Again PTA

A place for discussion about VAC, get answers and chat with the author. This is a good place for ideas and problem solving. So come on in and make your posts now.

Moderator: Shift_E

Again PTA

Postby GADGET on Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:19 am

There is no way I can make PTA to work with FB+AEP+PF, no matter what key combination I assign to the PTA function of VAC 1.8.2.

I have tried F12, LCTL+F12, MID mouse button, and several others as PTA and nothing works.

I have assigned those keys to a button on my Cougar, but I also have tried pushing them directly with no luck.

Any ideas???

Thank you.
GADGET
Lance Air Corporal

Postby Shift_E on Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:28 pm

This has got to be the most troublesome feature in VAC. First, doesn’t control the microphone at all, voice recognition will occur with the PTA pressed or not. The only thing the PTA key does is allows the recognized command to be sent. The main problem when using the PTA key is it requires a key press at the same time as the command being sent. Say you have an Action set up to raise the landing gear <g>, so each time you say “raise gear” VAC issues the <g> key and the gear retracts. Now you add the PTA key, say <Ctrl> and you want to raise the gear, while pressing <Ctrl> you say “raise gear”, VAC sends the <g> key, but the game sees this as <Ctrl>+<g> and the key combination is not recognized by the game. The only way around this is one, don’t use the PTA key with theses games or two, assign a mouse button as the PTA key. Most programs I’ve seen, see mouse and keyboard as separate inputs making the mouse button about the only button you can use as the PTA.

Just to recap, voice recognitions occurs with or without the PTA key pressed only the keyboard commands will be sent or not. Remember the key assigned to PTA will be sent along with the recognized keyboard commands.

Make sure you are not using PTD and PTA on the same profile, that will not work.

If you feel you must use the PTA key, the ambient noises are so great VAC will not recognize any commands, then use the middle mouse button. Make sure it is pressed before speaking the phrase and released after the phrase is recognized.

I will test the keyboard media keys to see if they will work as a PTA key in IL2 and other games that have problems, if they do work I’ll include those in the next update.

I hope that helps,
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
http://qmt.webhop.net
Voice Activated Command
http://www.dwvac.com
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby GADGET on Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:54 pm

Thank you for your fast response.

I have used already middle mouse button and it doenst work.

I understand how the PTA works now...

Maybe a suggestion would be adding Direct-X buttons up to 36, so assigning a DX30, for instance, not used for any other function in the simulator, would result in sending DX30 + COMMAND, so maybe only the command would be recived and undestood by the simulator.

Only an idea...
GADGET
Lance Air Corporal

Postby Shift_E on Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:25 pm

You mean you still can’t get the PTA to work for you in IL2? Because the PTA does work.

I’m still looking into the Direct X input, though it may not happen if the overhead is too high. Keeping the VAC System lean and mean is my number one priority. :)
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
Voice Activated Command
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby 3DFlyer on Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:09 pm

One thing I really like about VAC is it uses very little system resources.

That is the trademark of a professional that knows how to code efficiently. There are a blue million programmers out there that code, but very few code efficiently.

VAC uses very litle memory, and it only uses a peak of 12% CPU when it is executing a command, and it only just barely hits 12%, and then a second later it's back to zero. It's very quick if you watch it through the task manager while testing phrases.

You've got a great program Shift_E. I've noticed that you continue to update it with improvements frequently too. You have quite a talent for designing a program that is intuitive, and easy to setup, yet is still very efficient, and works bug free.

I used to code in Cobol years ago on an AS500, and i know that it's more of an art than logic. When you're new, it's logic, but the more you do it, the more it becomes an art.

I really do enjoy using this program, and it's worth every penny of the small 10 dollar fee. :)
3DFlyer
Corporal

Postby GADGET on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:19 am

Shift_E wrote:You mean you still can’t get the PTA to work for you in IL2? Because the PTA does work.

I have tried all you said.

NO LUCK !

:?

Mouse buttons do not work.
Key combinations do not work.

Is not only a matter of HOTAS (cougar here). I I use the actual Middle Mouse Button on my mouse, still no results.

I have to say that I only tried in Pacific Fighters and no other sim. Maybe is the simulator that causes the problem?

EDIT:

Sorry.... I forgot a little detail:

Make sure you are not using PTD and PTA on the same profile, that will not work.

Will try in a couple of days when I get home.
GADGET
Lance Air Corporal

Postby GADGET on Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:52 pm

Ok,

I have tried PTA with M mouse button and PTD disabled.

It works for a while, but after 10 minutes or so, it stops working with FB+PF.

When I disable PTA it works again. It also works with PTA and KEYBOARD TESTER, but again not in game.

Here are some of the typical commands I use (wingman for instance):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<profile>
<!--Pacific Fighters command Set-->
<command name="Wingman-Cover Me" phrase="Wingman cover me" category="COMM WINGMAN">
<key extended="TAB" pause="100" repeat="1" duration="200"/>
<key value="1" extended="NONE" pause="10" repeat="1" duration="10"/>
</command>
<command name="Wingman-Fire At Will_1" phrase="Wingman fire at will" category="COMM WINGMAN">
<key extended="TAB" pause="100" repeat="1" duration="200"/>
<key value="2" extended="NONE" pause="10" repeat="1" duration="10"/>
</command>

I finally had to deactivate PTA and activate again PTD to be able to use Team Speak with VAC.

Any sugestions?
GADGET
Lance Air Corporal

Postby Shift_E on Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:33 am

What is the reason you want to use PTA?

If PTA works on the Keyboard Tester, then yes I would say it’s a conflict between input assignments in PF and VAC or it could be on the HOTAS. I just don’t know with the information I have. I do know the PTA works in VAC in whatever program I use.

Create a desktop shortcut of “VAC System” then open the properties of the short and add “-1,0,1” as parameters. Then try running the VAC System with a PTA assign, it will create a file call “Log.txt” send that and the profile you use to me and I’ll look it over and report back to you. In the VAC Builder under “Help/Check for update” is the email address to use.
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
Voice Activated Command
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Return to Voice Activated Command (VAC)