Alert In The West by Willi Heilmann

Books, Games, Hardware and Software. This forum is for reviews of anything that you feel will be of interest to our readers

Moderator: dieg777

Alert In The West by Willi Heilmann

Postby dieg777 on Sun May 01, 2005 6:40 pm

Book: Alert In The West (I Fought You From the Skies)

Author : Willi Heilmann
Pages : 159
Photos: 16
Published 1955

I had never heard of Willi Heilmann, but picked up this book after reading Stigler’s recommendation from here http://www.naysayers.com/9jg52/9jg52.html and I am very glad I did.
When it arrived I was disappointed- only 159 pages? But these are packed with aerial combat.
The book covers a relatively short time period, from just after the Normandy Invasion until the end of the war, and, giving little background, plunges you straight into the pilot’s experiences flying with JG54 in FW190s; first in the A series and then the D9 variations.
The majority of the book is his descriptions of aerial combat, and tells the grim story of fighting, retreating and loss as an army degenerates in defeat. The action and pace is driven and relentless.
The author has strong opinions on his machine, how it matches up to his opponents and on the pilot’s fate as the experienced fliers are lost to be replaced increasingly with those straight out of training.
His views and experiences flying FW190s make an interesting comparison with some views expressed on the IL2 forums … :wink: .but I wont spoil this for you- go and buy the book and find out for yourself.!! I don’t think you will be disappointed.
dieg777
Chief reviewer

Postby BaLrOg on Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:26 am

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the heads up
BaLrOg
Corporal

Return to Reviews