Need help setup X52.

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Need help setup X52.

Postby bchivers on Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:20 am

I recently bought a X52 and have no idea how to set it up. The first problem is I don't know what all the views eg:pov1 pov2 are as I am new to flight sims. Also I have some buttons that I can't seem to make work like the mode button. If I understand right I should be able to program each button over again with each mode. I would like to find something that would help me program it to be basiclly the same as everybody elses,in other words somebody else could use my stick and figure it out easily. TIA.
bchivers
Sergeant

Postby Bogusheadbox on Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:14 pm

Not sure if you have received a reply yet mate. But here goes.

X-52 comes with 2 programmes on the disc. One is your drivers. The other is the profiler.

The profiler is what you need to run in order to program your stick to its full capacity.

The profiler looks daunting, but isn't really. So open it up and have a play. You can't break anything.

Just remember that some key presses can be set from the IL2 key mapping page. But by doing this, you will void the "multifunction" ability of that button on your stick.

Because of this. Only map your Throttle Buttons in IL2 key mapping page (or not at all if you don't wish).

OK. Now lets programme using your X-52 profiler.

First. In your IL2 Key Bind Page. Make sure each possible action listed has a key bind. Once done print it out (or write it down if you want a sore hand). That is all you need.

From there, just look through your print out and have a think what action you would like against what button. (for instance. Mode 1<green> on stick is used for normal flight options. Mode 2 <purple> is used for landing take off operations. Mode 3<red> is used for emergecy applications and rarely used commands.)

Time to bind.

1. Open profiler which should be a little icon in your sys tray on the task bar.

2. create new profile. Call it FB or Ding Dong (whatever you like) and save as new..
3. re-open profile.
4. Map keys.

And here is how you map keys.

In the profile you will see a picture of the stick on the left and a list of buttons on the right. If you click on any button list on the right, it will highlight on the picture of the controller what button it actually is. So you know which button you are programming.

Lets say you want button 8 to open canopy.
Open/close canopy in IL2 bind page is set to CTRL+O (or whatever you swet it to)

All you do is click in the blank space on the button list for BUTTON 8 and press CTRL+O
As you press it will write on screen the button you have selected. Once you have entered in the buttons, press the stop icon in the bottom othe the square you have typed in.

That button is now bound.

One other groovey function is that you can change the name from BUTTON 8 to "OPEN/CLOSE CANOPY"

But why would you want to do this.

On your throttle is a little thumb button on one of the round twist rotator thingies. It will have an "i" on it for information (otherwise known as the clutch button)
The good thing about this button is that if you press it, and press your "OPEN/CLOSE CANOPY" button....... You will notice that on the throttle it will display in the LCD screen the name you associated to that task.....which in this case will be "OPEN/CLOSE CANOPY" Please note that while the clutch button is depressed, any other button pressed will not operate, but will show on the screen what it does. Very handy if you have forgotten which button does what.

Different modes. You will notice that you will have 3 different modes. Green, Purple and Red. You can double this with the pinkie switch + green, purple red.

One thing to remember when programming the 3 different modes. Is to do you most frequent items on Green. Say your main trigger fror guns.
Once this is programmed, and you change into a different mode, you will see it will pull through any green bindings into the other 2 modes.

This is great if you set your bomb, MG's and Cannon fire buttons to remain the same in all 3 modes but programme the others to do different things.

Remember that when you have done and saved it. To activate your profile by right clicking the icon in the SYS tray and selecting whatever profile you want.

Hope that helps some.

Please let me know if you want some more help.
Bogusheadbox
Lance Air Corporal

Postby bchivers on Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:04 pm

Bogusheadbox.

Thanks for the reply it's great. I hope to have time later to give it a go. Don't know what you mean by "IL2 Key Bind Page" also I see a box with axis,bands mouse x and mouse y,what should they be set at. One of the sims I have has all kinds of POVs and views don't know what they are or how to set them. One last question I see three hat switches how do I designate them to operate as hats? Again many thanks mate. :D
bchivers
Sergeant

Postby EURO_Snoopy on Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:01 pm

Tully has written some excellent guides on joystick setup:
Joystick guide
EURO_Snoopy
Site Admin

Postby MaXMhZ on Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:24 am

bchivers wrote:Bogusheadbox.

Thanks for the reply it's great. I hope to have time later to give it a go. Don't know what you mean by "IL2 Key Bind Page" also I see a box with axis,bands mouse x and mouse y,what should they be set at. One of the sims I have has all kinds of POVs and views don't know what they are or how to set them. One last question I see three hat switches how do I designate them to operate as hats? Again many thanks mate. :D

Yup very nice explanation :)
It's the page in-game where you associate keyboard-keys (or joystick buttons/axis with game commands. (called "Controls" (It's on the main menu on start-up) in-game
to the left are game commands, to the right you can define keys/buttons for those commands. Just click right of the command and then press the key or move the axis inthe "increase" direction for that game-command(like the "Open canopy - Ctrl-O above)You can then assign the Ctrl-O keystroke to your joystick by using the profiler. effectively assigning a game command to a joystick button. Remember that all axis are defined in the HOTAS(Hands On Throttle And Stick" section at the bottom of the list in the "Controls" page in-game

A hatswitch is just 4 or 8 (depends on the hatswitch) buttons.

define a keyboard-key for the view under controls, then bind that keyboard keystroke to your hat switch using your profiler. (4 for a 4-way hat, 8 for an 8-way hat ;)

I would recommend to put the hatswitch you look-around with into "mousemode" using profiler. you then get the smooth look-around feel of the mouse (takes a little fiddling with the sensitivity slider but well worth it) and yes it also works under Windows :D define 2 buttons as mouse button down and you've got a spare mouse... :D

it's allways like this: game-command -->keystroke --> button-bind be sure to make a printout of your bindings on the joystick ;) it will be a while before you learned them all.

I would suggest to start with a simple profile and build on that when you find it acceptable ;) [ if you do a "Quick mission " and press Esc, the Controls page can be reached. define your keys/axis, return to the quick mission and test it out right away :)

Once you've learned the new profile it's probably time to talk about banded axis,Dhauzimmer drivers ( http://saitekhelp.simhq.com/Dhauz_Start.htm ), and some other stuff 8)

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby bchivers on Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:42 pm

MaXMhZ.
Another great explanation,thanks. I feel more confident now just need the time,hopefully this weekend. I'm still confused about all the different views though. Which ones do I need?
bchivers
Sergeant

Postby MaXMhZ on Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:04 pm

bchivers wrote:MaXMhZ.
Another great explanation,thanks. I feel more confident now just need the time,hopefully this weekend. I'm still confused about all the different views though. Which ones do I need?

It depends on what you are comfortable with, that said, I've programmed my main hatswitch (on a Saitek evo which I use as stick)to mouse mode with one button next to it as "look in front" [ NUM5 key] to have a center to return quickly to ;)
I also have an X45 connected(using the throttle mainly)), and use the hatswitches on that for zoom in/zoom out, gear up/down, and coil flaps. I use the rotaries on it for prop pitch and elevator trim. The x45 stick has some additional commands like lights, canopy open/close, chocks etc. which I rarely use.
For switching betweendifferent views I mainly use the default function keys (F1,F2, F3, F8 and F9

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby Bogusheadbox on Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:17 am

OK lets see if i can remember all the important bits.

In il2 control panel. First go to throttle "Under Hotas" i think.

Click in the space and then move your throttle. That should bind it.
Please note that when moving your throttle it may bind back to front. (throttle back is full power, throttle forward is no power).

If this is the case, just rebind throttle but move throttle in other direction.

Next to set up will be your views. I think that is something that you are concerned about.

This is a little tricky and needs a good finger (excuse the pun). No need to set a keyboard bind. Just bind directly to the stick in the following fashion.

(For my different angles of view i use the lower of the two "hat switches")
Find the appropriate bind in the IL2 set up page (lets use View up) click on it, then move your HAT SWITCH up. That should now have binded view up.

The HAT SWITCH is sensitive so you may need try a few times.

Now i set the 3 modes of view (Zoom out, normal, zoom in) on the TOP HAT SWITCH. Up for zoom out, right for normal, down for zoom in. Left remains unbound.

I find that works well for me as between the two HAT SWITCHES, i can swith zoom mode and view angle quickly without fuss.

Depends on how you like it and everyone is different. But one good thing to remember is that your trigger has two settings.

I have mine set to.
1. pull first stage, machine guns.
2. pull second stage, machine guns and cannons.
(I also have a seperate button just for cannons - if i want to only fire them)

I could list all my binds but that would bore you. ;-)

If you want to. The easiest way to programme a stick is to have someone send you thier profile which you can check out and modify to suit yourself.

But i found that doing it yourself helps you to remember what is where and lets you add that bit of a personal touch to it.

Once you have binded your first key. It will take you about half an hour on your first attempt to programme. And then about another 15 minutes to make any other adjustments you need.

I didn't touch Joystick Axis at all as it was already detected by IL2 from start up.

The same with mouse. that i left alone as already detected.
Just remember that your throttle has a mouse stick on it. that is used to move my view around as well at the hat switches.

Have any more probs, just give us a shout.
Bogusheadbox
Lance Air Corporal

Postby bchivers on Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:17 pm

Have any more probs, just give us a shout.

Thanks again,I'll give it a try. May be nice to see someone else's profile to get a better understanding. :D
bchivers
Sergeant

Postby MaXMhZ on Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:58 pm

Don;t forget to check out Tully's joystick guide either ;) It'll give a better understanding too http://airwarfare.com/tech/sticks.htm

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Return to IL-2 Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters Forum