I'm pretty impressed

Forum for discussion of topics relating to Shockwave Productions 'Battle Of Britain - Wings Of Victory'

Moderator: MaXMhZ

I'm pretty impressed

Postby EURO_Snoopy on Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:46 am

I looked at this video last night: http://www.shockwaveproductions.com/bob ... anding.zip
and was quite impressed by the visuals, sound, animation and the clickable cockpit. I'm now quite looking forward to giving this game a go.

An online component may be lacking but this could be worth some serious consideration. Who knows, with some support we may see an addon enabling online play in the future.
EURO_Snoopy
Site Admin

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:31 am

I'm looking to this one as well. Have been watching it's progress for a while now and am impressed with what I've seen so far.
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby CrazySchmidt on Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:40 pm

Yes I agree, I will be taking a look at this when it's released also.

Cheers, CrazySchmidt. :)
Last edited by CrazySchmidt on Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrazySchmidt
Utilities Developer

Postby EURO_Snoopy on Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:29 pm

I saw a post about the lack of a mission builder on Shockwaves Forum, do you think there's room for some third party tinkering there?
EURO_Snoopy
Site Admin

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:10 am

Yes, looks like someone with the talent of creating mission editors is required to do something with this, there are a couple of them here aren't there :wink:

There are a few things to tidy up with this new game, though I think that they have done a great job for a small team. In a way I'm glad that they haven't got a online feature, I can't afford the time to play both IL2 and BoB!
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby CrazySchmidt on Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:55 am

Following that thread at the Shockwave forums, it seems that there is the possibility for the creation of a third party mission builder of some sort. I guess the question now is, is there anyone willing to invest the time to develop such a utility.

Hmmm.... it will be interesting to see what develops I think.

Cheers, CS. :)
CrazySchmidt
Utilities Developer

Postby B16Enk on Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:34 am

It was that video that sold it to me :roll:

Experiencing the widely reported frustrations, plus the Laserlock rolling a virtual dice before it decides whether or not to let me run it.

Take off is much harder than IL2 IMO, but once up the ground textures don't look bad at all :)

Trying to 'scramble' is a challenge, with having to click the in-pit switches (no keyboard short cut to be found so far) it can get a little frustrating when sometimes you have to click on the magneto switch on the right to turn on the left, and vice-versa for the right switch. Other times not - but that does seem to be influenced in part by TiR with VE.
Without TiR you always have to reverse the switching it seems, and it is a little imprecise.
Can be awkward to get the primer too.

Flight itself is very good, not tried combat yet but flying across the channel last night towards London was cool.
Rising to 10,000' odd feet and breaking through the cloud cover (medium weather and cloudy day selected) was a wow moment :)

The sounds...well they are great!

Went back to FB after and flew a couple of QMBs, the FB cockpit models seem so much more 'solid' and crisp in comparison. But I have yet to tinkle with my DirectX settings.

On another note:

Nice Westie EuroSnoop!
We have a 14-week old boy, plucky little beggars aren't they!
Biggest laugh with him so far was when he was swinging of the ruff on our Belgian Shepherd :lol:
B16Enk
Tech Guru

Postby EURO_Snoopy on Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:25 am

The little fellah in my Avatar, that's Ben, about 3 months old :) now he looks like this:

I know, I know, I can hear you all muttering
'Don't get him started on his dogs' :roll:
EURO_Snoopy
Site Admin

Postby B16Enk on Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:31 pm

Nowt wrong with discussing the pooches :)

I came home tonight expecting to have to bury one of our cats, steeled my nerve to go get the body and saw our cat calmly walking up our drive!

Don't know who the dead one belongs to.....

Nice looking dog btw :)

How old now?
B16Enk
Tech Guru

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:05 am

Dog lovers.... yep, if someone gets me talking about my dogs I can go on and on...

This is Ike, he's about 18 months old in this photo, as you can see, he has a habbit of sitting on chairs (at least he sits up at the table).

IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Return to Shockwave Productions B.O.B. Wings Of Victory