New Keys

A place for discussion about VAC, get answers and chat with the author. This is a good place for ideas and problem solving. So come on in and make your posts now.

Moderator: Shift_E

New Keys

Postby Trilogy on Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:00 am

Would it be possible to add the function keys F13 thru F24 to the available keys?
They are recognized by Windows as USB codes.

USB (D68 U68) = F13
USB (D69 U69) = F14
USB (D6A U6A) = F15
USB (D6B U6B) = F16

USB (D6C U6C) = F17
USB (D6D U6D) = F18
USB (D6E U6E) = F19
USB (D6F U6F) = F20

USB (D70 U70) = F21
USB (D71 U71) = F22
USB (D72 U72) = F23
USB (D73 U73) = F24

With all of the key commands in a modern sim, having these extra dozen would be handy.
Trilogy
Air Cadet Level 2

Re: New Keys

Postby Shift_E on Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:21 pm

Trilogy wrote:Would it be possible to add the function keys F13 thru F24 to the available keys?
They are recognized by Windows as USB codes.

USB (D68 U68) = F13
USB (D69 U69) = F14
USB (D6A U6A) = F15
USB (D6B U6B) = F16

USB (D6C U6C) = F17
USB (D6D U6D) = F18
USB (D6E U6E) = F19
USB (D6F U6F) = F20

USB (D70 U70) = F21
USB (D71 U71) = F22
USB (D72 U72) = F23
USB (D73 U73) = F24

With all of the key commands in a modern sim, having these extra dozen would be handy.

Hi,

Yes, I can add those codes. I have a fix to do for the PTA key so I'll get them added in the update.

Thanks,
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
http://qmt.webhop.net
Voice Activated Command
http://www.dwvac.com
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Re: New Keys

Postby Trilogy on Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:04 pm

Shift_E wrote:USB (D68 U68) = F13
USB (D69 U69) = F14
USB (D6A U6A) = F15
USB (D6B U6B) = F16

USB (D6C U6C) = F17
USB (D6D U6D) = F18
USB (D6E U6E) = F19
USB (D6F U6F) = F20

USB (D70 U70) = F21
USB (D71 U71) = F22
USB (D72 U72) = F23
USB (D73 U73) = F24

Hi,

Yes, I can add those codes. I have a fix to do for the PTA key so I'll get them added in the update.

Thanks,

Would they be added as just Extended Keys, or could they be added as
Extended Keys
Character Keys
AND be available in the PROFILE ACTIVATION KEYS section for:
Push to Activate
Push to DeActivate
Select Key set for On/Off

I'm new to this, but it seems that it would be handy to have those keypresses available to all the above. Just to make keypress choices easier?

I just downloaded this last nite, played around with it a bit, and I DO like it! Great piece of work Shift-E! We THANK you!
Trilogy
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Shift_E on Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:59 pm

I'll add them to the Extended set, PTA, PTD and the on/off switch. The character keys are for alpha/numeric keys or strings. I may add some other that you would find on media keyboards also, as I've been thinking about it for a while, but we'll see. You can even use the keys if they don't exist on your kayboard by setting them in the VAC profile and using VAC to make the key assignments inside the game. :D

Thanks for your kind words, hope you are having fun with it,
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
Voice Activated Command
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby Trilogy on Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:46 am

Shift_E wrote:I'll add them to the Extended set, PTA, PTD and the on/off switch. The character keys are for alpha/numeric keys or strings. I may add some other that you would find on media keyboards also, as I've been thinking about it for a while, but we'll see. You can even use the keys if they don't exist on your kayboard by setting them in the VAC profile and using VAC to make the key assignments inside the game. :D

Thanks for your kind words, hope you are having fun with it,

I think that would be perfect! Really no sense in having them as Character Keys as well.
I know this will work with my Cougar (as I've already added the extra function keys to the keyboard.ini) so long as I use the usb codes for it in my profile.
But I've never owned a Saitek or CH stick. It would work there as well, wouldn't it?
Trilogy
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Shift_E on Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:24 pm

Trilogy wrote:I think that would be perfect! Really no sense in having them as Character Keys as well.
I know this will work with my Cougar (as I've already added the extra function keys to the keyboard.ini) so long as I use the usb codes for it in my profile.
But I've never owned a Saitek or CH stick. It would work there as well, wouldn't it?

As long as the profile editors are aware of the extra key, then yes any program will be able to use them. I tested the multimedia keys using VAC even though the keys don't exist on my keyboard and they all worked. I could control the internet browser, windows media player and my volume control. If the game is aware and can assign these keys then they will work even though the keys may not exist on your keyboard.
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
Voice Activated Command
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby Trilogy on Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:47 am

Shift_E wrote:
Trilogy wrote:I think that would be perfect! Really no sense in having them as Character Keys as well.

As long as the profile editors are aware of the extra key, then yes any program will be able to use them. I tested the multimedia keys using VAC even though the keys don't exist on my keyboard and they all worked. I could control the internet browser, windows media player and my volume control. If the game is aware and can assign these keys then they will work even though the keys may not exist on your keyboard.

I'll have to do some searching in the config.ini's of a few of my sims to see what type of "wording" they use to define the available keys.
But frankly, I don't see myself using them for anything that the game itself would need.
I usually remap the keys entirely anyway. Since it all ends up on either my Cougar or my XKeys, it doesn't matter if it makes "sense" as a keypress. In other words, if the default for flaps up is f, and flaps down is F that's fine and I would want it that way if I were using the keyboard. But since I don't, the first thing I do is clear out the games mapping entirely. Things like the views and snap views (Usually assigned to the HAT 1 by default) aren't needed - my TrackIR takes care of those, so that frees up keys to be used.
Then I decide which functions I'd be using within the sim and assign the functions to keys in a linear manner... IE: Gear is a, Flaps are b, brakes are c, weapons select is d ,,,, and so on - with no regard for anything making "sense". Thus, no matter what sim I'm programming for, "a" is always the gear, "b" is always the brakes, and so on. By the time I get the "common elements" programmed and assigned, I have an exact count of how many NON chorded keypresses I have left for those functions that may exist in one sim, but not another. Programming a button for a FLIR, for example. Some sims use one, some don't.
This makes it far easier for me to figure out what keys are still available for the functions I need to assign, and usually allows me to manage the whole sim without being forced to "chorded" keypresses. I like it simple :D
The f13 - f24 keys would be used by me for things like, Ventrilo, Track IR centering, VAC on/off - - - you get the idea. That would make it possible to keep the exact same keypresses for every sim, regarding those devices.
I can't wait to give it a go!
When my PayPal gets sorted, I'll be buying.
VERY nice product Shift_E!!!
Trilogy
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Shift_E on Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:08 am

I see what you are doing. I hope the new keys will come in handy, I had been wanting to add the extra keys for some time. I guess this was a good reason. :)

Enjoy and welcome aboard,
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
Voice Activated Command
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby Trilogy on Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:53 pm

Shift_E wrote:I see what you are doing. I hope the new keys will come in handy, I had been wanting to add the extra keys for some time. I guess this was a good reason. :)

Enjoy and welcome aboard,

Well shame on ya! Making this great addition to the VAC, and not telling anyone about it!

Downloaded the update, and paid now.

Thanks for the additions!
Trilogy
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Trilogy on Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:07 am

Well, it works like a charm!
I've enabled F13 to center my TrackIR, and that frees up F12 for something else. It also allows me to trap the key with no concerns about whether or not it will affect any other program.
I had to dig into the TrackIR profiles. The settings are saved in an .xml file that can't be edited, and since there is no F13 PHYSICAL key, there seemed to be no way to change it to F13.
So, I opened the .xml file with WORDPAD, made the change there, then saved it. That part worked, now to see what TIR thought of it.

F12 (the key I used to use) is 123, but showed as F12.
F13 shows as 124 (not F13)
That concerned me, but caramba!!!! it worked!
Trilogy
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Shift_E on Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:18 pm

That great to hear, that does frees up a few keys. :) I don't know how TrackIR works as far as assigning keys, but couldn't you create an action in VAC with F13 as the command, then use VAC to issue the F13 key in TrackIR instead of using the keyboard? Just a thought, I guess editing the XML will work just as well.

I won't worry about see the key codes like 123, etc. They are the key values that Windows uses. If you look at VAC's keyboard tester, it displays the key values for what ever key is pressed.

Enjoy,
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
Voice Activated Command
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby Shift_E on Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Trilogy wrote:Well shame on ya! Making this great addition to the VAC, and not telling anyone about it!

Downloaded the update, and paid now.

Thanks for the additions!

I couldn't market my way out of a wet paper sack. :) The good news is I don't advertise, so you get to save the dollars.
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
Voice Activated Command
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby Trilogy on Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:36 pm

Shift_E wrote:, but couldn't you create an action in VAC with F13 as the command, then use VAC to issue the F13 key in TrackIR instead of using the keyboard? Just a thought, I guess editing the XML will work just as well.

Enjoy,

Well, I didn't do that because,,,,,, umm, I didn't think of it! :oops:

But now that you've taught me, I'm going to do some experimenting!
Trilogy
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Trilogy on Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:17 pm

Shift_E wrote:That great to hear, that does frees up a few keys. :) I don't know how TrackIR works as far as assigning keys, but couldn't you create an action in VAC with F13 as the command, then use VAC to issue the F13 key in TrackIR instead of using the keyboard? Just a thought, I guess editing the XML will work just as well.

I won't worry about see the key codes like 123, etc. They are the key values that Windows uses. If you look at VAC's keyboard tester, it displays the key values for what ever key is pressed.

Enjoy,

Ok, first part of this is operator error. :oops:
The TRACK IR centering command was one I changed to F13. It didn't show in my Cougar/Foxy software keytest because it was set in the HOTKEYS section of the TIR to TRAP the key. Since there is no fear of me using that key for anything else, I UNchecked the TRAP box, and it now shows up as it should.

Second part:
I tried using VAC and a programmed Voice command to change the settings in TrackIR, AND in Ventrilo, and it worked like a charm!
I also tried using my Cougar, having programmed the F13 and F14 keys into it, and it also worked that way to change the settings.
So far though, no luck in adding F13 - F24 commands directly into Pacific Fighters. It simply won't recognize them, whether I attempt to enter it with VAC or my Cougar. That's ok though, the goal of this was to use the extra keys to FREE UP those that the game WOULD understand. Thanks again for the lesson! :D

Third part:
When I attempt to use YOUR keyboard tester, I get the following error.

Run-time error '430':
Class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface.

I've read the posts regarding this, and I assume that QMT is Lomac's Quick Mission Tuner, is that correct? If so, I am certain that I don't have QMT on my system1, so I'm not sure why I would be getting this error.
What information do you need about my hardware/system?
Trilogy
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Shift_E on Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:53 pm

That's pretty cool to use keys that doesn't exist on your keyboard. :D I'll send you a keyboard tester, the install may not have updated the KB Tester. The error you are getting is because of the wrong version of KB Tester.

QMT is for the IL2 family, it allows you to make quick changes to existing missions in IL2.
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
Voice Activated Command
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Next

Return to Voice Activated Command (VAC)