VAC won't activate

A place for discussion about VAC, get answers and chat with the author. This is a good place for ideas and problem solving. So come on in and make your posts now.

Moderator: Shift_E

VAC won't activate

Postby lightning72 on Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:42 pm

Hi, I've been using "Shoot" off and on for some time but find it somewhat unreliable and so I thought that I would try VAC. I converted a fairly comprehensive Shoot profile to VAC but could get it to work, so I tried one of the profiles from your web site and it wouldn't activate either.

In both cases the commands are recognized in the VAC Builder "test" utility and the voice commands are also recogniized by the IL2/FB/PF microphone test (in the audio commands section of the setup). I've tried various combinations of turning VAC on and off by keystroke or leaving it as "none". If I run Shoot and go the FB, the voice commands are recognized, but if I shut Shoot down and turn VAC on, the commands are not recognized.

Any thoughts? You help would be appreciated.
lightning72
Air Cadet Level 2

Re: VAC won't activate

Postby Shift_E on Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:10 pm

lightning72 wrote:Hi, I've been using "Shoot" off and on for some time but find it somewhat unreliable and so I thought that I would try VAC. I converted a fairly comprehensive Shoot profile to VAC but could get it to work, so I tried one of the profiles from your web site and it wouldn't activate either.

In both cases the commands are recognized in the VAC Builder "test" utility and the voice commands are also recogniized by the IL2/FB/PF microphone test (in the audio commands section of the setup). I've tried various combinations of turning VAC on and off by keystroke or leaving it as "none". If I run Shoot and go the FB, the voice commands are recognized, but if I shut Shoot down and turn VAC on, the commands are not recognized.

Any thoughts? You help would be appreciated.

If have selected a push to activate/deactivate, set them to NONE. Also assign a sound file to the success sound (C:\Windows\Media the ding.wav is small) to some of the commands to test in VAC. Make sure you are sending the correct key command "G" and "g" are different codes sent.

If those checks don't allow VAC to work, email me your profile, my address is in the help file under support.

I hope this helps,
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
http://qmt.webhop.net
Voice Activated Command
http://www.dwvac.com
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby lightning72 on Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:43 pm

Shift_E wrote:
If have selected a push to activate/deactivate, set them to NONE. Also assign a sound file to the success sound (C:\Windows\Media the ding.wav is small) to some of the commands to test in VAC. Make sure you are sending the correct key command "G" and "g" are different codes sent.

If those checks don't allow VAC to work, email me your profile, my address is in the help file under support.

I hope this helps,

I've been playing about with this for a bit, so I have tried a number of different configurations, including the "NONE" entry for the push to activate/deactivate.

Using the sound/success approach you suggested and Dastardly's profile I find that VAC is not receiving the voice command (in this case I used "wingman cover me"). It tests okay (with the sound) in VAC builder, but does not work from within FB. If I switch to the Shoot program, exactly the same spoken command is recognized, and FB responds as expected with "Roger..." , so it would not appear to be a problem with FB.

I'm perplexed because I'm using Dastardly's profile for the test and have chaned nothing except to add the success sound.

I'm wondering whether it could have anything to do with how I'm identifying myself either in FB setup or VAC or even the speech training. I set up Shoot a long time ago and can't remember the exact username I set it up under. It might be different than what I've been using with VAC.
lightning72
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Shift_E on Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:05 pm

lightning72 wrote:
Shift_E wrote:

I hope this helps,

I've been playing about with this for a bit, so I have tried a number of different configurations, including the "NONE" entry for the push to activate/deactivate.

Using the sound/success approach you suggested and Dastardly's profile I find that VAC is not receiving the voice command (in this case I used "wingman cover me"). It tests okay (with the sound) in VAC builder, but does not work from within FB. If I switch to the Shoot program, exactly the same spoken command is recognized, and FB responds as expected with "Roger..." , so it would not appear to be a problem with FB.

I'm perplexed because I'm using Dastardly's profile for the test and have chaned nothing except to add the success sound.

I'm wondering whether it could have anything to do with how I'm identifying myself either in FB setup or VAC or even the speech training. I set up Shoot a long time ago and can't remember the exact username I set it up under. It might be different than what I've been using with VAC.

Are you starting VAC System, loading the profile then turning VAC On? Please don't take offense to the question, if you test the phrase in the Builder, then running VAC System with the same profile should work. Because IL2 is so CPU intensive the push to activate has a huge delay.

If you can run shoot, then VAC will work. There is a log file generated for each session when VAC System starts, have a look in it also.

You can test the profile in VAC System using the keyboard tester.
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
Voice Activated Command
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby lightning72 on Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:09 pm

Shift_E wrote:Are you starting VAC System, loading the profile then turning VAC On? Please don't take offense to the question, if you test the phrase in the Builder, then running VAC System with the same profile should work. Because IL2 is so CPU intensive the push to activate has a huge delay.

If you can run shoot, then VAC will work. There is a log file generated for each session when VAC System starts, have a look in it also.

No offense taken. I feel certain that is some small stupid thing that I've done and missed, since no one else is having aproblem.

Right clicking on the sys tray icon tells me that VAC is on and the "P" overlay on the icon shows that the profile is loaded. All the keys work fine according to keyboard tester. However, the log file simply says that the profile is loaded. It doesn't say anything about VAC switching on. Is it supposed to?
lightning72
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Shift_E on Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:27 pm

lightning72 wrote:
Shift_E wrote:Are you starting VAC System, loading the profile then turning VAC On? Please don't take offense to the question, if you test the phrase in the Builder, then running VAC System with the same profile should work. Because IL2 is so CPU intensive the push to activate has a huge delay.

No offense taken. I feel certain that is some small stupid thing that I've done and missed, since no one else is having aproblem.

Right clicking on the sys tray icon tells me that VAC is on and the "P" overlay on the icon shows that the profile is loaded. All the keys work fine according to keyboard tester. However, the log file simply says that the profile is loaded. It doesn't say anything about VAC switching on. Is it supposed to?

I'm not sure if the log file is suppose list VAC on or not, how's that for a memory.:-) I know the next update it will. The system tray icon will show a "P" for profile and "O" for the VAC being on. The "O" would be the voice recognition being activated.
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
Voice Activated Command
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby Doorknob_52 on Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:53 pm

Hello guys!!

That is your problem you have the profile loaded but VAC isn't turned on.
I was going through the same thing you are Lightning, and I finally realized that although in the builder it would reconize my commands it wouldn't in sim.
Make certain like Shift E says you icon in the bottom right should have a "P" (profile loaded) on the left of the microphone, and a "O" on the right hand side of the microphone.

Remember it may take a few seconds to fire up, on my computer it has taken as long as 30 seconds before it showed VAC On. once you have both the "P" and "o" in you tray your ready to start talking!!
Make sure you visit us at: http://www.Flying-Legends.net
Doorknob_52
Lance Air Corporal

Postby lightning72 on Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:36 pm

Doorknob_52 wrote:Hello guys!!

That is your problem you have the profile loaded but VAC isn't turned on.
I was going through the same thing you are Lightning, and I finally realized that although in the builder it would reconize my commands it wouldn't in sim.
Make certain like Shift E says you icon in the bottom right should have a "P" (profile loaded) on the left of the microphone, and a "O" on the right hand side of the microphone.

Remember it may take a few seconds to fire up, on my computer it has taken as long as 30 seconds before it showed VAC On. once you have both the "P" and "o" in you tray your ready to start talking!!

Thanx for your help Doorknob, you caught the problem. I mistakenly thought that when it said VAC ON it meant "VAC is on" rather than "press to turn VAC on". Everything works now.

Thanks also to Shift_E for the original program, the recent mod that shows an icon change when the program is on and the time and effort put into his speedy repiles to my messages.
lightning72
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Doorknob_52 on Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:09 pm

No problem Lightning! I'm ashamed to tell you how long I beat myself trying to figure out what the problem was, LOL!!
I found the answer in the instructions little photo of what it looks like and all, I guess that is why guys get a bad rap, "Instructions? Who needs instructions?" LOL
Make sure you visit us at: http://www.Flying-Legends.net
Doorknob_52
Lance Air Corporal

Postby lightning72 on Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:18 pm

Doorknob_52 wrote:No problem Lightning! I'm ashamed to tell you how long I beat myself trying to figure out what the problem was, LOL!!
I found the answer in the instructions little photo of what it looks like and all, I guess that is why guys get a bad rap, "Instructions? Who needs instructions?" LOL

Yeah, I guess there is a difference between "browsing/skimming" and "reading". I let habit mislead me. The other game I play most often is War in the Pacific and in that one when something reads "on" and you click on it, it turns the option off.
lightning72
Air Cadet Level 2

Return to Voice Activated Command (VAC)