Book Review : Messerschmitts Over Sicily

Books, Games, Hardware and Software. This forum is for reviews of anything that you feel will be of interest to our readers

Moderator: dieg777

Book Review : Messerschmitts Over Sicily

Postby dieg777 on Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:29 pm

Book : Messerschmitts Over Sicily
Author : Johannes Steinhoff
Pages : 265
Photographs : 1
Maps 1
Published 1969- reprint 1978

bought on E-bay

This book is essentially the story of one month in the career of Johannes Steinhoff, one of the best fighter pilots and front line fighter commanders of the war. However in flashback he tells the stories of other pilots and theatre of operations.
In highlighting this period he focuses on the start of the terminal decline of the Luftwaffe and the effects this has on the men under his command. Johannes Steinhoff is able to bring together the views of a commander and fighter pilot and to analyse the different priorities each had.
It offers an interesting counterpoint to Adolf Gallands autobiography.
While there is not much description of air combat he gives valuable insight in the operations of an airwing; from supply to maintenance to the men under his care.
He gives a valuable insight into air strategy in the appendix.
dieg777
Chief reviewer

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:41 pm

I just finished this book yesterday and found it a very good read and as you mentioned a good insight into the operations of a JG. I also enjoyed the personal aspect of relationships with the other members of the unit (both pilots and non-pilots).

As mentioned there isn't much in the way of air combat in it, but during this period it was more a fight to survive each days bombing and scorn from high command (ie. Goering) than dogfighting.

Was disapointed in the translation of german Luftwaffe terms such as air wing and units. I guess I'm used to just seeing how it was written in German but found it distracting. Not a major fault though as the book is really about the personal experiance of Johannes Steinhoff.[/code]
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Return to Reviews