Lock On communications menus & submenus

A place for discussion about VAC, get answers and chat with the author. This is a good place for ideas and problem solving. So come on in and make your posts now.

Moderator: Shift_E

Lock On communications menus & submenus

Postby Amblin' on Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:13 am

Hi, great bit of software you've developed. I've already started experimenting with it for external views and game functions (pause, accelerate, etc.) in Lock On.

However, I've hit a little bit of a snag in trying to use it for the Communications Menu. In order to get AWACS to declare (for example), the normal key sequence would be backslash, F5, F4. The backslash calls up the Comms menu, the F5 indicates AWACS, and the F4 orders "declare." Similarly, ordering your flight to attack ground defenses would be backslash, F1, F1, and F5. Each keystroke brings up a new submenu.

Now, although I've programmed all these various radio commands in the VAC builder, when I speak them it seems that just the backslash gets registered: onscreen I see the main communications menu, but it just hangs there, as if waiting for another keystroke.

I went back to see if I had done anything wrong in the programming, but I don't think I did. In my AWACS declare function (to use that example again), I have the following setup in the VAC builder. The action description is "AWACS declare," and the activation phrase is the same. I tested that phrase and the voice recognition understood it. In the Command List I have commands 1 through 3 corresponding with backslash, F5, and F4, respectively. When I used the keyboard tester, sure enough I saw it light up \, F5, F3.

But again, in game the entire string doesn't seem to get read. I tried setting the pause between each command a bit longer, up to 700 ms, to see if that would help, but so far no luck.

Can you help me to figure out how to program these radio commands? It would be great to be able to say "Tower, request taxi" and such things into the microphone--a real element of immersion. Thanks.
Amblin'
Air Cadet Level 1

Re: Lock On communications menus & submenus

Postby Shift_E on Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:34 am

Amblin' wrote:Hi, great bit of software you've developed. I've already started experimenting with it for external views and game functions (pause, accelerate, etc.) in Lock On.

However, I've hit a little bit of a snag in trying to use it for the Communications Menu. In order to get AWACS to declare (for example), the normal key sequence would be backslash, F5, F4. The backslash calls up the Comms menu, the F5 indicates AWACS, and the F4 orders "declare." Similarly, ordering your flight to attack ground defenses would be backslash, F1, F1, and F5. Each keystroke brings up a new submenu.

Now, although I've programmed all these various radio commands in the VAC builder, when I speak them it seems that just the backslash gets registered: onscreen I see the main communications menu, but it just hangs there, as if waiting for another keystroke.

I went back to see if I had done anything wrong in the programming, but I don't think I did. In my AWACS declare function (to use that example again), I have the following setup in the VAC builder. The action description is "AWACS declare," and the activation phrase is the same. I tested that phrase and the voice recognition understood it. In the Command List I have commands 1 through 3 corresponding with backslash, F5, and F4, respectively. When I used the keyboard tester, sure enough I saw it light up \, F5, F3.

But again, in game the entire string doesn't seem to get read. I tried setting the pause between each command a bit longer, up to 700 ms, to see if that would help, but so far no luck.

Can you help me to figure out how to program these radio commands? It would be great to be able to say "Tower, request taxi" and such things into the microphone--a real element of immersion. Thanks.

Look in the Help under support to get my email address, then if you could email your LockOn Profile I'll have a look at it. Just one sounds like a fun challenge.
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
http://qmt.webhop.net
Voice Activated Command
http://www.dwvac.com
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Return to Voice Activated Command (VAC)