A few Questions Shift-E

A place for discussion about VAC, get answers and chat with the author. This is a good place for ideas and problem solving. So come on in and make your posts now.

Moderator: Shift_E

A few Questions Shift-E

Postby Coffee999 on Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:55 pm

I want to do some training on my laptop in the comforts of my bed, then transfer it into my desktop. So the question is can I train my voice in Speech 5.1 under my profile and trasfer it into 5.1 in my laptop? I don't know where to find my custom profile file.

Can you also do that in VAC when you train an individual phrase? Another words, does the profile file hold this info so I can transfer it from one computer to another. I know you can transfer the profile in VAC. I've done that. Just don't know if training a phrase is part of 5.1 or VAC.

Thanks for the help.
Coffee
Coffee999
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Shift_E on Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:30 pm

Hi Coffee,

I have been asked this before and I couldn’t find my last response and the references I used.:) The simple answer is no, there is no easy way of adding your own phrase training sessions. In fact there is no benefit to use a specialized training set. The reason is SAPI 5.1 does not “learn” words or phrases, it learns speech patterns and how you pronounce words so any words or patterns which cover the English language will work the best. That being said, I have developed two methods for VAC that ensures SAPI only uses the phrases in the profile.

This should allow you to transfer speech profiles between your computers Microsoft's Speech Profile Manager. :wink:
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
http://qmt.webhop.net
Voice Activated Command
http://www.dwvac.com
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby Coffee999 on Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:35 pm

Thank you for that link. That was exactly what I was looking for.

I'm also sorry, I confused the "test phrase" with "train phrase". For some reason I thought there was a option to train the indivisual phrases.

One more question while I'm here. In the Tools, what does the program setup do?

Thanks, and again, what a great piece of software this is. Is there going to be a time when we see this on the Best Buy shelves? :-)

Coffee
Coffee999
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Coffee999 on Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:41 pm

One more question. hehe

Can you train your voice to a point where no more training will help? I have went through about 3 or 4 training sessions now, and everything is working great. In fact it was working fine after the first one, so that is the reason for my question. Does your profile lose some of it's effectivness over time to where you have to re-train it? Would training your voice 100 times make things work better than just training it 50 times? :-)

Thanks
Coffee
Coffee999
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Shift_E on Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:18 pm

Hi Coffee,

Will you ever see VAC on the BestBuy shelves? No, it would cost the customer too much. By selling VAC as shareware, the customer saves. Plus I’d have to make the builder pretty with graphics. :)

Program setup will allow you to setup programs on your computer to run from VAC. Say you want to run IL2 by saying “Run Game”, you’d go into program setup, locate the IL2 exe and give it a name. Then create an action “Run Game” and choose the IL2 name from the Special Functions area in the Launch Program dropdown. Now you can start IL2 by saying “Run Game”. If you want more power to control Windows get AutoHotkey, VAC will launch AutoHotkey scripts also.

On the voice training I would say run through the training one or two times. That should be enough for SAPI to learn your speech patterns. Can you train the speech engine to much? I don’t think so, but if you are getting high accuracy then I’d say you’ve done your job in training and any more is overkill. :)

The reason the “Test Phrase” is in the builder was to test all the phrases assigned to an action. Since you can assign multiple phrases to an action there needed to be a quick way to test them out.

Enjoy,
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
http://qmt.webhop.net
Voice Activated Command
http://www.dwvac.com
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Return to Voice Activated Command (VAC)