PTA not working in new version

A place for discussion about VAC, get answers and chat with the author. This is a good place for ideas and problem solving. So come on in and make your posts now.

Moderator: Shift_E

PTA not working in new version

Postby GADGET on Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:44 pm

It is again PTA function.

This time it does not matter if it is selected or not... VAC still listens to commands and activaes them even if any key is presed to PTA.

I selected MIDDLE MOUSE BUTTON, as recommended, and even EXCLUSIVE to avoid any problems, but it does work excatly as if no PTA were selected, VAC is always active listening and executing commands.

Please check it out.

Thank you
GADGET
Lance Air Corporal

Postby Shift_E on Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:20 pm

Hi Gadget,

I tried to explain the function and operation of the PTA switch to you. Let me ask you a question, how do you expect the PTA to work?
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
http://qmt.webhop.net
Voice Activated Command
http://www.dwvac.com
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby GADGET on Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:28 am

Hi

If I understand OK, VAC listens all the time what is being said. If no special function is selected, then VAC automatically excutes the command said by the user.

The execution of the function can be activated o deactivated via PTA or PTD.

PTD sets VAC on standby the execution of commands, so no interference is produced when using other programs such as Team Speak, that also needs a key to be activated and words pronounced.

PTA sets VAC on the execution mode when a key is pressed. The rest of the time VAC listens but does not execute commands.

Both modes are excluyent, so only one can be executed at a time.

If I am ok so far, my configuration now is PTA assigned to MOUSE MB, and no PTD key selected (blank). So to execute VAC commands I should first press the PTA key (mouse MB).

Instead, what I get is VAC listening and executing commands all the time, no matter if PTA is pressed, assigned, exclusived, or otherwhise. It is as if PTA did no exist at all.

I can be wrong, but my guess is that this time is a bug.

If not... what should I do to execute VAC commands only when a key is pressed (not all the time), as if I had a PTT button on a microphone of a two way radio set.

Thank you.
GADGET
Lance Air Corporal

Postby Shift_E on Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:40 pm

Hi Gadget,

I did find an error in the PTA switch and what you describe is not the way VAC should be working. I’ll work on a fix for this and issue an update.
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
Voice Activated Command
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby GADGET on Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:13 pm

Thank you SHIFT-E

Waiting patienly for the patch.

Great job.
GADGET
Lance Air Corporal

Postby Shift_E on Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:20 pm

The update is loaded on the web site.

Enjoy,
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
Voice Activated Command
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby GADGET on Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:30 pm

I am really enjoying VAC in offline mode in iL-2 FB+AEP+PF.

Nevertheless I am having big problems in online mode, specially when hosting (when the CPU is at the busiest), thing that renders VAC totally useless.

I have tried with PTA, PTD and none of them. Nothing works.

My CPU priority in VAc is ABOVE AVERAGE.

Do you have any idea of what should be causing the problem. Any suggestions?

Thank you.
GADGET
Lance Air Corporal

Postby Shift_E on Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:19 pm

Hi Gadget,

Without knowing the environment you are using VAC in (desktop microphone verses headset, speaker volume, is IL2 playing music and radio voices, etc…) and system specs, I can only guess. The first thing I would do is lower VAC’s priority to normal. If you are not using a headset, you MUST isolate the microphone from the game noise. If you do not insolate the game noise from the microphone you will get the very situation you describe and the PTA or PTD buttons will be of no help, they were not designed for that purpose.

If your system specs are border line for running IL2, I would find someone else to host the game. If you are running Team Speak, that is one more program that VAC will have to share the sound card with.

You say you can use VAC in IL2 in offline mode, look at the other programs you are running in online mode and you’ll find the most likely cause of your bottleneck.
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
Voice Activated Command
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby GADGET on Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:53 am

I am using a HGU-55/P flight helmet adapted for PC, with a 5/1 headset fitted into the helmet (+ Track-IR). I use no speakers, only my helmet, so background noises in the attic from where I fly are limited to some squeaks from my PVC cockpit setup, breathing (I can't avoid that), the PC fan, and the birds flying from outside the house.

Microphone is a regular "button" style (8 Ohms I believe but not sure now), easily found in any electronics store. Over the microphone I have a foam "ball" to supress hisses and other undesierable background noises. Maybe I should try to "directioning" the mic by adding some silicone paste on the back of the mic housing... one of these days.

My setup is a 3.4+ GHtz Athlon, and 1.5 Gb of RAM. It is 2 years old by now, but still doing its job... it should last until the new Battle of Brittain is released.

Nevertheless I suspect of the sound card, a SB Live that is 3 years old.

Following your advice, I shall close any background processes with ENDITALL and run VAC in NORMAL CPU priority, and start from here.

I dont know if it has something to do with it, but when setting the mic volume with the included VAC utility, the phrase THIS PAPAYA TASTES PERFECT sounds like something recorded at twice the speed of the phrase originally said. I would swear that at the begining of using VAC this did not happened.
GADGET
Lance Air Corporal

Postby Shift_E on Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:24 pm

Hi Gadget,

Your computer specs look more than capable of handling what you are running.

I think you’ve found the cause of your problems. The recorded phrase “This papaya tastes perfect” should sound exactly the way you say it. I searched the internet and couldn’t find anything related to the increased playback speed, but I did find a couple of things that may help.

First, run DirectX Diagnostic Tool, click on “Start” and select “Run”. Then type in “dxdiag” and press <Enter>. Click on the “DirectX Files” tab and see if there are any errors. Then click on the “Sound” tab and slide the Hardware Sound Acceleration Level to “Basic acceleration” and run through the “Test DirectSound”.

Make sure you have the latest sound card drivers and they are installed correctly. Use this link for more troubleshooting information.

I don’t recommend shutting down Windows services or programs. I understand this is a debatable subject, so all I’ll say is I don’t recommend shutting down Windows services or programs.

You mentioned your soundcard being 3 years old, rather than replacing it, you could try a different headset. If you get a USB headset to use for VAC and TS then you release the extra work from your current soundcard. It’s like adding another sound card to your system to share the work load.

I hope this helps,
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
Voice Activated Command
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby GADGET on Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:35 pm

Thank you very very much for your interest.

I have found that my sound card is exactly:

Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM) 5.12.1.283

I have tried everything you said and found an error in the direct-x diagnostic tool, with BASIC ACELERATION:

YOUR SOUND CARD IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH HARDWARE STORAGE. SOUND WILL BE REPRODUCED ONLY FROM SOFTWARE BUFFERS.

I started to have this speeded-up plays of recordings last week or so.
When last week tried to start TS, I have found that no sound were trasnmited. After driving me crazy for a while, changing to another flying helmet, adding fresh batteries to its mic amplifier, etc, finally I checked the Windows Sound Recorder and found that for n particular reason the MICRO was no more the reconrding device, but WAVE/MP3

Before last weekend I started also to have problems with VAC, but I did not make any conection that could relate both problems.

Maybe I have a virus?
GADGET
Lance Air Corporal

Postby GADGET on Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:45 pm

I am performing some tests.

I am recording my voice with Windows Sound Recorder and it works OK.

The I start VAC and I recorded again a count up to 10 with the Win Sound Recorder... the recorded sound is now about 1/2 the volume intensity and some background noise can also be heart.

No speeded-up sounds so far. I can not reproduce the error.
GADGET
Lance Air Corporal

Postby GADGET on Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:47 am

I have been out of town for 2 days.

Right now I am experimenting the "accelerated" anoying effect and VAC is not working.

PS

I have discovered that new version of TS is causing this problem.

I just turned off TS and recording is again normal and VAC works fine.

I have permanently deselected DIREC SOUND from TS and have choosen WAVE instead. Hope this solves the problem once and for all.

Thank you.
GADGET
Lance Air Corporal

Return to Voice Activated Command (VAC)