Problems with numbers

A place for discussion about VAC, get answers and chat with the author. This is a good place for ideas and problem solving. So come on in and make your posts now.

Moderator: Shift_E

Problems with numbers

Postby Mowgali on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:47 pm

Sorry, always problems, problems, problems, you would almost think I didn't like this program :wink:
I'm using it for Armed Assault and it's working very well, my commands are recognized and it's been really good. After sorting out my last problem I had it working for two weeks absolutely perfectly, went away on holiday and since then nothing but frustration with phantom commands. I did everything I cou-
In fact sod it, why bore you, you've heard it a hundred times. Word commands are recognized perfectly however any noise, a sniff, a sigh, the occasional complete silence will trigger a number command ( I use headphones). The keys are always recognized perfectly in the builder, but when testing with the keyboard tester an errant noise will trigger the occasional number, no other keys, just numbers. I don't understand why it can judge even subtle differences in words, but a sniff will trigger a number and not always the same one. I have solved it by saying " number five" instead of just "five" etc but it would be nice to know if I could resolve it and go back to just saying the number. :(
Mowgali
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Gumby on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:11 am

I have noticed the same thing.

I don't have an answer for you I'm sorry, but your solution makes for a very good tip.

Thanks for posting what you did to resolve it.

Gumby
Gumby
Lance Air Corporal

Postby Shift_E on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:46 pm

I see this often about using numbers in profiles, so here are some thoughts and hints I always use when creating or using a profile. I never get false positives when I adhere to the five items below.

Here are a few items that can cause false positives.
1. Microphone adjustment is too loud.
2. New microphone installed.
3. Pronunciation Sensitivity slider incorrectly set.
4. Accuracy vs. Recognition Response Time incorrectly set.
5. Many single word Activation Phrases in a profile.

If you do use a new microphone or change the USB port of the microphone you should always run the microphone wizard and possibility do a voice training session. Other programs can readjust the microphone volume setting; don’t expect the volume to remain the same between uses.

The most common factor for commands not recognized would be many single word phrases in a profile. Your accuracy is always increased with 2 or more words in the Activation Phrase. When using numbers in an Activation Phrase, always spell the number out, 2=two, 7=seven.

I hope this helps,
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
http://qmt.webhop.net
Voice Activated Command
http://www.dwvac.com
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby Mowgali on Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:16 pm

Thanks for getting back. I've tried all the solutions you've advised and adjusted, re-installed and re-trained everything I could think of. As you say two words make it work far better "number five" instead of just "five" and I can certainly live with it, however I tried several profiles from scratch, obviously similar but all slightly different,and each time the command menu would come up on screen unbidden and occasionally another sniff would issue a false command if i didn't spot it soon enough, not to mention having to say exit comm's every 20 seconds or so. It took some head scratching but once I realized the comms menu could appear if any number was flagged up, and not just if the comms menu was opened first, I soon solved the problem by seeing what happened using the keyboard tester and noticing that the number keys would occasionally light up :idea: As you say using "five" instead of "5" possibly made a difference but the curious thing was it never happened to any other keys just numbers the rest of the profile worked like a dream. As I've said I can live with my work around but it would be interesting to know if it is a bug or at least if anybody else is using the number keys and having problems then a solution can be offered.
Mowgali
Air Cadet Level 2

Return to Voice Activated Command (VAC)