Qualifier & extended Keys

A place for discussion about VAC, get answers and chat with the author. This is a good place for ideas and problem solving. So come on in and make your posts now.

Moderator: Shift_E

Qualifier & extended Keys

Postby Sky Dancer on Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:18 am

Firstly, let me say how impressed I am in general with this "little" program. Little in size, MASSIVE in capability. the work that must have gone into programming this beauty must be enormouse. So Thanks Shift-E for making it available.

Secondly, let me appologise for the length of this post, but I feel if someone asks for help/reports a bug, the least they can do is provide as much info as possible.

I on the other hand, am probably NOT so capabable as this program :oops: and here is my problem.

I have (by the use of USB Codes and my Cougar HOTAS) set F13 as my PTA which works perfectly.

I have written a profile for Falcon4-AF with over 300 commands and Most of them work perfectly.

I want to use CTRL, ALT, F12 as a key command (in Falcon this toggles the lights between steady and flash. There are other similar commands (CTRL ALT F10 to turn Anti-Collision lights on is just another example). I have tried the following methods to get them to work, but fail every time :(

method 1:
Command 1
Qualifier Key CTRL; Extended Key NONE; Character Key (left Blank
Command 2
Qualifier Key ALT; Extended Key F12

method 2:
Command 1
Qualifier Key CTRL; Extended Key NONE; Character Key (left Blank)
Command 2
Qualifier Key ALT; Extended Key NONE; Character Key (left Blank)
Command 3
Qualifier Key NONE; Extended Key F12; Character Key (left Blank)

Method 3 & 4:
As Method 1 & 2 but with the position of the ALT & CTRL Keys reversed

I have tried with and without the PTA key assigned.
I have tried with Middle Mouse button as PTA
I have varied the duration and pause times

To check if my voice is being recognised I have used the "test Phrase" application and this shows a hit every time.

I then assigned a "success Sound" so that when "in game" I can hear if the command has been received and again, success every time.

However, the key strokes are NOT being transmitted to the sim.

I have tested the function by pressing the 3 keys on the keyboard and they DO work in the sim. I can also assign them to a button on my Cougar and again, they work perfectly. It is only when I try and get the commands issued through V A C that they fail every time.

Am I doing something wrong with the way I am trying to use the Command List/qualifier/Extended keys? if so, could someone pease enlighten this poor defenceless old fool :(

or have I stumbled into a known issue (or new issue)?

My System Spec:
Water Cooled Asus P4C800-e Delux Mobo. Pentium 3.1 Ghz Processor, 2Gb Ram, 4 SATA hard drives configured in two striped RAID, ATI 9800XT Graphics card (256mb ram), Sound Blaster Audigy ZS sound card, Plextor PX-708A DVD-RW and Sony DVD-RW

This is the first encounter I have had with VAC. I have only been trying to use it for the last two days and I am very nearly going to pay for it but only if I can get it to work they way I need/want it to. the rest of this program is absolutely awesome so hats off to you Shift-E and thanks in advance for any help/resolution received. :D
Sky Dancer
Corporal

Postby Shift_E on Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:05 pm

Hi Sky Dancer,

First thank you for all the information you posted, it really makes analyzing the issue so much easier, well done. Also kudos to you for assigning the success sound to you command as a diagnosis tool, again well done. :smt023

I’m currently working on the builder to allow you to easily assign the keys you want to the command. There is a way to achieve the results you are looking for, but it’s not as clean as it could be.

The reason what you tried didn’t work is each command is like it’s own keystroke, so if you have a key set as command one, VAC will press and release the assigned key, then moves to the next command in the action processing the action commands in sequence.

Try this:

Command 1: ALT and set the command attributes to toggle.

Command 2: Ctrl + F12

Command 3: ALT and make sure toggle is not set. (This is important to release the “toggle” effect)

Like I said, this isn’t the cleanest method, but it should work as I use it in FS9 all the time. It’s taking longer than I thought it would to add this change as I want the change to work with all existing profiles.

Stay tuned :D,
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
http://qmt.webhop.net
Voice Activated Command
http://www.dwvac.com
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby Sky Dancer on Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:03 am

Thank you shift_E for all your kind remarks and also for your very prompt and positive reply to my question.

Your V A C is without doubt the best program I have encountered for Voice commands in a game. I new there would be a way to achieve my goal, I just couldn't get there on my own. I hadn't given a thought to using the toggle switch. I had sort of tried to achieve that by using a longer duration on the first command key, hoping it would press the next command key while the first was being being processed but this wasn't happening.

you are doing a GREAT JOB on this builder. you say it's not as clean as it should be. Well, I bow to your knowledge on that as I wouldn't have a clue where to start, even programming my Cougar takes me days :D

Your instructions were clear and precise and work every time. There are some switches (Elec Switch to main) that need to move two clicks and this I have achieved by modifying your instructions above so that for instance:

Command 1 = CTRL (toggle)
Command 2 = ALT (toggle)
Command 3 = F2 (repeat 2)
Command 4 = CTRL (NO toggle)
Command 5 = ALT (NO toggle)

Would move the Elec Switch through two positions (Battery through to Main)

I am 100% satisfied and your program will make operating the F16 in Falcon much easier Thank you and prepare for some in-coming $ :D
Sky Dancer
Corporal

Postby Shift_E on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:41 am

Hi Sky Dancer,

You are right on target with how you set up the commands in the action. I couldn't have said it any better. :smt023

And thank you for your support!
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
http://qmt.webhop.net
Voice Activated Command
http://www.dwvac.com
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby Sky Dancer on Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:11 pm

My support is just a drop in the ocean I should think mate, but your efforts deserve the support of the community. You have done a damn fine job with this program. It installs/uninstalls without issues, it is clean and transparent when "in game" and fairly easy to get programmed the way the user wants. Sure there are a couple of things that could be made easier (says he who can't even operate a video recorder :? ) but for you to have done all this must have taken a lot of your time and then to make it available to us for such a small sum of money, I am speechless (not much good when you're using a Voice recognition program :D ) I would not feel comfortable using the program without paying you, it worked out to less than 6 English Pounds and it's worth much more than that. There are commercial versions out there that cost a whole lot more and can't deliver any better than you have.

Cheers Shift_E and I hope you get the support (donations) you so richly deserve.

Best Wishes
Bob "Sky Dancer" Skidmore
Sky Dancer
Corporal

Return to Voice Activated Command (VAC)