Conf.ini wiped out

If you have a technical Issue please post here and we will endeavor to solve it.

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Conf.ini wiped out

Postby Mel on Wed May 03, 2006 5:02 am

Don't ask me how but most of the content my conf.ini file is gone! I noticed that when I loaded the sim my resolution settings were way off. I fixed them and then discovered that my stick was not working in th sim. I went into HOTAS controls and reassignd the axes. I then discovered that my button assignments were gone. I assigned them again. I started a mission and discovered that the escape key did not work to exit. Had to terminate the program with task manager. I then looked at my conf.ini file and most of it was gone. Is there a way to retrieve o restore the original default conf.ini file short of reinstalling the whole sim? Please tell me there is!

Yes, I should have had a backup.

Thanks,

Mel
Mel
Corporal

Postby EURO_Snoopy on Wed May 03, 2006 3:59 pm

Rotten luck Mel, run Il2 setup change settings there and then do the same in the game, this should write a new conf.ini for you.
EURO_Snoopy
Site Admin

Postby Mel on Thu May 04, 2006 1:09 am

Thanks Snoopy but no cigar. :) I did as you said and it did write a new and larger file but it's still much smaller than the original. My new conf.ini now has 152 lines. The example in the tutorial on this site has 314 lines (not including the extra explanatory text). :? I suspect all conf.ini files may not have the same number of entries depending on machine and settings but 50% seems pretty low. I think a lot is still missing. :( Something is still wrong with the way the sim runs. I tried flying using the QMB. I could fly the airplane but the game froze and stuttered a lot. Up until now its run very smoothly on my machine. When I used the mouse for views I could pan to the left but not to the right. Again, I could not exit the sim using the escape key. I had to use task manger to stop the program. I'm afraid I'm in for a complete reinstall :cry: unless anyone has more suggestions.

So is there really a complete DVD avaialable? I don't think I even have all of the patches saved.
Mel
Corporal

Postby EURO_Snoopy on Thu May 04, 2006 3:51 am

Before reinstalling here is a Fresh conf.ini over 300 lines, just run il2setup and redo joystick settings.

If you are going to reinstall all the patches are available here

For a complete DVD (4.04m) UK & Europe can order one from here US can order from gogamer.com
EURO_Snoopy
Site Admin

Postby Mel on Fri May 05, 2006 12:29 am

THANK YOU :!: :D I'm back in the air and everything seems to be fine. I still find landing a little rough but I don't think that's the conf.ini file. :wink: I have the conf.ini file backed up not only in the IL-2 folder but in a folder in My documents. It was dumb not to have done so in the first place. :oops:

I appreciate all the help I've received. Maybe some day I'll learn enough about the game to help someone else.

Thanks again.
Mel
Corporal

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Fri May 05, 2006 1:07 am

It's also a good idea to bacup your pilot folder (someone will be able to tell you what the name of the folder is, I'm at work so dont have the directory paths in front of me).

The pilot details hold you key bindings that you have made (remember not all of the keys are set up by default and you probably have gone in there and added key bindings yourself). I know that I have some non default key bingings that I wouldn't like having to do it all again.
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby Mel on Fri May 05, 2006 1:55 am

Aha! That explains why I had the same key bindings with the new conf.ini. I thought they were in the conf.ini file. I figured Snoopy was clairvoyant and knew them. :D

There is a "users" folder with a folder for each pilot. In the pilot folders are settings.ini file. I suspect that's the one you mean. There is also a campaigns.ini file in each pilot file. I copied the entire "users" folder to my documents.

Thanks.
Mel
Corporal

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Fri May 05, 2006 2:05 am

Yeah just copy the user file and store that somewhere nice and safe.

I must admit that I have about 3 installs on IL2 FB on my PC, one is a full backup, one is 4.04, and the other is 4.05 (the Pe-2 add on). The beatuy of it is that you can just make copy after copy (if you have the space that is) and the game still works.
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby Luckyboy1 on Fri May 12, 2006 1:06 am

You know, I've never had a problem with my confini file getting wiped out or missing. Could someone please explain what can cause this to happen?
Read Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users...

Luckyboys Guide

For all your hardware needs...

Magnum PC
Luckyboy1
Forum Dissident

Postby 100th_Alien on Fri May 12, 2006 1:23 am

Luckyboy1 wrote:You know, I've never had a problem with my confini file getting wiped out or missing. Could someone please explain what can cause this to happen?

Luckyboy,
I don't believe it is a issue with software or hardware, but more a accidental user type thing.

"The four elements: earth, air, water, and fire. Of these, I call your attention to two: air and fire. As pilots we live in the air, but we die by fire."
100th_Alien
Flight Sergeant

Postby MaXMhZ on Fri May 12, 2006 2:51 am

Luckyboy1 wrote:You know, I've never had a problem with my confini file getting wiped out or missing. Could someone please explain what can cause this to happen?

A couple of years back rumour was it were hackers...
Me, I still believe it's Virtual Gremlins :snakeman:

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby Luckyboy1 on Sat May 13, 2006 5:35 pm

Max, you can tell a Russian bad things about his wife, his car, his pig, but not his math! When you question the prefection of the code, to a Russian, you are saying his math doesn't add up right! Now, with that in mind, just what are you trying to tell Oleg anyways! :wink:

Luckyboys Guide

Magnum PC
Luckyboy1
Forum Dissident

Postby 100th_Alien on Sun May 14, 2006 3:06 am

Luckyboy1 wrote:Max, you can tell a Russian bad things about his wife, his car, his pig, but not his math! When you question the prefection of the code, to a Russian, you are saying his math doesn't add up right! Now, with that in mind, just what are you trying to tell Oleg anyways! :wink:

LMAO...Sad but true. :)
"The four elements: earth, air, water, and fire. Of these, I call your attention to two: air and fire. As pilots we live in the air, but we die by fire."
100th_Alien
Flight Sergeant

Postby MaXMhZ on Sun May 14, 2006 6:08 pm

Luckyboy1 wrote:Max, you can tell a Russian bad things about his wife, his car, his pig, but not his math! When you question the prefection of the code, to a Russian, you are saying his math doesn't add up right! Now, with that in mind, just what are you trying to tell Oleg anyways! :wink:

rofl OK - I was a bit unclear with the Gremlin remark.

The question was what could cause conf.ini to loose data.

What I meant to say is that today's systems are very complex, and it's not allways clear what part causes problems. It was not my intention to blame the IL-2 code. It's far more likely the data loss is caused by timing problems or some driver or system extention, or even the way the system is setup.
A fact is, that conf.ii has had this problem since IL-2 Sturmovik, and the only way to counteract it is to make it read-only after each change in il-2setup or the game. read-only should be turned off when running the game or il-2setup however, otherwise some of the changes you make won't be implemented
conf.ini gets read on start of the game and written on termination of the game. il-2setup also reads/writes it ;) Needless to say neither the game nor il-2setup should be limited by security software to access/change conf.ini ;)

That said, I don't believe IL-2 code is without errors or could not be improved. This flightsim is far too complex to make a claim like that.
I do believe 1C:Maddox does a superb job in user support and improving the program. Just look at all the patches :) In fact 1C:Maddox is one of the VERY few companies I'm willing to buy software from untried - most companies will make claims they don't ever live upto about their products sadly enough - leaving the buyer with an unusable product and not caring at all the moment they have the money in their pocket. 1C:Maddox has allways delivered what they promised - and more.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby Luckyboy1 on Mon May 15, 2006 12:00 am

Good save Max! Just kidding man!

Luckyboys Guide

Magnum PC
Luckyboy1
Forum Dissident

Return to Help Forum