First Light by Geoffrey Wellum

Books, Games, Hardware and Software. This forum is for reviews of anything that you feel will be of interest to our readers

Moderator: dieg777

First Light by Geoffrey Wellum

Postby dieg777 on Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:00 am

Book : First Light
Author : Geoffrey Wellum
Pages : 338
Photos : 39
Published : 2002

This is my favourite biography of an RAF pilot in WW2. It describes Geoffrey Wellum’s career from his induction at seventeen, through his training, his active service of two full tours; including the Battle of Britain, over 100 fighter sweeps over France and then Malta.
The story is different, from the usual pilots profiled, in that Geoffrey was not an ace , although he is obviously a good pilot, being chosen as wingman by Brian Kingcombe his No 92 squadron CO. So the book is not full of kills but does describe very well the thoughts and fears of a pilot.
The first third of the book concentrates on his training and his fears that he will not be good enough to make the grade, it is 100 pages in before he flies a spitfire, but his descriptions of his training and flying are interesting and informative; throughout the book you sense his feelings of joy and sometimes terror in flight.
The rest of the book deals with his missions, including one thrilling chase of a Ju88 in near zero visability, and the pilots he met and flew with.
His writing style is fluid and easy and I guarantee that most will not put it down once they start. I got a real feeling of understanding and of almost being there with him during reading this book. I really recommend that anyone interested in pilot stories from this period should pick up a copy.
dieg777
Chief reviewer

Postby tallyho1961 on Wed May 18, 2005 2:52 am

Dieg - you and I have many of the same books. If we were in the same part of the world a couple of pints would be in order.

Cheers my friend!

Dave.
tallyho1961
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby cygfrain on Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:13 am

A very accurate description of Geoffrey Wellum's book, I enjoyed it very much. If I had anything negative to say about it, First Light ends too soon. I'd have liked to know how GW got on with the Typhoon and what he did for the rest of his flying career.
cygfrain
Air Cadet Level 1

Return to Reviews