New Keys

A place for discussion about VAC, get answers and chat with the author. This is a good place for ideas and problem solving. So come on in and make your posts now.

Moderator: Shift_E

Postby Trilogy on Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:38 am

Shift_E wrote:That's pretty cool to use keys that doesn't exist on your keyboard. :D I'll send you a keyboard tester, the install may not have updated the KB Tester. The error you are getting is because of the wrong version of KB Tester.

QMT is for the IL2 family, it allows you to make quick changes to existing missions in IL2.

Cool indeed!

The KB Tester you sent was the fix! Thank you again!
Trilogy
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Trilogy on Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:52 am

Shift_E wrote:That's pretty cool to use keys that doesn't exist on your keyboard. :D I'll send you a keyboard tester, the install may not have updated the KB Tester. The error you are getting is because of the wrong version of KB Tester.

QMT is for the IL2 family, it allows you to make quick changes to existing missions in IL2.

Ok, previous post says "KB Tester you sent me works fine"
Well, it starts up without the error now....but, well it just sort of sits there.
I was assuming that it would respond to my commands, showing me the keypresses that the Voice Command was programmed to press when I spoke the command. IE: "navigation lights" =n (and the KB tester would illuminate the n key).
But unless I press the keys on MY keyboard, nothing happens.
Sorry to ask, but what am I supposed to do with the KB Tester? What am I doing wrong?
Trilogy
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Shift_E on Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:44 am

On the top left you'll see a dark green rectangle and next to that you’ll see the words “keyboard inactive”, left click over the dark green area with the mouse and it should turn bright green. While the KB Tester is active, it will intercept all the keyboard input, so no other program will receive inputs from the keyboard. Just click the bright green area to turn it off.

Don’t worry about asking questions here, I know my documentation is a bit weak. Besides that’s what the forum is for. :)
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
http://qmt.webhop.net
Voice Activated Command
http://www.dwvac.com
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby Trilogy on Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:00 am

Shift_E wrote:On the top left you'll see a dark green rectangle and next to that you’ll see the words “keyboard inactive”, left click over the dark green area with the mouse and it should turn bright green. While the KB Tester is active, it will intercept all the keyboard input, so no other program will receive inputs from the keyboard. Just click the bright green area to turn it off.

Don’t worry about asking questions here, I know my documentation is a bit weak. Besides that’s what the forum is for. :)

Ok, I did that before (clicking the button so it was in the KEYBOARD ACTIVE state).
You say "it willintercept all the keyboard input, so no other program will receive inputs..." by this, do you mean it is acting as a "kill switch" for my physical keyboard, and any other device that would generate keystrokes, allowing them to pass ONLY to the VAC program?
If so, cool.
I notice that when in the INACTIVE state any keypresses I make are seen by an application (tried it as I was typing this) and it is not locked into the "on top" position.
But when it is in the ACTIVE state, it IS locked "on top" position, and my keypresses show up ONLY on the KB Tester, in VAC and nowhere else (like here). I'm assuming this is correct?
So, it doesn't show my keypresses as I speak a command, and that's what the "send to notepad" part is for?
I think I have it right.
Ah! And now I see that if I have it in the ACTIVE position, when I push buttons on my Cougar I see what keys are pressed. So THAT is the "troubleshooting" method!
OY! :!: NICE! :D
Trilogy
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Shift_E on Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:38 am

You are correct, however VAC will send keys to the KB Tester when the KB Tester is active. As a test set an action command in VAC with a high duration, around 500 milliseconds, then try that action into the KB Tester. You should see the key light up. Most the time the keys are sent so fast by VAC you may not see the keys light, you'll have to look on the KB Tester under Key Code, Duration and Pause. If you play with it a bit you'll see what I'm talking about.

And since the KB Tester will intercept all the key input, you can not use it to test the PTA and PTD keys in VAC. The KB Tester will intercept the PTA and PTD keys and VAC will never see them, so they won't work while the KB Tester is active.
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
http://qmt.webhop.net
Voice Activated Command
http://www.dwvac.com
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby Trilogy on Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:31 am

Shift_E wrote:You are correct, however VAC will send keys to the KB Tester when the KB Tester is active. As a test set an action command in VAC with a high duration, around 500 milliseconds, then try that action into the KB Tester. You should see the key light up. Most the time the keys are sent so fast by VAC you may not see the keys light, you'll have to look on the KB Tester under Key Code, Duration and Pause. If you play with it a bit you'll see what I'm talking about.

And since the KB Tester will intercept all the key input, you can not use it to test the PTA and PTD keys in VAC. The KB Tester will intercept the PTA and PTD keys and VAC will never see them, so they won't work while the KB Tester is active.

I had the PTA still activated. I should have figured that one out.
It's really a wonderful tool to have, and even at 50 ms duration, I can see the flash, and the sequences.

I need to do some more voice training, and I've ordered a wireless lavalier microphone for my computer as well. It should help with the room and fan noice/voice recognition.
It's been a while since I've had this much fun just playing with an app! I've assigned some keyboard hotkeys to some programs as well, just to play with that a bit. It's "TREK" to talk to my computer now, and watch WinAmp come up. :D
Trilogy
Air Cadet Level 2

Previous

Return to Voice Activated Command (VAC)