PF and FB standalones

A place for discussion about the UQMG, get answers and chat with the author. This is a good place for ideas and problem solving. So come on in and make your posts now.

Moderator: UberDemon

PF and FB standalones

Postby signalnorth on Thu May 19, 2005 12:37 pm

I have stand alone versions of Fb and PF, can I install and use with these?
signalnorth
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby UberDemon on Fri May 27, 2005 3:45 am

This is directly from the UQMG help files in the Help menu. Both issues are addressed, however, you will encounter difficulties if you plan to use one installation of UQMG for a stand-alone FB AND PF in the same computer, because you will have to tell UQMG where to find each one of the programs each time you want to switch from FB to PF and vice-versa.

NOTES FOR STAND-ALONE PACIFIC FIGHTERS (PF) USERS

As the title for this major upgrade of UQMG indicates (UQMG for FB+AEP+PF), it was developed for the combined install of Pacific Fighters (PF) over an IL-2 Forgotten Battles (FB) with Aces Expansion Pack (AEP) installation. There are two reasons for this decision.

But that does not necessarily mean it will not work with the PF stand-alone installation. Let me explain some factors beforehand.

First, it is apparent that most of the users of PF are FB/AEP users as well, and the combined installation provides flexibility beyond the imagination of any flight simulator released previously, at least in my opinion. In summary, I don’t see why someone that had the opportunity to have a combined install would not. Because of that I decided to develop the update to UQMG from that perspective.

The second reason has to do with time and resources. UQMG is solely developed by me. That includes all the programming, all the research (much of it historical using my personal military books library), all graphics, and countless hours using FMB to develop the map and mission templates, as well as using spreadsheets to build the template files, and of course, time testing templates and building sample missions. UQMG is simply a hobby. I have a family and a professional life that has nothing to do with programming or flight simulators. I do this on my own time with grateful understanding and patience from my wife. I simply do not have the resources to support multiple versions of UQMG.

"UQMG" has very complex programming in it. It has been in development for over 3 years. To put things into perspective, it has taken that long to incorporate all 43 maps from FB+AEP into this freeware tool. This is one reason why the Quick Mission Generator (QMB) in the series only has a few maps, and the creation for those templates is magnitudes less complex than the ones in UQMG. I corresponded with Oleg and know how the templates in QMB are built. I built a set for the Online Gulf of Finland for him, but it was never include in the QMB. I may some day sit and try to include that work into UQMG some day.

PF contains features, objects, maps, countries and unit regiments which are not available in FB/AEP, and the same is true for FB/AEP in relation to PF. I am making an attempt to create templates that explore the new objects in PF, but there is always a chance that some objects may only be available in FB/AEP, causing a UQMG mission to potentially not load properly in PF stand-alone. If nothing else, pure aircraft missions should work in PF stand-alone as long as you use aircraft, maps, and regiments that are present in PF.

To help you identify features for PF only, in the aircraft and maps listing I have added "[pf]" to help you differentiate them. I hope this makes sense.

If you own PF, FB and AEP, I urge you to make a combined installation; it is so very worth it. If you do not own FB and AEP, I highly recommend you to purchase both. I even recommend you to purchase the original IL-2 Sturmovik, as all missions in that highly acclaimed simulator are compatible with FB+AEP+PF. UQMG can help you transfer all those IL-2 missions into your current version through the UQMM (UberQuick Mission Manager) imbedded application.
NOTES FOR FB+AEP USERS WHO DO NOT HAVE PF

Yes, UQMG is still compatible with FB+AEP only, with some caveats.

As the title for this major upgrade of UQMG indicates (UQMG for FB+AEP+PF), it was developed for the combined install of Pacific Fighters (PF) over an IL-2 Forgotten Battles (FB) with Aces Expansion Pack (AEP) installation. If you own PF, FB and AEP, I urge you to make a combined installation; it is so very worth it. No WW2 combat flight-simulator of this caliber covers this much ground, and the combined installation allows you to build what-if scenarios that were only thought possible, until now.

However, I have not made changes to the existing templates for FB+AEP, so you can use UQMG for FB+AEP+PF with FB+AEP. I have included visual queues ("[pf]") to indicate the planes and maps that are only available to PF. If you use a feature only available in PF, the mission will simply not load in FB+AEP.
Best Regards,
Demon/UberDemon
http://www.uberdemon.com
uberdemon at uberdemon.com
UberDemon
Utilities Developer

Return to Uber Quick Mission Generator (UQMG)