Spitfire speed.

If you have a technical Issue please post here and we will endeavor to solve it.

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Spitfire speed.

Postby thunder990 on Tue May 16, 2006 5:47 pm

Can anyone help with an airspeed problem?

History tells us that a mark 9 spitfire, at full throttle and emergency boost had a top speed in level flight of 400mph+. Why is it on PF/FB i can only just get up to about 320?

Am i correct in assuming i have to have the engine management selected to manual? :?
thunder990
Lance Air Corporal

Postby MaXMhZ on Tue May 16, 2006 7:06 pm

Yes you should have the plane on manual. and with full-real settings. You need to also trim it perfectly which is allmost impossible to do for a human flyable plane (AI pilots can), and then you need to test on the Crimea map at 1000m height at 12 in the afternoon with good weather and take the average of two runs in opposite direction, and then maybe you will get the theoretical maximum speed. Be carefull with what "history tells". It's highly dependable of the person telling it, and probably based on limited testing. Not one single plane will behave the same as another. Even a good cleaning can make a huge impact on parameters like maximum speed. 1C:Maddox has done a lot of research on parameters like this and most often is proved correct in the long run. I've seen quite some heated discussions where 1CMaddox's opinion was the only one standing in the end

Overall the characteristics of the planes in FB are very close to real. and certainly fall within what's possible.
The IL-2 Wingman utility V1.060 rates the IXe model at 540 km/h at sea level, and 688 km/h at 7100 m

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby Luckyboy1 on Tue May 16, 2006 9:21 pm

Also, the game penalizes you a few KPH on many of the planes for not locking your tail wheel lock.
Read Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users...

Luckyboys Guide

For all your hardware needs...

Magnum PC
Luckyboy1
Forum Dissident

Return to Help Forum