Under attack?

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy, Proud IL2 ACE

Under attack?

Postby Binks on Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:12 pm

Here's a poser.

I'm using a Compaq TFT8000 screen, with a kind of soft vinyl outer face. I just wiped off a small beetle, but it happened to be behind the vinyl. Now, it's squished onto the back of the screen, and looks for all the world like an attacking bogie!
Does anyone have any idea if it's possible to clean behind these screens by dismantling the casing, or is this a tad dangerous for continued operation?

All ideas gratefully received.

Binks
Binks
Lance Air Corporal

Postby MaXMhZ on Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:43 pm

I think it would be best to ask the supplier/manufacturer.
Do you mean the vinyl is in front of the screen and you have to look through it to the display? If so; are you sure it's not a protection layer you should take off after you installed the monitor?
If it's a LCD type, make sure you don't clean it with a cleaner that contains alcohol. This will in time damage the anti-reflection layer on the LCD. It's best to clean with a damp soft spounge and some dish washing cleaner and then dry gently (don't rub or push on an LCD) with a soft clean cloth. Don't use paper like a paper hankerchief or cleaning paper - this is too rough and will leave scratches in time.

Bugs - even if they're dead they keep bugging lol - Good Luck!

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby MudPuppy on Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:15 pm

It's not that I'm unsympathetic to your problem, but I had to chuckle at this one.
I've had ladybugs that swarm all around my farmhouse late each fall. Being an old house, there's always a small swarm that ends up in the house. Several times this fall I would do a quick glance from the cockpit and start to respond to the new bogie on my 6 or 9 only to realize it was another pesky ladybug crawling across the LCD.

Good luck, at least his squished little beetle body doesn't look like Rodan swooping in to devestate your village. :lol:
MudPuppy
MudPuppy
Warrant Officer

Bug

Postby Binks on Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:16 pm

Thanks,
I think it's probably best left alone. The screen material is quite soft, and definitely doesn't come off.
He keeps me on my toes whilst in the air because of the resemblance to a fighter silhouette.
Maybe not a bad thing,

Binks
Binks
Lance Air Corporal

Postby WWSensei on Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:22 am

Have the same thing, only for me it was a small black ant. I thought he was ON the screen and went to flick him off only to realize he was IN the screen...I now a small black semi-ant shaped dot about two inches up and in on the right side of my LCD.

I have dodged that bogie and swooped to attack it about 5 times a day since it happened.
WWSensei
Flight Sergeant

Postby CrazySchmidt on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:47 am

LOL All I can say is thank God for my old reliable CRT.

CrazySchmidt. :)
CrazySchmidt
Utilities Developer

Postby AndyDuke on Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:39 pm

I can sympothise with you, I've got two bugs on mine so I know the confusion you're going through in the heat of battle.
AndyDuke
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby MaXMhZ on Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:16 pm

Maybe we should start an inquiry about the weirdest encapsuled animal in an LCD - anyone lost his dog or cat lately?

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Return to General Topics