Thinking of getting a new HOTAS system - need some thoughts

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy, Proud IL2 ACE

Thinking of getting a new HOTAS system - need some thoughts

Postby shockandawe on Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:46 pm

Hi, folks.

I want to get some thoughts on getting a new flight controller system. What i have now is an old Wingman Force (first edition). I have been playing with IL2 for a while and it is becoming evident that one really, REALLY needs to be able to keep track of the enemy (target) while maneuvering. This is not very easy! If you lose your target, they may well end up on your six. I understand that some of you use a ball mouse on your left to allow smooth mouse looking with one of your buttons assigned to snap your view back to front and center.

I thought of perhaps getting a new Saitek X52 stick and throttle and using the throttle's 8-way rocker to look but then I wondered if the rocker would be smooth enough. My hat switch is really not cutting it for me and I don't want to invest $100 to get a system when all I really needed was a good roller ball mouse for my left hand.

What should I do? What do you folks use? I could buy anything at this moment!

Thanks in advance! :)
shockandawe
Corporal

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:41 pm

S!

I must admit that I use CH for my set up, but that does mean the use of rudder pedals, as they are no twist sticks.

X52 however is great value and does have the twist stick, there is also a micro mouse on the throttle that you can use to control the view, so it’ll be smooth. Of course you can go and get a TrackIR for view control, but that’s if you have the money (it’s not essential, but I can’t fly without it now).
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby shockandawe on Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:13 pm

Thanks so much for your reply. After looking at what you said I went out and studied my options. What is really giving me the greatest difficulty as a beginner is tracking the targets so it seems that TrackIR might be more to the point. I think I will try to peddle a TrackIR to my SO. Then, my next purchase will be a Saitek X52.

Again, thanks very much. I am kind of having a difficult time getting started with IL2 - its a bit overwhelming for someone who is new to this.
shockandawe
Corporal

Postby MaXMhZ on Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:29 pm

Hi Shockandawe. Allways try a stick/hotas before buying one.
What I use is the Saitek evo stick with an X45 throttle. The Saitek profiling software lets you assign any hatswitch to "mouse mode". This is what I did.
No matter what view system you use, there's no guarantee that you won't loose track of your opponent though. There are several options; the best ( and most expensive) being TrackIr

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby MudPuppy on Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:38 am

Hang in there, Shockandawe! You said IL2 is a bit overwhelming when you start out and I'd agree today. Last night I replaced my old Logitech joystick with an X52 from Saitek. After loading the drivers and thinking I had profiled just enough controls to hop into a Sturmovik for a quick mission after some transports....holy cow!!...I was careening across the sky like a drunk albatross who'd lost his glasses. :smt087

I'm looking forward to the weekend and having some free time to profile the X52 (great tips here and in other forums on this) and practice, practice with the new stick and commands. Decent controllers with good functionality are important but nothing takes the place of LOTS of practice and sharpening your skills. Plus, lots of practice.

(btw, my X52 is a reconditioned controller from the Saitek website....substantial savings)

MudPuppy
MudPuppy
Warrant Officer

Postby shockandawe on Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:18 pm

Now I am wondering about force feedback. I currently have this ancient FFB stick that doesn't have twist control or anything. I was thinking about the Saitek X52 but then was worried that I would miss the FFB. What advice do you have?

For an FFB stick I looked at the Saitek Evo FFB but it has buttons on its base that it doesn't look like you could reach unless you take your hand off the stick! I realize they are designing for this thing to be adjustable between left and right handed but it really looks like one could only get at three base buttons at a time. What gives!?

TIA
shockandawe
Corporal

Postby MaXMhZ on Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:15 pm

It's correct that only 3 of the 6 base buttons are easy to reach on the evo's
There are however5 buttons on top of the stick plus the normal trigger and an 8-way hatswitch that can be put into mouse mode (emulating the normal mouse with adjustable constant-speed movement) The base buttons you'd normally program for less-used commands anyway. I think the evo is a very good stick (esspecially for the price) although the M$ sticks are very good too. The top buttons on either side of the evo can be assigned as shift-state selectors. This will double the number of other buttons you assigned (once in normal and once in shifted state). The evo has a very nice profiling (=programming) utility too and the throttle can be programmed in a banded mode where it emulates keypresses/commands depending on the position it travels through. Although you need to get used to a twist stick for rudder control it doesn't take long and after a while it becomes second nature

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby MaXMhZ on Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:37 am

If you're still looking Shockandawe, check the X52Pro that was just announced for the start of 2007 by Saitek.

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby Bearcat on Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:42 pm

The mouse pan on the Saitexs (X-xx) functions just like a mouse. You might want o consider Track IR though. Start to stash away for it.... it is worth every penny and I have a TIR2... it is up to TIR4 now. I am just waiting for BoB to upgrade though.. Im sure by then there will be a newer version. In te meantime though the mouse pan on the Saiteks is great. IMO the Saiteks are the best low cost HOTAS setup available.... and thier quality gives siome of the more expensive sticks some serious comptetition.
332nd V.F.G. REDTAILS

Sturmovik Essentials
Bearcat
Sergeant

Return to General Topics