Navigation 101 Part 1 of 3 "Introduction"

Here you can post your User guides and make comments and suggestions for guides available on Airwarfare.

Moderators: MudPuppy, dieg777

Navigation 101 Part 1 of 3 "Introduction"

Postby 100th_Alien on Fri May 12, 2006 10:40 pm

We all intuitively know what Aviation Navigation means—it means knowing where you are, where you want to go, and having a good idea of how much time and fuel it will take to get there. Navigation means finding your way.

The two most fundamental methods of finding your way in an airplane are pilotage—the identification of present position and direction of flight by seeing features on the ground, and Dead Reckoning.

Dead Reckoning—an intriguing title. I was once told that the name stems from "You're Dead if you don't Reckon properly," but I think they were pulling my leg.

Dead reckoning is the navigation procedure to plot and fly (in this case) a course based solely on mathematical calculations.

Dead Reckoning and Pilotage are so interdependent, though, that they are essentially one method. Ask a pilot how he intends to navigate to his destination, and if he says "by Dead Reckoning," one knows that he also intends to look out the window at the ground features to check his progress.

Neither Pilotage nor Dead Reckoning require assistance from electronic aids to navigation, thank you very much. If the weather is good, and it's daytime, and you can see the ground at all times, Pilotage can be very satisfactory. But change any one of those variables and the excitement level can quickly escalate beyond what a mortal cares to handle.

Dead Reckoning, on the other hand, is a satisfactory navigation procedure whether you can see the ground or not. After all, both Charles Lindbergh and Amelia Earhart soloed across the Atlantic navigating with Dead Reckoning.
Next Lesson.... MAGNETIC COMPASS

Produced by: Alien
"The four elements: earth, air, water, and fire. Of these, I call your attention to two: air and fire. As pilots we live in the air, but we die by fire."
100th_Alien
Flight Sergeant

Return to Guides & Tutorials