IL2-JoyControl

Dedicated Forum for developers of programs/utilities. To announce new or updated products, to share knowledge and ideas for development.

Moderator: CrazySchmidt

Postby MaXMhZ on Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:37 am

Good news Oleg!

Don't worry about the shareware/ donationware concept.
An amount of $5,- or 5 euro would not keep me awake at night, and if it
ensures further developement it's well worth it. I know making programs costs money. The compiler isn't cheap, although by now it seems Borland has abandoned Delphi (there even is a Delphi 7 Professional Second Edition for grabs on the net now from a Delphi user group that took out a lot of extra's (like.NET support and other bloatware that's rarely used) I'm not too sure how legal it is, but haven't seen Borland complaint in any way and it would be easy enough to take them down if they wanted (see http://www.liteapplications.com) I will try 7.2 SE once I put another system together, I'm not too sure I can put it on besides my registered version of 7.0 Enterprise edition.

Another thing to think about is payment method. I hope you'll accept paypal or an international bank transfer in which case I'd register it myself.
I'm curious how you think the M4T download system performs in feedback - I've seen allmost everyone downloaded your program after viewing it, which is a very high percentage I guess they like it ;)

Best of luck to you and yours

S! MaX

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby FoolTrottel on Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:30 pm

Oleg,

As yer working on a new version, here's a a remark on the current version, which in my opinion, would be an improvement:
Whenever I try to use the buttons 'All Max / Min / Linear / Curved', they are limited to the 'Preset' Min/Max values. If one clicks 'All min', the Max Preset is set to zero, and next, the buttons 'All Max' and 'Curved' do nothing! Did you plan it to have it this way?
Them Presets are a good idea, but I think they should not be 'active' when using the buttons.... (they are not active when using 'Copy/Paste'...)
When setting values manullay them presets can come in handy, but for now... they are a bit in the way...

Another tip: Do include some profiles (like Oleg M.'s settings) in yer installation! Maybe do some research (ask around) on popular control setups... (like X52... all 100's?, or some ace's his prefs on the spitfire...8)

And please do some work on a Help function! (In my opninion a neccesary item!) Create some documentation, choose Help in IL2-Sticks, and/or see this thread:
Joystick And Other Controller Profiles in conf.ini - How They Work

As for the donation-ware option: I do not have a problem paying for a good product, my problem would be: how to get the money across? Especially when it's small amounts... I do not use PayPal (yet?) and do not have a credit card!

All in all, I'm happy to see you developping my idea, and me thinks it would be a good idea for you to get some financial benefits from it. This may sound weird comin' from me ... but I got a steady job (for now anyways) and have plenty of money....

Oh, and as I've just finished adding a braking function to my home built rudder pedals, your tool was very functional, as it could show me directly what and how the brakes would work in-game!

Good Luck!

PS... as for them download numbers: incredible! I've been tracking IL2-Sticks downloads from the Airwarefare statistics, and counted 5000 downloads in 11 months.... you're already over 3000! In less than a month! Tell me, what's yer secret? :supz:
===================================================
A fool can always find a greater fool to admire him.
Ein Trottel findet immer einen groesseren Trottel, der ihn bewundert.
FoolTrottel
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby MaXMhZ on Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:54 pm

If I First set Min to 0 and Max to 100 the buttons do work for linear, curved, all max and all min :) = You can also set other values for Min and Max ;)

When I set a profile for the throttle however, the program assumes a "center" (zero) position at 50%, which is ofcause not how the throttle works.
Last edited by MaXMhZ on Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby FoolTrottel on Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:04 pm

MaXMhZ wrote:If I First set Min to 0 and Max to 100 the buttons do work for linear, curved, all max and all min :)

Yeah, I know, workin' around it is no problem... 8) but good programming can and should prevent any work-around!
FoolTrottel
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Oleg_BS on Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:40 am

Hi All!
I'm sorry for a long time did not appear here. The reason one - I have found work and now practically I have no a free time.
Now on questions:

FoolTrottel wrote:Whenever I try to use the buttons 'All Max / Min / Linear / Curved', they are limited to the 'Preset' Min/Max values. If one clicks 'All min', the Max Preset is set to zero, and next, the buttons 'All Max' and 'Curved' do nothing! Did you plan it to have it this way?

1) Actually, these buttons should refer to " All on the First " and " All on the Last " (value). I.e. at calculation of a curve of the response it is formed on values of first and last sliders.

2) Values of sliders can be changed, they are limited to values 0-200.

3) If, after setting of all values in 0, you want, that the program has exposed a straight line (or a parabola) with initial value in 0 and final value 0 too, that the program should make? The programm makes it, but the parabola with the beginning and the ending points in zero is a direct line zero-zero. And this is right! (May be :-) )

4) I can make so that when the first value is equaled to last value, buttons " Curved " "Maximum" and "Minimum" will be inactive.
Is it OK?
Another tip: Do include some profiles (like Oleg M.'s settings) in yer installation! Maybe do some research (ask around) on popular control setups... (like X52... all 100's?, or some ace's his prefs on the spitfire...8)

It is not difficult. If not I shall overlook, I shall add standard presets from IL2-Sticks. You are not against? :D
And please do some work on a Help function! (In my opninion a neccesary item!) Create some documentation, choose Help in IL2-Sticks, and/or see this thread:
Joystick And Other Controller Profiles in conf.ini - How They Work

I thought of it. There is only one problem, I not so well know English. I read freely, but I write badly. I.e. I'll be necessary to find the person which will translate Help from Russian to English.
As for the donation-ware option: I do not have a problem paying for a good product, my problem would be: how to get the money across? Especially when it's small amounts... I do not use PayPal (yet?) and do not have a credit card!

Will be convenient transfer of money on my bank account ? I can open the account without problems.
Though I have found work and this question is not so actual as earlier.
PS... as for them download numbers: incredible! I've been tracking IL2-Sticks downloads from the Airwarefare statistics, and counted 5000 downloads in 11 months.... you're already over 3000! In less than a month! Tell me, what's yer secret? :supz:

The amount of downloadings has already exceeded 5000! I am glad that my work appeared useful to many virtual pilots!

Now I should interrupt, but in some hours I shall try to tell about plans on development JoyControl
Oleg_BS
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby MaXMhZ on Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:41 am

Great you found work Oleg!

I hope it pays very well, so you can enjoy the limited amount of free time more :D
JoyControl is still going very strong indeed. We'll all just have to be patient for the next version I guess. ;)
I hope things continue to improve for you

Greetings,

MaX

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby FoolTrottel on Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:13 pm

Congrats on getting that job!

1) 2) 3) My mistake, thanks for clarifying, I did not understand the true meaning/function of them Min/Max values ... now I do ... makes perfect sense .... leave it as it is right now!

4) Would be a good compromise, but just means more work for you... and there's hardly any relevance to it...

By all means, do include them IL2-Sticks profiles, fine by me!

Would be great if you could find a translator for some explanatory texts... especially to explain then min/max values :mrgreen:

Good Luck!
FoolTrottel
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Oleg_BS on Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:36 am

I again with you :lol:
So, I shall try to tell shortly about the plans on the further development JoyControl.
First, as I now practically have no a free time, the release of the new version will be later than I calculated earlier if will be in general. But I hope for your patience and understanding.
The second (and the most important). The following version will have number 2.0 and it not simply replacement of digits. This version will be rewriting completely anew. As development tools it is selected Visual C ++. Without .NET.
You ask why? I shall not paint for a long time to not call disputes and censures of adherents Delphi. I expect, that the turned out code will be more compact and reliable as will not use indirect libraries and components but only the standards offered Microsoft. In the current version there are one - two errors which I have failed to overcome resources Delphi. These errors are not visible for the user and do not influence functionability of the program, but I know, that they are and I want them to remove.
Besides the current version is written with usage of the procedural approach (in main) and I want to translate her{it} to a modern object-oriented level. It will enable to expand easier a functional if there will be new ideas.
Well and - I started the latter with C ++ and it is interesting to me to remember it.

Now some words about a new functional.
Except for all that is present at the current version, I plan to add only two new items. I have taken idea from JoyTester2. program <http://personne.newmail.ru/JoyTester2-MouseJoystick/JoyTester2.exe> I Hope to you this program is known.
1) Real sensitivity of all axes of the joystick (resolution of the controller) will be calculated and shown. It can be interesting to matching different models of joysticks.
2) Interesting enough innovation (as it seems to me). It will be output window in which with the help of the joystick it is possible to draw lines. It will be similar to the window with « red and green squares », but will be drawn lines. And lines will be drawn as on direct values of the joystick, and those curves which will be in the game, in view of curves of response. (there will be a possibility of choice of one of lines or both simultaneously)
What for it is necessary? Probably you know, that the first (and not only) models Saitek X-52 had strong nonlinearity. At drawing a circle in JoyTester2 program on the screen "rhombuses" instead of "circles" were drawn. It prevented to control qualitatively an airplane in the game.
There is an opinion, that with the help of customizations of curves of response in the game, it is possible to reduce this nonlinearity of the joystick considerably. But there is a problem how to analyze the changes given by curves of response. For this purpose it also is window. If the idea is true, nonlinearity X-52 can be removed without change hardware of the joystick.

There are some more wishes, stated russianspoken virtual pilots whom I plan to realize, but it will be not in following version.

But I shall be repeated. Now I do not have free time, therefore I cannot speak about periods of an release of the new version. I hope that it will earlier BoB :D
Oleg_BS
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Oleg_BS on Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:42 am

FoolTrottel wrote:4) Would be a good compromise, but just means more work for you... and there's hardly any relevance to it...

It's very simply. I'll make it
By all means, do include them IL2-Sticks profiles, fine by me!

IMHO my and your profiles are compatible among themselves. And now you can try is simple to copy the profiles in JoyControl :D
Oleg_BS
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby FoolTrottel on Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:33 pm

Well, yer takin' this one a lot further! :smt023

Go for it! Sounds great!

Only one remark to add: Please bring back the 'Remark' textline to store within a profile! 8)
FoolTrottel
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Oleg_BS on Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:03 pm

FoolTrottel wrote:Please bring back the 'Remark' textline to store within a profile! 8)

OK! I have removed remarks only for one reason - in the old version on the form did not remain an empty seat, and change of the geometrical sizes would lead to to substantial growth of a code. And the idea has liked me.;)
Oleg_BS
Air Cadet Level 2

Previous

Return to Developers Central