F4AF Issues: VAC Works Fine, But not Inside Sim

A place for discussion about VAC, get answers and chat with the author. This is a good place for ideas and problem solving. So come on in and make your posts now.

Moderator: Shift_E

F4AF Issues: VAC Works Fine, But not Inside Sim

Postby 3DFlyer on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:30 pm

Hello, I am new to VAC and downloaded lastnight. I installed the program, played with it a little, and then downloaded the the first profile on the "profiles" page at the VAC website.

I am having some trouble though.

It seems I have done everything I can to get it to work, but maybe something still isn't quite right.

Here is what I have done...

1. Trained the profile in control manager (two training sesssions)
2. Went through the mic wizzard
3. Loaded the program
4. Loaded the profile
5. Turned on Vac
6. Checked every command (it is recognizing and "donking" every command)
7. Loaded F4AF
8. Tried commands, and no go
9. Close out F4AF and no go, but if I restart the program it works fine.

It seems there is an issue with it not getting along with F4AF for some reason. I am aware that others are having great success with it, so I know that it works great. It's just that it is not on my machine for some reason.

Any ideas on this?

BTW, My system specs are below in case that could have an impact...

Abit IC7-G, P43.2E @ 3.71Ghz, Corsair XMS PC3200 1GB Kit, Chaintech 6800GT Flashed, lapped, 1.4v perf. 3D @ 425/1130, Sound Bastard Live (the original version), 2xWD1600JD's in RAID 0 ICH5R, OCZ520ADJ PSU.

I'm running a full CH HOTAS FS, PT, PP. TrackIR4 Pro. Plantronics GameCom 1 Pro Headset USB DSP
3DFlyer
Corporal

Postby 3DFlyer on Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:51 am

Thought I better add some more to this issue. I found out just by calling out random commands that VAC is not giving the proper commands. It understands the commands and the keystrokes are right outside of F4AF, but one you enter F4AF and call out Tower Request Taxi it does nothing. If you call out Tower Traffic In Sight the tower will issue taxi claerance. It does understand the "Gear Up" command. Because that worked, but when i say "Tower Inbound" it goes to SA View which it the "1" command.

What I think may be happening is it is not linking the T and the 1 together for that command. This could be causing other issues with combination keys.
3DFlyer
Corporal

Postby Shift_E on Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:11 am

I don't have the game, but it sounds like your keyboard assignments are different than the profile you are using. Did you change any of your keyboard assignments Falcon4?
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
http://qmt.webhop.net
Voice Activated Command
http://www.dwvac.com
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby 3DFlyer on Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:27 pm

I checked the assign,ments that are not working and thay have the correct KB commands.

I think what is happening is the I'm getting a 1 command issued by VAC for a T1, ma 6 command issued for a T6 even though the commands are correct in the profile.

I'm using the profile that is up on the your VAC profile page here.
3DFlyer
Corporal

Postby Shift_E on Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:38 pm

3DFlyer wrote:I checked the assign,ments that are not working and thay have the correct KB commands.

I think what is happening is the I'm getting a 1 command issued by VAC for a T1, ma 6 command issued for a T6 even though the commands are correct in the profile.

I'm using the profile that is up on the your VAC profile page here.

Maybe Sky Dancer or mag_maverick can help you out. Like I said I don't have the game so it's hard for me to follow what's going on.

They should jump in here pretty soon.
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
Voice Activated Command
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby 3DFlyer on Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:30 pm

That would be great. I'm using the first profile on the profiles page. It was coded by SkyDancer and was uploaded on Feb 8 2006.

I did some more playing with it lastnight, and from what I can tell many of the commands are working. I don't understand it as there is no rrhyme or reason to it.

Tower Traffic In Sight reults in a "Tower Request Taxi" command being generated by VAC to the sim. However, Gear Up results in the proper command Gear Up being generated to the sim.

I'm wondering if there is anything speciffic to his profile that may not be matching my setup. There are no macros or anything like tha I'm aware of that are running unless they were coded into the xml profile. I have not looked into the code itself. That would take me some time, and I'd rather wait and make sure it's not something simple before going into the code...especially somebody else's code.
3DFlyer
Corporal

Postby Sky Dancer on Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:18 am

Hi 3DFlyer. I will re-read your posts to try and get a better understanding of the issues. the first thing that springs to mind though is that "Tower Traffic in sight" is a command used in Falcon SP4.2 it does NOT appear in the newer Falcon AF tower communications. so first thought is one of two things:
1). I have been a donkey and put a 4.2 command in my AF profile...I'll need to go and check :oops:
2). you are loading the SP4.2 VAC profile for use with Falcon AF. I have built two different profiles for these two versions of the game.

Keep in touch
Sky Dancer
Corporal

Postby Sky Dancer on Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:32 am

OK, I have checked my tower commands list in my Falcon4-AF profile and "Tower Traffic in sight" is NOT included.
I then loaded my Falcon 4-4.2 profile and that command is correctly included.
I fired up Falcon 4 AF with my Falcon4-4.2 Vac profile loaded and can also confirm that giving the "Traffic in sight" command to the traffic controller in AF does illicit the Taxi Clearance in response.

Conclusion:
I think you may be using the 4.2 V.A.C profile while playing Falcon AF.

So the next thing to check is that the correct file is up on the VAC Downloads page.
Be right Back.....
Sky Dancer
Corporal

Postby Sky Dancer on Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:37 am

OK, Problem sorted.
On checking the Zip file I have given to Shift_E to put on the upload page, I have managed to put the wrong damn V.A.C profile in for AF :oops:
Sorry..sorry ...sorry
I will immediately provide Shift_E with a corrected file.
Sky Dancer
Corporal

Postby Shift_E on Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:19 pm

Great work Sky Dancer! You da man. :smt023
Shift_E

Quick Mission Tuner
Voice Activated Command
Shift_E
Utilities Developer

Postby 3DFlyer on Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:18 pm

Way to go. Thanks a bunch for the info. I would've never caught that as I'm still learning F4AF. I figured it was something I was overlooking. The program responds to every command perfectly. I had manually tested every command in there, and they all were recognizing the right response, and the program was executing the right commands.
3DFlyer
Corporal

Postby 3DFlyer on Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:57 pm

That was fast! I downloaded the profile, and am impressed! I was impressed with the other one also. There is every command you could ever want in there!

That's and outstanding pice of work you did Cloudy. Thakyou for sharing that. I have a feeling my KB is about to become obsolete. hehe When I get those callouts nailed down, and start using them during the training missions, it will sink in, and my KB will be phased out.

This VAC software, along with my CH HOTAS, and TIR4 Pro will give me realism, and will make this simulator a true simulator instead of a "game".

Now all I need is alot more money so i can afford one of those cockpits! hehe :D

Thanks again! It is greatly appreciated. You made my day.

BTW... Shift_E, I do plan on buying the software, and will take care of that in a couple days. I just want to make sure everything will work with my system, and I'm confident it will. You have a very nicely done program. It's well laid out, and intuitive to program. In fact, I had to make a slight mod to Cloudy's profile as I do not have a F13 key. I plan to use a PTT from my HOTAS, but right now, I'm just setting it to always on, and using the mute botton on my headset when I'm not using commands.

Thanks a bunch for helping me guys. :D
3DFlyer
Corporal

Postby Sky Dancer on Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:29 pm

Hi 3DFlyer,
I had great fun in doing that and the older profile for F4 SP4.2

I agree with you regarding Shift_E's V.A.C program, its outstanding and very responsive. I am only sorry to have caused you all that inconvenience with such a silly mistake on my part. Sorry for that, and I am glad we were able to track it down. It gives me pleaseure to know that I have created something useful :D

With regard to the F13 key, my keyboard doesn't have one either :wink:

You can still use them though. I use the TM Cougar, but CH kit must also be able to do this as it is just as programable as the cougar. I am not at all familiar with the CH kit or how to program it though, so I can not be specific about how to enter the necessary keys.

The extended keys F13 through to F24 do not appear on the keyborad but your HOTAS can be programmed to use them and the computer will recognise them.

I did this by using the USB code for key F13 which is 68. I programmed one of my throttle buttons to apply Key Down 68 when the button was pressed and Key Up 68 when it was released. With the Cougar, we use two files, one called a Joystick File, the other a Macro File.

In my Joystick File I put:
BTN T3 /P Transmit-V-A-C /R Rrelease-V-A-C
this breaks down to while Button T3 (a cougar throttle button) is pressed (/P), the Macro "Transmit-V-A-C" is run and when it is released (/R) the macro "Rrelease-V-A-C" is activated.

In my Macro file I have two commands:

Transmit-V-A-C = USB (D68)
which is saying when the "Transmit-V-A-C macro is run the USB code (D68) is sent to the computer, this relates to (D) Key down (68) F13
and
Release-V-A-C = DLY (500) USB (U68)
which means Delay for 1/2 second after the button is released (DLY (500) ) then (U) Key Up (or release) (68) F13.

It is useful to use F13 in this way as some people have experienced trouble trying to use the mouse buttons and some of the other buttons have caused conflicts when used as the "PTA" key. F13 has never (to my knowledge) been used as a sim or game key, so it does not interfere with any of your games/sims.

Anyway, so long as you get the results you want, it doesn't really matter how you go about it :lol: I just thought this might be useful to you.
I am also just leraning F4-AF so who knows, maybe we'll meet on line one day :D

All the Best
Bob "Sky Dancer" Skidmore
Sky Dancer
Corporal

Postby 3DFlyer on Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:18 am

I sure hope i can get online. I am stuck with satelite broadband right now. We have no cable, and are too far out for DSL to work. We've been ina fight to get cable out here for awhile, and are actually having some success, but the wheels of bueracracy turn very slowly. With the petition we have we should be able to get them out here, but I'm not looking for it to happen until next year at the earliest.

Heck, it will take me that long just to learn enough to be dangerous to my allies, much less dangerous to the enemy! :lol:

All these abbreviations and acronyms are driving me crazy. Everybody writes replies in code, and I have to go look up everything in the 700 page F4AF "Codebook" hehe

Sometimes I wish there was a VAC command for "Sentry Speak English!!!"

I'll learn it eventually, but right now I'm inundated with stuff and can't even fly 20 minutes without having to pause and write down a bunch of stuff to look up, and then it's hours before I find it. It seems like it'll take me to the 12th of never to learn enough to complete a mission. hehe

This VAC stuff is very cool. I tried Shoot, and that was an excercise in futility. Completely unuseable. It would issue random commands all by iself, would start slowing down, would issue the wrong commands even though it heard the right ones...oh brother...it was a mess. I had to rid my system of it.

I'm really glad I found VAC. I just got back from flying a bit, and every single command I used worked flawlessly. This is the way a program *should* work! :D
3DFlyer
Corporal

Postby frugalposter on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:34 pm

Hi frugalposter,

This is the second post from you that I had to deal with. The first I just deleted and hoped you would move on. I removed the content of this post as there was nothing useful in it. This forum was offered by the generosity of Euro_Snoopy to create a community who help each other in the enjoyment of their hobbies.

Your last two posts do not belong here and are not welcome. Please stop with your current posts and nothing more will be said and you will be welcome to join in this community to learn and help others. Continue and ask Euro_Snoopy to have you banned from this forum and I'll submit a complaint with your ISP using the IP that is logged here when you use this forum.

I hope you choose to join us,
Shift_E
frugalposter
Air Cadet Level 1

Next

Return to Voice Activated Command (VAC)