VB Gurus... Any experience with .NET?

Dedicated Forum for developers of programs/utilities. To announce new or updated products, to share knowledge and ideas for development.

Moderator: CrazySchmidt

VB Gurus... Any experience with .NET?

Postby UberDemon on Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:21 pm

VB Gurus (i.e.: CrazySchmidt, Shift_E),

Have you had much experience with VB .NET? Is it worth upgrading (dishing major $$$$$ for Visual Studio .NET)?

I have been intrigued by C# .NET and VJ++ .NET as well... anything you can share with me on that?

Demon/UberDemon
Best Regards,
Demon/UberDemon
http://www.uberdemon.com
uberdemon at uberdemon.com
UberDemon
Utilities Developer

Postby CrazySchmidt on Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:06 pm

Hi UD,

I have only used "VB .net" for one small project and found I was hitting walls at every turn because the code syntax has changed considerably from VB6. You know what it's like programming in the environment you're used to, you can just sit there and type in code and it seems natural any easy, but don't expect to be able to jump straight into .net and start coding like you do with VB6 because it's just not that smooth a transition.

Having said all that, .net does seem to have a lot to offer and there is some nice new stuff in there from what I could see from my brief look at it. I will be moving to .net at some time in the near future because you simply cannot stay with the old technology forever and it is always fun to learn new stuff.

In summary going to .net from VB6 is not quite like starting to learn a new language (say Delphi to VB) but at times it feels similar because you simply can't sit there and code like you can with VB6. So it will be a matter of getting your face back into the books for a period of learning before you will be able to use it as freely as you can with VB6.

Cheers, CS. :)
CrazySchmidt
Utilities Developer

Postby UberDemon on Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:16 pm

So it will be a matter of getting your face back into the books for a period of learning before you will be able to use it as freely as you can with VB6.

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:x :shock: :cry: :evil:

Oh well... I guess I kinda knew it... I messed with a 60 day trial of VB.NET before my laptop crashed a couple of years ago and remember that the "vb6 to vb.net" migration tool was not as smooth as I wanted it to be. I guess I have been trying to avoid spending the money... but probably will do at some point. Thanks.
Best Regards,
Demon/UberDemon
http://www.uberdemon.com
uberdemon at uberdemon.com
UberDemon
Utilities Developer

Postby WWSensei on Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:25 am

Moving from c++ to C# was fairly easy. We've started redoing our product UIs with C#. A good object oriented background with C++ and/or Java helps the transition...
WWSensei
Flight Sergeant

Return to Developers Central