal

Return to IL-2 Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters Forum