Couple of questions

A place for discussion about the UQMG, get answers and chat with the author. This is a good place for ideas and problem solving. So come on in and make your posts now.

Moderator: UberDemon

Couple of questions

Postby Zornhammer on Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:03 pm

Hi, newbie user here. First off I admit I have not yet had the time to go through the whole tutorial, so forgive me if my questions are answered there.

- Is the tutorial available without having to install the program? I'd like to look it over here in the office but I can't install software on my machine without getting in trouble.

- I spent a bit of time last night trying to massage a He111 high altitude level bombing mission into place. I'm using it as a training mission for my squad. One thing I would like to have is the ability to specify the exact placement of a static camera, so that I can Ctrl-F2 to it and see if I hit my intended targets after I release my ordnance. I checked off the box that supposedly places cameras at "major points of interest" - but apparently the airfield I'm bombing isn't considered to be of interest because there is no camer there. other than hand-editing the .mis file that is generated, how can I do this?

- Is there a way to specify which direction the plane should be facing when it spawns in? I am using air start at 6200m specified initial altitude (actually the plane comes in at 6800m for whatever reason), and would like to be able to face the plane in a different direction so that it faces something other than 85 degrees.

- Is there a way to tell IL2 to start the plane with supercharger and lean fuel mixture already engaged? Spawning in at 6000m+ with 100% mixture and no supercharger results in a very underpowered plane with plenty of black trails. Similarly, I'd like to be able to have the bombsite settings already configured to something reasonably close to what would be used to bomb (e.g. 6500m bombsite altitude, 300kph TAS, etc.). I suspect the answer to these questions is no, but it's kind of a hassle to have to set this stuff up every time and try to fly the plane at the same time.

- Any plans for supporting the new maps and planes released with 4.01?

- How come the "X" button at the top right of the application is nonfunctional? You *must* use the Exit button - unlike any other Windoews app I've ever seen! :-)

Anyway, great little application - I intend to use it a lot!

Regards,

Zornhammer
Zornhammer
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Zornhammer on Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:54 am

Nobody? Wow - this place is dead.

Oh well. I just got my new Falcon 4: Allied Forces CD anyway. Guess UQMG is out the door.
Zornhammer
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby 1danny on Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:25 am

I don't know :?
think if you hit enter while on map it will show exact plac ment of cam

I think alotta people are sub'ing :prayer:
I wish I had some bongosImage
1danny
Corporal

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:49 am

I can only comment on the following:

- direction that the aircraft spawns - well it faces the next waypoint

- supercharger - AI should handle this automatically, but I know of no way of setting this prior to starting

- Camera, Without knowing the template of the app I do not know the logic of the camera placement.

I use this app and enjoy it. However, Once I create a map I go into the FMB and tweak this such as removing objects, adding things in. It's just faster at creating active airfields and creating lots of waypoints.

As for being quiet - yep, things in general are quiet dispite what people thought would happen after 4.01
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby MaXMhZ on Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:30 pm

No It's not dead ;)

I'm assuming you are asking about PF or Merged 4.x version of IL-2/FB/PF...

Manual:

You will find the complete manual in the main directory of the game (search for manual.pdf) - it even fits on a floppy :) just make a copy at home and take it with you. Alternatively there is an ongoing project at http://airwarfare.com/mediawiki-1.4.5/i ... =Main_Page

Direction the aircraft spawns (or if you want to change it):
Save the mission, then re-open with FMB

While the aircraft is selected use the left/right arrow keys on the numeric keypad or F1 (Hold) then left mouse button and move mouse to turn the aircraft in Full mission builder . If you zoom in to your plane by moving the left slider in FMB down you can see the aircraft turn. If it is a Coop mission, and the aircraft has waypoints, the 2nd waypoint will determine the direction.

Supercharger/Mixture:

You can't set this when you're not in-game and not all planes have manual supercharger/mixture settings.

Camera:

Youcan place camera's in Full mission builder (FMB) yourself. to pllace a camera realy exact - open the mission file ( <your mission>.mis) with notepad. under the "Missions/... etc" dir where you saved it. At the end of the file you will find a section like this (remember these files are case-sensitive):

[StaticCamera]
74621 62583 1000

the numbers are x and y coordinates and height (corresponding to the numbers you see on the grid in Full Mission Builder (Use View-Object from the menu and select "Static camera" tab there after placement.it will enable you to set the height in FMB). I don't know if QMB will place camera's at "points of interest"
Dimensions are in meters.
The camera's allways face East initialy.
Camera's can be your side or the enemy's side (Use both Shift-F2 and Ctrl-F2 to select them in game)

"X" button:

Any windows app can disable the close button and still leave it visible.

It's probably connected to the way the program was written (closing/opening files etc. to not mess-up memory) ;)

About maps/planes - I can only guess at the amount of work it would take to implement them all - but I'm sure it's waaaaay more than a couple of hours ;)

Hope this helped - and sorry if it took too long to reply ;)

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby Zornhammer on Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:28 pm

OK, thanks for the info guys. See up in the sky sometime!
Zornhammer
Air Cadet Level 2

Re: Couple of questions

Postby UberDemon on Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:36 pm

Zornhammer,

Thank you for using UQMG.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1) Is the tutorial available without having to install the program? I'd like to look it over here in the office but I can't install software on my machine without getting in trouble.

ANSWER: Yes. Assuming that you installed UQMG to the default directory, then copy the entire contents of the directory/folder "C:\Program Files\UberQuickPF\ini\fb100\main\tutorial" to a disk or other removeable media. Open "UQMGTutotial_001.htm" and IE or any other browser will open the tutorial.

2) I spent a bit of time last night trying to massage a He111 high altitude level bombing mission into place. I'm using it as a training mission for my squad. One thing I would like to have is the ability to specify the exact placement of a static camera, so that I can Ctrl-F2 to it and see if I hit my intended targets after I release my ordnance. I checked off the box that supposedly places cameras at "major points of interest" - but apparently the airfield I'm bombing isn't considered to be of interest because there is no camer there. other than hand-editing the .mis file that is generated, how can I do this?

ANSWER: The cameras are fixed based on the template, either by map or mission type, so they cannot be moved. Some maps get updated and I simply do not have the time to correct all locations. Some ground target locations may simply not have a camera nearby, unfortunately. The only way you would be able to fix that is to edit the generated mission in the FMB. The tutorial has instructions on how to do that.

3) Is there a way to specify which direction the plane should be facing when it spawns in? I am using air start at 6200m specified initial altitude (actually the plane comes in at 6800m for whatever reason), and would like to be able to face the plane in a different direction so that it faces something other than 85 degrees.

ANSWER: No. The templates have some pre-established paths, and if you start on air, the plane will face the next waypoint. That would be the case with any mission, UQMG generated or not. If the plane starts on a base, then it will face the end of the runway. These are all features of the sim's engine, so they cannot be changed. Your plane is starting at a different altitude because of several factors:
- Plane could be flying over a mountain.
- You could be flying in a plane other than the leader
- Each Flight Group has an offset altitude from each other, and if you add clone flights they have additional altitude offset to minimize the chance of mid-air collision. If you fly in group 1, you will have a different altitude than if you flew in group 2.
- If you use altitude advantage parameters, you may start at a different altitude. Let me explain. Say you fly in a simple map, like Net 1 summer, with mission altitude of 500m, and you fly in flight group 2, and you have an altitude advantage over the enemy of 600m, that is, you are above the enemy by 600m. Say the enemy corresponds to the same group as you, so they fly in enemy group 2

OK, so the mission overall altitude is 500m. Typically, because you are in group 2, you would start at 500m+50m or 550m, but you have to consider the altitude advantage. If you are 600m above the enemy, than that means that the enemy would be under the ground or under the sea (!!!) at -50m... that would be silly, as Monty Python would put it. So UQMG then places the enemy at the mission altitude at 550m (because they are in group 2), and you are placed then at 1150m. How the algorithm works vary depending on the situation, but that will influence how high you are.

4) Is there a way to tell IL2 to start the plane with supercharger and lean fuel mixture already engaged? Spawning in at 6000m+ with 100% mixture and no supercharger results in a very underpowered plane with plenty of black trails. Similarly, I'd like to be able to have the bombsite settings already configured to something reasonably close to what would be used to bomb (e.g. 6500m bombsite altitude, 300kph TAS, etc.). I suspect the answer to these questions is no, but it's kind of a hassle to have to set this stuff up every time and try to fly the plane at the same time.

ANSWER: In so many words... no... :D That again is a function of PF/FB, and I can't change that...

5) Any plans for supporting the new maps and planes released with 4.01?

ANSWER: Of course yes... now if you can ask my boss and my wife to lay off me so that I can spend more time on UQMG, then you will see the upgrade sooner... :D

6) How come the "X" button at the top right of the application is nonfunctional? You *must* use the Exit button - unlike any other Windoews app I've ever seen! :-)

ANSWER: It is a secret. I must kill you now. Actually, I am not a very talented programmer. UQMG relies of several forms, and I do not know of any other way to close all routines in VB outside of forcing the user to use my exit function, which basically forces a "stable" shutdown of UQMG. If I don't do that, part of the application will be hanging on to your memory, causing a memory leak, and using resources that could be used by other applications in Windows. That way UQMG really closes when you exit. Now, as I said, i am not very talented. I asked another experienced VB programmer about this and he simply responded with something to the effect of "crap... I didn't think about that." but otherwise I don't know how to force the usual Close routine (Alt+F4) to take care of all the forms and applications, as in my exit routine... perhaps someday I'll upgrade to VB.NET and hopefully that is easier to accomplish.

7) Anyway, great little application - I intend to use it a lot!

ANSWER: Thank you.
Best Regards,
Demon/UberDemon
http://www.uberdemon.com
uberdemon at uberdemon.com
UberDemon
Utilities Developer

Postby Zornhammer on Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:14 am

Again, thanks for the info. Let me know when you would like me to speak with your boss and wife and I'll write up a nice email explaining to them how important this is. :-)
Zornhammer
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby MaXMhZ on Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:33 pm

Zornhammer wrote:Again, thanks for the info. Let me know when you would like me to speak with your boss and wife and I'll write up a nice email explaining to them how important this is. :-)
:snakeman: Great Idea - I would too - let us know and we'll start spamming them :lol:

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Return to Uber Quick Mission Generator (UQMG)