Vista 32 support

A place for discussion about VAC, get answers and chat with the author. This is a good place for ideas and problem solving. So come on in and make your posts now.

Moderator: Shift_E

Vista 32 support

Postby Polecat on Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:10 pm

Is vac compatible with Vista?

Out
Polecat
Corporal

Re: Vista 32 support

Postby Shift_E on Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:26 am

Polecat wrote:Is vac compatible with Vista?

Out

Hi Polcat,

No VAC will not run in Windows Vista 32 or 64 bit. I just got Vista and looking into it. Microsoft said they will support Visual Basic 6 in Vista, but I can't install it yet. :(

Salute!
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
http://qmt.webhop.net
Voice Activated Command
http://www.dwvac.com
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby Polecat on Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:02 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply buddy. Great program! I recommend VAC to all of my friends. Please update for Vista ASAP.

Thank you

~Paul
Polecat
Corporal

Postby 3DFlyer on Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:46 am

Avoid Vista if you want to be able to game and fly simulators. Vista is incompatible with most games. It is also incompatible with Grpahics drivers, many monitors, all types of periferals, and all kinds of hardware. It will be something like a year before it starts to get straightened out. Even the games that will run on it run very poorly due to the graphics driver issues. Vista is just not supported enough yet to be a viable OS. Maybe in year it will be...then again it could turn out to be another ME.
3DFlyer
Corporal

Vista compatably

Postby Judan on Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:19 am

I disagree with your opinion on Vista,I fly CFS3 IL2FB FSX F4AF and Pacific Fighters and they all run just as good or better on Vista as they did on XP.The problem I have is with VAC and Hyperlobby not running right.I remember when they first came out with XP I had some driver issues and some games and sims would not work right on XP. But they got it all staighten out in the end.
Salute Judan
Judan
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Polecat on Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:29 am

3DFlyer wrote:Avoid Vista if you want to be able to game and fly simulators. Vista is incompatible with most games. It is also incompatible with Grpahics drivers, many monitors, all types of periferals, and all kinds of hardware. It will be something like a year before it starts to get straightened out. Even the games that will run on it run very poorly due to the graphics driver issues. Vista is just not supported enough yet to be a viable OS. Maybe in year it will be...then again it could turn out to be another ME.

A bit off the mark IMHO. Let me give you my take on this since I am running in a dual boot on a 3 puter LAN between XP and Vista and currently at the begining stages of testing it as a gaming platform with very early buggy as hell audio and video drivers.

Considering the state of the Vista beta drivers from Nvidia, ATI and Creative, it should come as no surprise that Vista is not an option for replacing XP as a gaming platform at this time. Of course, in fact this has very little to do with Vista itself. The Audio/Video drivers are beta, very buggy, and still being worked out. IMHO this is a weakness many mistakenly blame Vista for. The OS is actually quite good and stable at this time. Much more so than XP upon initial release. Once there are really good Nvidia/ATI/Creative drivers available as well as more software/driver support of some high end game controllers (CH etc.) I think Vista will handle most games just fine. LOMAC does run at high frame rates with some anomilies. Armed assault runs fine and I am now testing other games and will report back my results shortly. Honestly it is the lack of good drivers from these other companies that is holding back the potential of this OS not the reverse. You can bet the majority of the resources from all of these companies will now be invested in Vista support over XP as well.

As a far as hardware not working under Vista well lets see:
TrackIR = Works
HOTAS Cougar = Works
Printer = works
Scanner = works
Touchbuddy = works

All devices in device manager have working drivers and there are no unknown devices or mis configurations I can find. Had a few issues on installation but nothing major to report except very over all stable operation on 3 machines and very early "too early to make judgements on Vista gaming potential" beta drivers.

I would never rely on Vista over XP of course but if you can manage the price tag of the new OS and the skills to set up a dual boot (or beter yet a seperate disk)you might enjoy getting into it. I know I am loving every minute of it.

Out
Polecat
Corporal

Postby Polecat on Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:03 pm

Will you be adding Vista support in the near future or not? If so when might this be?

Thanks

Out
Polecat
Corporal

Postby 3DFlyer on Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:53 pm

Polecat wrote:
3DFlyer wrote:Avoid Vista if you want to be able to game and fly simulators. Vista is incompatible with most games. It is also incompatible with Grpahics drivers, many monitors, all types of periferals, and all kinds of hardware. It will be something like a year before it starts to get straightened out. Even the games that will run on it run very poorly due to the graphics driver issues. Vista is just not supported enough yet to be a viable OS. Maybe in year it will be...then again it could turn out to be another ME.

A bit off the mark IMHO. Let me give you my take on this since I am running in a dual boot on a 3 puter LAN between XP and Vista and currently at the begining stages of testing it as a gaming platform with very early buggy as hell audio and video drivers.

Considering the state of the Vista beta drivers from Nvidia, ATI and Creative, it should come as no surprise that Vista is not an option for replacing XP as a gaming platform at this time. Of course, in fact this has very little to do with Vista itself. The Audio/Video drivers are beta, very buggy, and still being worked out. IMHO this is a weakness many mistakenly blame Vista for. The OS is actually quite good and stable at this time. Much more so than XP upon initial release. Once there are really good Nvidia/ATI/Creative drivers available as well as more software/driver support of some high end game controllers (CH etc.) I think Vista will handle most games just fine. LOMAC does run at high frame rates with some anomilies. Armed assault runs fine and I am now testing other games and will report back my results shortly. Honestly it is the lack of good drivers from these other companies that is holding back the potential of this OS not the reverse. You can bet the majority of the resources from all of these companies will now be invested in Vista support over XP as well.

TrackIR = Works
HOTAS Cougar = Works
Printer = works
Scanner = works
Touchbuddy = works

All devices in device manager have working drivers and there are no unknown devices or mis configurations I can find. Had a few issues on installation but nothing major to report except very over all stable operation on 3 machines and very early "too early to make judgements on Vista gaming potential" beta drivers.

I would never rely on Vista over XP of course but if you can manage the price tag of the new OS and the skills to set up a dual boot (or beter yet a seperate disk)you might enjoy getting into it. I know I am loving every minute of it.

Out

Actually my post was spot on the mark. If you had done your homework, you'd know the GFX Card makers currently do not fully support Vista. Mnay of the drivers functions (such as aspect scaling, and other critical functions) are broken by Vista and it will be some time before there is support for it. Perfiferals that work and are supported are great, but it doesn't do alot of good is the GFX card's drivers aren't supppoted. Another issues with it is FPS drop. Becasue the drivers are not fully supported, they are also not fully optimized for it and these FPS drops have been shown on just about every benchmarking site, OC'ing site, and IT forum I have been to. Until DX 10 is out, and is fully supported by the GFX card companies this FPS drop is pretty much gonna be there.

Vista is probably OK for Internet surfing, and that kind of stuff, but it is not a replacement for XP and won;t be for at least another year. It can't even be trusted until MS gets reports of the Security Holes I know it has, and closes them up. This is just about the time the hackers have a field day. They love brand new OS's, becasue they know there are venerabilities, and they exploit them. It's perfect timing for them. They have a OS that is out, one that has no security fixes for it yet, and they've had plenty of time to develop exploits for it. Waiting at least a year after a new OS comes out to see if it's gonna hold up is always a smart idea.
3DFlyer
Corporal

Postby Rattler on Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:55 pm

Polecat wrote:

TrackIR = Works
HOTAS Cougar = Works
Printer = works
Scanner = works
Touchbuddy = works

Out

There are more issues than you stated. Starforce is looked at as a Virus so Lockon Fc will not run. The big issue with Vista is not stability or lack of drivers at this time, that will come. There are a lot of devices only 1 or 2 years old that Companies will not be supporting under Vista. It has a large CPU drain so you need the right CPU which is going to cost you more than you think if you are running high end games and as you say your graphics card as well will have to be replaced. Also motherboard. The biggest problem with Vista is "Content Protection" not OS protection but content protection for 3rd party interests and I don't think I have to say who they are. Yes Vista is stable but it will not fly for most people due to "content protection" problems. I see no problem with Protecting the OS from hackers and people who want to cause problems with the OS itself. I fully support Mr. G. in that context but this is being driven by other parties right now and Mr. G. should have told them to solve their own problems and not try to put it in a PC. There is a reason why driver development is slow and IMHO, Vista as it stands at present will not be accepted by the largerest supporters, so wait as will most and we may see just the OS we all want to have, stable and fully supported and no third party input, just Mr. G. and his very good new OS. Not Vista.
Rattler
Rattler
Lance Air Corporal

Postby 3DFlyer on Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:12 am

I'm glad to see that Vista block that StarForce and the crap that uses it. That's a plus. :) I wouldn't call that an issue, that's a plus. I got infected by that StarForce crap with an FC download and it screwed up a 300 dollar drive, and I'd love to take that out of ED's and SF's ass both, and the day I see a lawsuit brough against these two companies I will. That crap was loaded without my permission, and I don't put up with that crap. Not only that, but when approached about how to rid my system of it, the assholes at that damned forum they run immediately banned me for asking how to get rid of it. I guess they think if they ignore the problem it'll go away. Well, it won't, and it hasn't, and I haven't forgot about that episode, and in time they will pay for it. I started action that helped to get Ubisoft to rid all of their game titles of the crap, and I don't give up, nor do I go away. Their games at ED are gonna be their undoing. I think they need a lesson in how we do things on this side of the pond. :wink:

The Content protection schemes I suspect will be quickly handled by other parties if you get my drift.
3DFlyer
Corporal

Postby Rattler on Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:41 am

3DFlyer wrote:I'm glad to see that Vista block that StarForce and the crap that uses it. That's a plus. :) I wouldn't call that an issue, that's a plus. I got infected by that StarForce crap with an FC download and it screwed up a 300 dollar drive, and I'd love to take that out of ED's and SF's ass both, and the day I see a lawsuit brough against these two companies I will. That crap was loaded without my permission, and I don't put up with that crap. Not only that, but when approached about how to rid my system of it, the assholes at that damned forum they run immediately banned me for asking how to get rid of it. I guess they think if they ignore the problem it'll go away. Well, it won't, and it hasn't, and I haven't forgot about that episode, and in time they will pay for it. I started action that helped to get Ubisoft to rid all of their game titles of the crap, and I don't give up, nor do I go away. Their games at ED are gonna be their undoing. I think they need a lesson in how we do things on this side of the pond. :wink:

The Content protection schemes I suspect will be quickly handled by other parties if you get my drift.

Very sorry to hear that Starforce caused you such an issue. I would do the same if I were in your shoes. I don't think Ed will use Starforce inBS as there have been many polls against it but we will see. So far Knock on wood, it has not caused me any problems. If it does you will have a partner.

Content protection, I sure hope your right. It should have never been there in the first place.

There is more happening than we can find out. XP support now to 2014. Fast SP1. Giving people no choice if you by DELL and I can't think of the other two doing the same. I never buy from a Manufacturer. I have it built the way I want by a Computer Shop that has a very respectable reputation and outstanding customer support. I don't understand why more people don't go this route for desktop PC's, they get more for their hard earned money and they can go down the street and talk face to face. I know one time I came in with what I wanted but they quickly pointed out some compatibility issues and suggest a better alternative which only increased my cost by $20. I have had 3 upgrades from them and have never had an issue or loss of down time with the computer it self. Software yes(registry mechanic 5.0) screwed up HD, toke it to my shop and they fixed it for nothing. Reformate and re-install. Now that's service. Get that from Dell or any other company, don't think so. Long enough. Good Luck with ED and Starforce, I can only wish you all the best. Cheers. :wink:
Rattler
Rattler
Lance Air Corporal

Postby Polecat on Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:38 pm

3DFlyer wrote:Actually my post was spot on the mark. If you had done your homework, you'd know the GFX Card makers currently do not fully support Vista. Mnay of the drivers functions (such as aspect scaling, and other critical functions) are broken by Vista and it will be some time before there is support for it. Perfiferals that work and are supported are great, but it doesn't do alot of good is the GFX card's drivers aren't supppoted. Another issues with it is FPS drop. Becasue the drivers are not fully supported, they are also not fully optimized for it and these FPS drops have been shown on just about every benchmarking site, OC'ing site, and IT forum I have been to. Until DX 10 is out, and is fully supported by the GFX card companies this FPS drop is pretty much gonna be there.

Vista is probably OK for Internet surfing, and that kind of stuff, but it is not a replacement for XP and won;t be for at least another year. It can't even be trusted until MS gets reports of the Security Holes I know it has, and closes them up. This is just about the time the hackers have a field day. They love brand new OS's, becasue they know there are venerabilities, and they exploit them. It's perfect timing for them. They have a OS that is out, one that has no security fixes for it yet, and they've had plenty of time to develop exploits for it. Waiting at least a year after a new OS comes out to see if it's gonna hold up is always a smart idea.

Nope your post was not spot on. It is filled with some what out dated information and a fair amount of it is inacurate as well. I do my homework. I am a certified hardware/software technician and network administrator with over 15 years experience. I also own and operate a computer sales service and networking business.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... 940,00.asp

Rattler is wrong as well SF is not looked at as a Virus by Vista and LOCKON runs as well.

I am using Vista right now in dual boot with XP and actually installing games and testing across the lan on a variety of hardware configurations are you? If so what are your results?
Let me see if I can make this clear to you: The trouble right now with gaming under Vista is with Nvidia ATI/AMD Creative and beta drivers. Also you have it bass ackwards friend. How is it Vistas fault that the graphics card companies are not yet ready with full driver support? Also why do you characterize these unfinished driver features as "broken" instead of coming soon? It is exactly as it was when XP was released. And just in case you want some facts the Nvidia betas are getting better and better all the time. Of course one wouldn't know this unless they were testing Vista for gaming right now.
Why do you want to hold on to the views of what Vista was as a gaming platform when it was still RC1? This only shows that you have an inaccurate and unreasonable point of view IMHO.

"It's not unreasonable to expect graphics drivers to get to a point where the worst-case scenario is a performance loss between 5% and 10%, with the vast majority of games running no more than 5% slower and a few even running just as fast or faster. What we have witnessed here gives us great hope for that scenario, as we already see some games running just a touch faster in Vista in the right circumstances."

This is EXACTLY as it was with all previous OS releases as the new OS ALWAYS demands more from your hardware and again ALWAYS has some minor performance impact. If that is reason enough to stay away then you should still be running 98 because the exact same thing would have been true on XP's release in this regard. Content protection is going to be there with ANY windows OS including XP as well so that is no argument against either.

You may actually want to do your homework, viruses and exploits will be predominantly targeting the most used OS for some time to come (XP)and Vista is much more secure then XP. How long an OS has been out is not really a measure of how secure it is today or how secure it will be tomorrow. Vista has in fact had many security updates and as you know XP continues to as well. But let’s not let facts stand in the way right? There will ALWAYS be viruses and exploits targeting both Vista and XP. And for a long time to come they will be targeting XP much MORE then Vista.

Even now the potential for Vista as a gaming platform is evident. If you just want to hate it that is your choice but do not pretend you are using current factual information as you are not.

Out
Polecat
Corporal

Postby Rattler on Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:33 am

Polecat:

I don't care what you say. I have FC with Starforce so I will refer to the problem not as a Virus but so you can understand, there is an issue. don't tell me there isn't because there are too many of us who have it. Tell me there is no issue with Nero 7. There will be no "content Protection on my system, you can take that to the bank I run XP home sp2. I will run as I always have and I have no issues with my OS. I really don't care what your job is, there are too many people with issues with Vista. I am a gamer or should I say Combat Flight Simulation, there is a slight difference. Surely you would agree that not all systems are the same, therefore some will have issues with Vista that other people may not. Depends on how old there system is and scanner, printer, webcam, oh on the topic of webcam I have one 6 months old that will not work on Vista, been tried. So yes there are issues. For some they are show stoppers at the present time. Notice I said Present time. Lets wait and see if we have another ME on our hands. For the average person who may want to upgrade but has an older system and it doesn't have to be 4 years old or older, they will have a major expense to jump to Vista. They can jump to XP much more easily and less expensive. Surely you can agree to that. There are a lot of plan joes out there that don't try to keep up with new systems, hell as it stands now your out of date in 6 months or less. When these people leap they go from lets say window 98 to windows XP that is how long they are between upgrades. Surely for the average person you can agree on that also. Gamers, business, and people who just like to have the latest are the ones who will buy Vista and from what I have read and I have read a lot a vast majority of gamers and businesses are going to wait. It might sound like I am against Vista but that is not the case, it is what Vista has the potental to due that bothers me. There are programs within Vista that could be used and I repeat could be used by MS to get information that they are not intitled to get unless they ask. I am not saying they will use it but it is there and can be used if so desired. There are some very real concerns about Vista as a whole package. These issues should be addressed and hopefully proven very wrong. It has to do with DRM and Content Protection. The questions have been asked but I have yet to see an MS response that would put things to rest. Have fun with Vista, I will for the time being stay with XP. Notice I did not say that I would always be with XP, I am sure sometime I will use Vista with the eye candy resource hogs turned off. Cheers :idea:
Rattler
Rattler
Lance Air Corporal

Postby 3DFlyer on Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:55 am

:lol: You know Polecat, I heard that same talk with ME. it's funny you brought that up, becasue this is sounding word for word what I heard then...

Thank god I didn't buy that crap! I remember it like it was yesterday "Oh man, you gotta get this new ME OS it's the shitzel uber! It's not supported yet, but it will be I know it will. Well, "will be" and "is" is two different things, and the smart ones then were the ones who waited, and those that didn't got stuck with it. Where is ME now? Where's all that driver support?

I don't need Vista. Vista has nothing in it that makes me want to switch. What? Some pretty little 3D tiled windows? Phhhht, I'd turn that RAM hog off anyway. Should I look forward to the secuirty holes? I think not. Should I look forward to rendering my hardware obsolete? I don't think so. Should I look forward tro lack of driver support? Hardly.

Why on earth would I want to fix something that ain't broke. Heck I had a system that was in the Top 10 in the ORB for months. I know how to set one up, and I sure as heck ain't gonna go backwards and undo all that tweaking for nothing. It takes a hell of alot more that if's and maybes to make me change over my OS. Even after this OS is out a year it'll take another one before we can figure out how to tweak it, and get rid of all the system hogs.

When Vista has something to offer, it'll be worth consideration, but right now it doesn't offer anything but a cut in performance. That ain't blaming Vista, that's just the way it is. When the support comes out then we'll see about it, but until then it's nothing more than Vaporware. I'm sitting on XP until I see dang good reasons to switch.

To make a long story short, I'm not interested in what something "will do" or "may do in the future", I'm interested in what it does right now, and right now Vista aint cutting it. Can't get much simpler than that. :)
3DFlyer
Corporal

Postby 3DFlyer on Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:49 am

Just in case anybody had any doubts about outside entities taking care of the Vista DRM, you might wanna take a look at this ==> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37285

Other area of research follow...

1. Fixed Aspect Scaling Yeah or Nay?
2. Why DX9.0L is just a Temporary Fix To a Pemenent Problem...
*Hint: The OS was designed around DX 10
3. How Much Will a HDCP Monitor Set Me Back?
4. What Does the Term DRM Crippled Mean...me, my OS, or both. :shock:
5. Where Are All The Vista Tweak Sites?
6. 400 MB for Startup?!? OK, I'll buy a 2x2GB pair instead of the 2GB kit I planned.
7. How to remove Pladium Drivers and Why.
8. My TV Tuner Card No Longer Works!!! Please Help! :cry:
9. I use an HDTV for my Entertainment Center...I get Black Screens when using my HDTV Cable Box.
10. Arrrrrgh! SPAM! Where is all this SPAM coming from. I'm so careful keeping my info private. (Note: MS Got It...that's who)
11. Help! My Buisness is going down the tubes. I can't Send/Receive Faxes!
12. Nero No Longer Works? Please Tell me it's a joke!
13. Who Died and Left My OS In Charge?

I could go on but thought it fitting to end ona number that fits this OS at the present time. In time things will change, but as I stated mnay posts ago it will be at least a year before that happens, and I've been in this game long enough to know better than to jump on a brand new OS when it hits the street. It's unwise, it always has been, and always will be. After it's been around awhile, has proven to be stable, has full support, has those security holes closed up, and is accepted by the masses I will be included in those masses...just like I did with XP. It took XP a year and a half before I trusted it. If Vista is around that long I'm sure it too will be another best in a long run of bests for MS, but not today. [/url]
3DFlyer
Corporal

Next

Return to Voice Activated Command (VAC)