The First and The Last by Adolf Galland

Books, Games, Hardware and Software. This forum is for reviews of anything that you feel will be of interest to our readers

Moderator: dieg777

The First and The Last by Adolf Galland

Postby dieg777 on Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:37 pm

Book: The First and The Last
Author : Adolf Galland
Pages : 256
Photos: 39
Published 1954

Having been brought up on a staple of stories from RAF pilots, this was my first introduction to the story from “the other side”.
For a long time I thought that this book was the definitive story of a Luftwaffe pilot, however thanks to Stigler’s booklist and reviews I have since discovered some others. You can see his list and short reviews here; http://www.naysayers.com/9jg52/9jg52.html
And I hope to cover some of these in later reviews.

Adolf Gallands career stretched from the Condor Legion to flying jets in the dying days of the Third Reich. He flew exclusively on the western front and scored over 100 kills. His flying career was sandwiched by his time as General of the Fighter Arm in which he was responsible for the organization and co-ordination of the defense of Germany against fighter sweeps and from the daylight bomber raids.

The book is split into 3 parts but really covers 4 distinct periods of his career; training, early flying including the Battle of Britain, his appointment to the Luftwaffe staff and his return to fighters; flying jets.
The first part of the book covers his training, his missions for the condor legion and blitzkrieg operations.
In the second part he covers from the Battle of Britain until the start of American daylight raids
The last part covers the defense of Germany in the West until the end of the war.

There are not many combat reports in the book; rather it is more an analysis of the organization, strategy and tactics that the Luftwaffe undertook throughout each stage of the war and the results that arose from this. He examines the reasons behind the defeat of the Luftwaffe and draws his own conclusions.

This book is an easy read, it flows well and is a worthwhile read if you are interested in the story of the Luftwaffe, do not expect too much actual combat missions, however those encounters he does describe are well written and illuminating.
dieg777
Chief reviewer

Return to Reviews