Track Ir 4 review

Books, Games, Hardware and Software. This forum is for reviews of anything that you feel will be of interest to our readers

Moderator: dieg777

Track Ir 4 review

Postby dieg777 on Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:22 am

REVIEW UPDATED- please post any comments or suggestions for improving the initial review or other thoughts on the devic here- thank you

Review of latest product from TrackIr here

http://www.airwarfare.com/AWX/features/ ... review.htm

another review from SimHQ community member Dart

http://www.darts-page.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=15

and SimHQ review

http://www.simhq.com/_technology/technology_068a.html
Last edited by dieg777 on Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dieg777
Chief reviewer

Postby EAF92_Brigstock on Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:18 pm

Good review, I would of liked it more if it was pitched at non users of TiR/ TiR 1+2 owners also. The target audience for this reveiw was existing TiR 3 users, and TiR3 and VE users specifically. I'd of liked to see how it shapes up against the older models and the benefits of head tracking hardware in general.

All that said though, you have convinced me to add it to my Santa list.
Hopefully Santa will understand that I need this upgrage more than new underwear and aftershave :)

Brigstock
EAF92_Brigstock
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:57 pm

Ah yes, the CharveL profile. There's been one since the early days and I'm still using it!
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby dieg777 on Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:02 pm

@ EAF92_Brigstock

Thank you for your comments

the review of TIR4 was balanced against TIR 3 +VE as that is the kit I have , I dont have nor used the earlier models.

There are other reviews on the site covering TIR3 and then TIR3 +VE which should cover the improvement of using this kit against just using mouse or hat.

I have heard of freeware/shareware versions of other tracking systems which use a webcam but again I dont own a webcam so cannot comment on this, although I remember a thread on the UBI forums discussing these and did not rate them favourably compaired to TIR. However this was a while ago and software generally improves with development so they could have improved since then. I will look into this further ad ask for reviews on UBI from those with experience with these to try to get a feel for how they compaire.

From what I have read the TIR 3 was a big improvement on earlier versions, and the only versions available to purchase new are TIR3 or 4 so I guess I was trying to balace between these two choices.

I still think that either are very good, that TIR4 is better but not by a quantum leap and so if I had TIR3+VE then I wouldnt upgrade but if I was buying new or upgrading from an older model then I would spend the extra on TIR4

Hope this helps answer some of your points, if you have any other questions please post back and I will do my best to answer.
dieg777
Chief reviewer

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:48 am

I have trackIR2 and will think about the move to TrackIR4 because from what I have seen the difference between the 4 and 2 is large enough to warrant an upgrade. If i already had 3 + VE it doesn't look (on papaer that is) a huge enough reason to buy 4.

In saying that however, I'm into IL2 FB PF so vector isn't really going to give me much more than version 2.
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby dieg777 on Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:31 am

IV/JG1_Oesau

Although IL2FB doesnt support the 6DOF , I found that the vector expasion really helped with tracking.

BTW ChervaL has been in touch to claim his beer :D and has tailored his profile for the new TIR4, he is going to send me a copy to try out and I wil let you know how this performs.
dieg777
Chief reviewer

Return to Reviews