The Big Show by Pierre Clostermann

Books, Games, Hardware and Software. This forum is for reviews of anything that you feel will be of interest to our readers

Moderator: dieg777

The Big Show by Pierre Clostermann

Postby dieg777 on Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:40 am

Book The Big Show
Author : Pierre Clostermann
Pages : 345
Photos : 34
Published : 1951; new unabridged version 2004

This is arguably the best biography and story of a pilot in WW2.
Pierre Clostermann balances narration and description to give a full insight into this period , the pilots, aircraft and missions they flew.
With such an action packed career it takes only 28 pages to arrive at Biggin Hill ,just after the Battle of Britain, and from then on Pierre Closterman takes the reader through the highs and lows of fighter sweeps over France in Spitfires and then ground support missions in Tempests. In all nearly 400 missions including over 30 kills.
Pierre faithfully kept a diary throughout his career and the book has an intimacy that really grabs the reader.
He was studying for a degree in aeronautical engineering in America when war broke out and so is able to bring a fine engineering and analytical viewpoint to the aircraft he flew, and fought, however at no time does this get dry or boring; rather it offers added insight into his story.
This book really opened my eyes to the scale of loss of RAF pilots at the latter part of the war who flew Typhoons and Tempests in ground support missions and against the remaining pilots in the Luftwaffe. And especially to the bravery and courage all pilots must have had to show in the face of continuing losses and death of comrades.
A well balanced viewpoint and strong narration makes this a strong recommendation.
dieg777
Chief reviewer

Postby Willy on Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:58 pm

1st I must say that I think this is a really good idea for a new forum topic and have a couple up my sleeve I'd love to add, when time permits :D

Then I have to agree with this very well done reveiw of "The Big Show". A number of years ago I was lucky enough to find an original 1951 edition in good condition at a secondhand bookstore for a mere 4 pounds. I believe the change can hands for many times that these days.

It's a true classic and is masterfuly translated from the original French version "Le Grande Cirque" (1950).

With the book in my hand I feel motivated to quote, a little, from the foreword by none other than (at the time) Marshal of the Royal Air Force Sir John Slessor, G.C.B,D.S.O.,M.C.

"If anyone has ever doubted that the French Air Force can produce flying crews of first class quality, let them read this book...." ".....His book is first class__a modest, unflinching record of the real thing. No false glamour, no bravado, no glossing over nor undue exaggertion of the grim facts of airwafare....."
Willy
Pilot Officer

Postby dieg777 on Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:11 pm

Thank you Willy,
Please join in and pass on any reviews of your own favourites
I look forward to seeing them
dieg777
Chief reviewer

Return to Reviews