Help in F4AF

A place for discussion about VAC, get answers and chat with the author. This is a good place for ideas and problem solving. So come on in and make your posts now.

Moderator: Shift_E

Help in F4AF

Postby Sammie22 on Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:16 am

Been searching through the forums a bit but nothing really solves my problem. Anyway, I am having some issues where VAC will start issuing commands randomly. It seems to be tied to the throttle axis (using dx), but may not be (just an observation). Any ideas why it would be spitting out commands randomly? It is quiet in the room, so I doubt it's background noise.

I am using a Cougar HOTAS with Justang's profile, and the VAC F4AF profile found on the VAC website.

Also, when I tried to map mic enable/disable to the HOTAS, it did not work. I tried keyboard and R/L Mouse buttons. Keyboard is preferred since the mouse is used for the clickable pit, and that could cause some problems in flight. Anyone using a setup similar to mine have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help,
Sammie
Sammie22
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Sky Dancer on Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:19 am

Hi Sammie,
I too use Jagstangs profile for my Cougar.
As the V.A.C commands allow you to issue all the AWACS,Flight, Tower etc calls by voice, we don't actually need them to be issued by using the T2/T3/T4/T5 keys on our throttle.
With this in mind I have changed the T3 Key to the following in the JOYSTICK FILE:

BTN T3 /P Transmit-V-A-C /R Rrelease-V-A-C

and in my MACRO FILE I have the following:

Transmit-V-A-C = USB (D68)
Rrelease-V-A-C = DLY (500) USB (U68)

This makes use of one of the extra F keys (F13 to 20) that do not appear on your keyboard, but are non the less useable. This code makes pressing down (T3) of the four way button to the left of the range key issue Key Down F13 and when you release it, the channel stays open for 1/2 second, (just to ensure you don't cut short your words) then releases F13.

Then in my VOICE PROFILE I have entered F13 in the RIGHT HAND Box under "push to activate Voice Commands"

That works perfectly for me and so long as I press and hold T3, I can issue voice commands.

I have written a V.A.C profile for Falcon 4 Allied Force which contains over 300 commands and also has the F13 key programmed as "PTA" I have sent this to Shift_E in order that he can put it up on his web site. You might find that useful.

With regard to the spurious commands, I would almost lay a months wage on the fact that you mike is picking bits and pieces of noise from around the place and as VAC doesn't understand them, it does its level best to guess what was said and issues a command it thinks is suitable. Without a "PTA" key assigned, I have seen this effect here. Odd things appearing in word documents, (yes, sometimes it even "hears" my key presses and thinks they are commands) Programs or menus appearing on screen etc. You will probably find that this is resolved once you assign a working PTA key.

Good Luck

Sky Dancer
Sky Dancer
Corporal

Postby Sammie22 on Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:38 am

You da man Sky! Thanks for the help.. I will try this out this weekend.

Sammie
Sammie22
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Sammie22 on Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:09 am

That works great Sky. Again, thanks for the help. Very cool app for F4, and any flight sim I would think. I'll be looking for your profile. I really only wanted to use it for comms. Sounds like yours does much more than that? Any details?
Sammie22
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Sky Dancer on Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:55 am

Hi Sammie, glad to be of service mate, enjoy.

I have written a profile that enables just about anything to be done via the Voice commands. I can go through the whole Ramp start procedure pretty much just by reading off my Checklist. In the air, saying Bore sight will bore sight my missile (provided I am in the correct mode) saying eject eject eject will...well, you guessed it..eject me. say Gear Up and well, guess what, the gear goes up...gear down and it puts the wheels out, say Nose wheel to activate the nose wheel steering, say Music On or Off activates/deactivates the jammer etc. there are over 300 commands, so I guess listing them all would not be very appropriate but you get the idea. :D

Even though all the commands are there, you don't have to use them, just cherry pick the ones you want, the rest will just stay there until you want them. It would be easy to alter (edit) the phrases to suit yourself too.

I have found a few glitches in the file I sent to Shift_E. I have corrected those, but every time I try and e-mail the new files to him, my e-mails are bounced :( As soon as I can, I'll get them to him. On the other hand, if you PM me an e-mail address, I will send them directly to you.

Best Wishes
Bob "sky Dancer" Skidmore
Sky Dancer
Corporal

Return to Voice Activated Command (VAC)