Head Tracking Software

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy, Proud IL2 ACE

Head Tracking Software

Postby Mr_Robinini on Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:11 pm

I have discovered a free head tracking software from IBM, for use with a standard webcam.
It can be found at http://www-03.ibm.com/easy/page/50?Open ... eadpointer

The thing works quite well in XP, and the (mouse) pointer follows my head around quite neatly.

I'm sure this can be used to move the POV in accordance with the gameplayers head (2 axis). Has anyone had any sucess with this?

I have tried with IL2, but the pointer does not seem to work when the game is in play, despite the tracking software running happily in the background. Is there any way I can ensure the tracking software influences the mouse position DURING the game?

Thanks
Mr_Robinini
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby MaXMhZ on Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:13 pm

hI Mr_Robinini, Welcome to Airwarfare Network!!
There are several known utilities that use a webcam to track head movement and convert it to POV in-game, e.g. Cam2Pan and Freelook (both can be found in the Utilities section on Airwarfare's main page). The little experience that I had with these sort of programs, made me switch back to my hatswitch-controlled POV very quickly. Most of the time recognition of head movement is not all that great and needs a good illumination of the user's head. Sometimes a little bit of help from a little polystyrene ball or a white dot attached to a baseball cap can do wonders there. I do know a cheap B/W camera with bad resolution works bettter than an expensive one. due to the higher framerates they can handle. (framerate is a LOT more important than resolution here)
It must also be kept in mind that these programs can put a big burdon on a system's resources, and it will certainly need getting used to.

It's a very interesting find though, Thanks for posting!

Sorry I can't be of much help here, but I'm sure some of our members have been fiddling around with these sort of utilities, maybe they can tell a bit more about setup etc. to make it work in-game.

S! MaX

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby 3DFlyer on Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:26 pm

Ahhh, if you've used other head tracking "type" emulators then you haven't tried Track IR 4 Pro. I have TIR 4 Pro, and it supports 6 DOF (degrees of freedom) which totally tracks all possible head positions in space. Some game don't fully support it, and only support 3 or 4 DOF, but it's still much better than a hat switch. Once you fly with it, and get used to it...about 2 weeks, and get it setup properly for your tastes you can't fly without it.

I use it in Falcon 4: Allied Force along with a full CH HOTAS (FS,PT,PP), and I also use VAC of course with a Plantronics GameCom Pro USB headset. All of this keep my hands on the stick, and add to SA, and keeps me focused on the aircraft and not all these other things I would naturally be doing in the actual aircraft. I don't need to look around with my thumb...i just look around naturally. In dogfights it can be a lifesaver. Your head has to be ona swivel and that's hard to do with a hat. I love my TIR 4 Pro and wouldn't give it up for the world. I just couldn't fly without it.
3DFlyer
Corporal

Return to General Topics