Help! VAC no longer working properly

A place for discussion about VAC, get answers and chat with the author. This is a good place for ideas and problem solving. So come on in and make your posts now.

Moderator: Shift_E

Help! VAC no longer working properly

Postby Moggy_AH on Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:07 pm

I've had VAC up and running with no problems for a couple of months. I noticed some hesitation in some commands (in IL-2 PF) starting a week or so ago, when I had to repeat commands in order to get it to work.

Now, VAC reads only a tiny % of the commands I give it, after repeating the command 5 or 6 times. And, when my headphone mike is "on," it gives unspoken false commands in-game affecting my in-game views, making the game unplayable with VAC running. When I turn VAC off, these problems go away.

What's happened? Is my profile or VAC program corrupted?

I opened notepad with the VAC PF profile on, and it registered only a tiny % of the profile commands.
Moggy_AH
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Ol' Roy on Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:50 pm

All kinds of reasons for your experience.
1) Hardware
2) Software
3) Voice recognition

Check hardware and voice first -- Go to the Control Panel and click "Speech" icon.
Check Language for Recognizer 5.1 and check mark for Default Speech Profile (unless you have added a new one).
Next run through Configure Microphone to hear what you sound like using your mic. Pay attention to background noise and don't place the mic directly in front of your mouth to avoid blowing on it.
If the repeated sounds are clear, the mic and audio system may not be a problem. However, the mic connecting wires could be a source. Make a constant sound (such as Hummmmm) and move the mic wires while doing it. If you hear pops or breakup in your sound, the wires are surely suspect.
It's a pain, but run the Train Profile. The more you do, the better it gets in recognizing your voice.

Check the mic volume control by double clicking the speaker icon in the bottom task bar. This brings up the sound mixer. If the mic control is not showing, under options > properties, check the microphone box. Raise the control to the top. NOTE: Sometimes after a session in the VAC Builder, the volume slider will go to zero on exit. So be sure to check it before gaming.

I don't suspect a software problem, but you might try a re-install if you haven't already.

Let us know how it all comes out.
Ol' Roy
Ol' Roy
Air Cadet Level 2

Doh! Problems solved

Postby Moggy_AH on Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:41 pm

Thanks, Ol' Roy:

Turns out the problem was with the default profile I was using with the MS English Recognizer 5.1, not with VAC.

Installed and trained a new profile: Problem solved; VAC again up and running perfectly!

Was wondering how the default profile got corrupted. Finally decided it must be due to MS coding calling for shut down or self-corrupt if cursed at excessively!

Thanks again!
Moggy_AH
Air Cadet Level 2

Return to Voice Activated Command (VAC)