Trackir alternative

Books, Games, Hardware and Software. This forum is for reviews of anything that you feel will be of interest to our readers

Moderator: dieg777

Trackir alternative

Postby jason_ling on Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:16 pm

Among all the webcam based head tracking solution, I found this one really interested. A new software solution offered at cachya.com. It has 6DOF output and pretty good performance. I used it with my 3 years old webcam, works just fine. Even with a relatively low frame rate (23fps in my case), cursor response is very much smooth and fairly fast, especially when the double rate is enabled. According to their website, it 'predict' rather than merely 'detect'. Sounds to be a good idea.

It simulates a virtual joystick, so may potentially work with most of new games. It took me some time to figure out how to deal with game configuration, but once it works it works great. Have tried in Lock On and Aces High. Targeting for Armd Assult.
jason_ling
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby MudPuppy on Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:26 pm

Hey jason, welcome to Airwarfare! So you have tried this cachya software/head tracking program and found that it works well?
The website does have a free download of a trial version but it looks like the full software is $30 USD.
Would it require a dot on a hat for tracking?
What about the camera that's used; b/w or color?

Thanks for the news and I'll appreciate the added details.
db
MudPuppy
Warrant Officer

Postby jason_ling on Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:22 am

Sorry, I didn't make it more specific.

. I tried the trial version, which allows me to activate 1 out of 6 DOF at a time. A reply from the company promissed equal performance and CUP consumption for 6 DOF.

. It requires a special 'sign' on a hat. Here is the picture of it. http://www.cachya.com/esight/steps.php

. A color webcam is used but in b/w mode. Brightness and contrast need to be turned for good tracking. It didn't work well at the beginning until I figured out that I must turn off auto exposure to get good frame rate.

I have been looking for an affordable solution of head tracking for a while and have tried a few other softwares. This program impressed me by its smoothness and fast response. 6DOF is a big plus. Couldn't find any Trackir to compare with since I am poor.

I would post more detail once made Armd-A work. What still bothers me is I can hardly find any review on the web.
jason_ling
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby MaXMhZ on Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:40 am

This kind of software solution very often performs better with cheaper low-res B/W webcams - more FPS should help, and good illumination of the target (your cap-symbol)

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby jason_ling on Mon May 07, 2007 10:56 pm

I finally figured out how to use it in ArmA. Just use mouse simulation mode, and assign the mouse move detect button to free-look. Looks very cool.

Just paid for the license. BTW: they are offering discount right now. it costs me $15. pretty happy with it.
jason_ling
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby jason_ling on Mon May 07, 2007 10:59 pm

BTW: There video available on google. You may want to take a look.

Just go to google video and search for cachya

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=cachya&hl=en
jason_ling
Air Cadet Level 1

Return to Reviews