No votes
Opera
21%
Other
No votes

Total votes : 19

What browser do you use/prefer?

Postby EURO_Snoopy on Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:41 am

When editing webpages here I have to take into account that 27% of our visitors do not use Internet Explorer. The chief competitor is Firefox (20%), a choice that puzzles me as having used it I am less than impressed. It had one chief advantage over Explorer, tabbed browsing and the correct display of .png graphics. Other benefits touted seemed, to me, to be exagerrated or untrue.

I have been using Internet Explorer 7 beta for a month now and am very happy with it, it has tabbed browsing and has fixed the png problem.

Security has seen some major improvements, anti phishing, pop up blocker etc.

There have also been many other improvements so that now I see no use for Firefox et al.

Essential reading: Firefox Myths

IE 7 Tour & Download

So, what browser do you prefer?
EURO_Snoopy
Site Admin

Firefox ftw.

Postby redwood on Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:05 pm

My vote is for Firefox. Open-source is the right way to go. And it's also kind of an intelligence thing... this vid explains what I mean: FirefoxFlick.
redwood
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby CrazySchmidt on Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:49 pm

I'm really enjoying IE Beta 7.

CS. :)
CrazySchmidt
Utilities Developer

Postby MaXMhZ on Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:55 pm

I use Firefox as my preferred browser. Only when I have to will I start up that ie monster (mainly for uploading files to my site). I tried allmost all browsers and I allwaya return to Firefox within at most 2 days.

I'm used to all the great extensions and plug-ins Firefox offers and the great theme selection it has :) - should I say "When it looks good it surfs good"?
:smt046

The most important reason I don't use ie is that it's from M$, and they have put stuff on my dystem time and again behind my back and without telling me. in the case of ie this is the "added security" IMHO M$ is behaving like a dictator and telling me what I need and don't need without giving me any choise. I don't want any of their idiotic security measures - I have my own and they work very well. far better than the M$ stuff which most of the time just complicates matters and doesn't give any protection really. And indeed the png doesn't get displayed correct in ie (like my avatar/sig ;)
Last edited by MaXMhZ on Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:30 am

I voted Opera, have been using it for a number of years now and am happy with it. It's very much like Firefox, it's just a case of I started using it first so hae kept on using it. It does have issues however when viewing tables as Opera deals with them slightly differently (no issues with this site).
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby BaLrOg on Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:17 pm

FireFox - mostly just because its not MS and I like it. It performs well for me and I have also now switched over to thunderbird for mail and am also happy with that.
BaLrOg
Corporal

Postby Shadow on Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:44 am

I'm a Firefox guy.

The only problem I've found with it ( and it's major blessing as well!) is that it dosen't support active X. Not a problem 99.9% of the time.

So a couple of times a year I have to fire up IE. Makes me feel so dirty, but sometimes you just have to do it :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Shadow
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby =PF=Coastie on Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:19 am

I have also been using IE beta7 for a few months and really like it. It is a beta and has some probs though very minor.

1. clicking on Java applets requires 2 clicks. One to get rid of "invisible" window and another to clink link.

2. It does not copy/paste links from FTP sites correctly. It leaves in the Blank spaces without putting in the %20 symbol which will leave the link useless.

Other than that I like it very much.

I agree with the whole "it's MS" analogy. They really do tick me off at times. However, I still don't agree with Open source either. There are just too many hands in the pot if you ask me.

IMHO, the only reason "the others" dont get hacked as much is because the average user does not use them. They are already much wiser to the ways of surfing safely and using the proper utilities to keep a clean system.

Once the General public starts using FF and others, you will see more and more "exploits and holes" found and it will be the same as IE as far a security is concerned.

My 2 cents worth.
=PF=Coastie
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby RickRuski on Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:10 am

I have just recently installed Opera and have found it faster than IE beta 7 that I was using. I have both still on my HD but find myself using Opera more than IE.
RickRuski
RickRuski
Air Cadet Level 2

Return to General Topics