Eliminator

Dedicated Forum for developers of programs/utilities. To announce new or updated products, to share knowledge and ideas for development.

Moderator: CrazySchmidt

Eliminator

Postby Willy on Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:56 am

I've just uploaded my little skinning tool, which I've called Eliminator becase of how it works :partyman:

I got an error when I tried to upload via the site, so sent it in on submissions@airwarfare.com
Willy
Pilot Officer

Postby CrazySchmidt on Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:55 am

Hi Willy, can you explain a little about what it does? I am interested to know.

Cheers, CrazySchmidt. :)
CrazySchmidt
Utilities Developer

Postby Willy on Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:04 am

Hi CS, thanks for the interest and yes indeed that would be a sensible idea, why didn't I thi... :smt004 Here's a little snippit from the readme...

"This is a simple tool to help identify parts/areas of skins in the IL2 series of combat flight simulators.

It works interactively by a process of elimination, quickly reducing the search to an area 1/256th the size of the template. Often pin pointing it's position exactly."

------------------

To acheive this I made a series of skins that interact with each other at different levels.
Starting by dividing the whole template area into four distinct colours, red, blue, green & yellow. When this skin is choosen in IL2, the part you wish to identify will show up as one of the four colours, eliminating 3/4 of template staight off.
The next level of skins divides the area of the individual colours in the first skin into the four colours again. So by selecting the appropriate skin the part you seek will change colour again.
This in turn leads to another level, which again divides each previous colour by four...and so on, kind of like Russian dolls if you will, where you go in and in and the next is a miniture version of the previous.
Once you've gone through the skin changes, jump into photoshop and copy paste the skin into your template and within the appropriate square you will find your part.

Additionaly, at any time when working in IL2 the part may be two colours or even four (if your lucky). This will help alot to pinpoint it's area on the template when you go to photoshop.

Although it may sound complex, it actually works very efficeintly, the down side being the size of the decompressed skins, 85 megs :shock:
So for ease of handling I put it in an auto installer/unistaller (a mere 143k), which lets you browse to you aircraft skin folder and just as importantly lets you delete these skins at the touch of a button after your done :smt025

Sorry if this seems a liitle :rolleyes: but so far I've yet to sort out a way of posting screenies here, and in this case they would realy speak a thouand words.
I hope this is making sense as it's a tough one to explain by words alone :smt073
Last edited by Willy on Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willy
Pilot Officer

Postby Willy on Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:12 am

Well it's up....

Thanks fellows that was quick work :finga:
Willy
Pilot Officer

Return to Developers Central