BOBII Review by SeafireLIV

Forum for discussion of topics relating to Shockwave Productions 'Battle Of Britain - Wings Of Victory'

Moderator: MaXMhZ

BOBII Review by SeafireLIV

Postby EURO_Snoopy on Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:40 am

Based on only one and a half days play SeafireLIV has delivered a comprehensive review.

Read it here
EURO_Snoopy
Site Admin

Postby ouston on Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:00 pm

I got a copy of BOB wov on Friday and gave a fairly brief run that evening. I did not get to play the original version so cannot say how much it has improved but my overall conclusion is that it is well worth the money.

I have to echo the reviewer. It is hard! I started off in the realistic setting thinking as a modestly competent offline Il2/FB/PF player that it could not be too difficult. Big mistake. I have bent several of His Majesty's precious Spitfires trying to get off the ground. Finally admitting defeat I tried to intercept an incoming raid. Stuff comes at you from all directions and I would say as a simulation of a big scale air battle it has the edge on IL2. The AI seems to use height in a much more convincing fashion and if they are above you you are in big trouble. The radio chatter is vivid and convincing, the number of aircraft in the sky is really daunting and the graphics pretty impressive. Again I agree that the ground detail is not up to IL2 standards but clouds, cockpits and outside views are as good as and in some cases better. Ground detail is similar to EAW which I did play a lot of and enjoyed hugely.

I think I need to look at joystick setup because even minute inputs seem to have me lurching across the sky. The keys and general layout are very different from the IL2 situation so one cannot fly instinctively just yet. I look forward to getting to grips with it. I have not delved into the campaign but they look to be very well researched and full of options. I don't think it will replace the might IL2/FB/PF in my affections but it has every indication of being an excellent game. I recommend it.

Regards
Ouston
ouston
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby CrazySchmidt on Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:08 am

I've read the review and it's great, thanks SeafireLIV!

The FR FM sounds like a challenge... I like a challenge COOL!!!

The ground detail, well I could tell that would be a disappointment just looking at the screen shots.

Looking forward to my first taste of this though. Can you imagine how sweet Oleg's BOB is going to be!!! Damn sweet, thats how sweet.

It's funny you know but all this SW BOB has only made me more anxious to get 1c's version. :roll:

Cheers, CS. :)

Oops, I've just realised I've been praising the right sim in the wrong forum. :smt003 :supz: :rock: :rock: :supz:
CrazySchmidt
Utilities Developer

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:45 pm

LOL CS - I know what you mean, I've been saying that there is no comparison between SW and Olges but people seem to think that they were in a race. But one is a completely new engine, the other is an upgrade of an older one.

The terrian in BoBII from up high is ok, but from low down it looks ugly, but that's just becuase many of us are used to IL2 and that was made for low level tactical combat (though IL2 has some ugly stuff as well).

Bring on the release of BoBII in Australia and New Zealand!
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Not for me.

Postby Noddy on Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:32 am

Well, reading the 'Review' sums up what I have said on the BDG web site, only perhaps I am now a little more let down.
I have the orignal Rowans BoB. With all the hard work, updates that BDG have made over a period of time for NOTHING...ZIPPO..NARDA..etc that is more then worth while keeping and using as I do now.
This so called new SW BoB uses the same voices, sayings etc. Someone has said that a new speech update is on it's way, but why do they release it with the old one in the first place? How come the ground views are 'crap'? And that's just the start.
All this 'hype' about being fantastic, seem to me to be a little bit over the top.
IL-FB has been around now for a few years..It is really the 'bench' mark as far as flight sims are concerned..I love it and when i'm not flying Rowans BoB, I fly FB and the first one of theirs IL..Pity SW didn't look at that and understand that is what people now expect..In other words a good crisp, sharpe image at all levels, that also goes for the cockpit's as well. FB's are really as good as the real thing..Trust me on that one chaps..If they did look, then well the only thing I can think is that someone had 'blinkers' on that day.
If it already needs a patch, which it does, with many more to follow i'm sure, then I intend to wait, and see before I would even think about buying a copy, and thats a big MAYBE... The release date was put forward and forward with the idea of being updated..Well if it is like this now, what was the orignal like that they intended to give us? I dread to think.
Yes I know even IL-FB had update's to start with, but the overall package was pretty sound at the very start with just little, not very annoying 'faults'. This though seems to start on a very 'sticky' wicket.. 8)
Noddy
Air Cadet Level 1

Return to Shockwave Productions B.O.B. Wings Of Victory