Injun rigging thread for X52 , controls and other

If you have a technical Issue please post here and we will endeavor to solve it.

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Postby MaXMhZ on Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:41 pm

Very interesting read. thanks for posting.
look what I just found:
http://members.chello.nl/e.bult2/builti ... index.html
you could use an old-style game controller when you put it on a Gameport USB converter... :D

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Nice set of trim switches

Postby Injun on Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:01 pm

~S~
Max,
Nice picture with instructions. I have seen them before. Right now I am in the proces of building my own rudder peddles using a cheap joystick. I Just bought A Saitek ST290 Pro for it. $20.00 US wasthe best I could do. Used stores did not have any. I gave my old MS Sidewinder to a friend. I just did not have heart or the gumption to ask for it back, personal honor and integridy issue. I hope to have a working set of rudder peddles in about a months time.
Just a matter of design, finding parts/or manufacturing parts and assembly and test. I am going to start with a 2 foot square piece of plywood as the base. Then build the peddle mounts and yoke to move the stick in y direction and us bungee cord as centering or springs.

Still working on n52 control setup. Decided to use mouse well on pad as rudder trim, the E-Rotor for aileron trim and I Rotor as elevator trim.
Once I have everything mapped out and programmed for x52 and n52 will post it here and at the UbiSoft PF forum.
~S~
Injun
aka MudMarine3
Semper Fi
USMCService19 72-1985 AirWing, USMCR19 85-1989
Injun
Corporal

Home Built Rudder Complted today

Postby Injun on Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:38 pm

~S~
Max and Others,

Good thing a no fly day.Had the time to work on rudder project. There done and functional. Found two old fiberboard shelves and one by two's that where an old bunk bed guard. I had some 2 inch wood screws and some others from past furnature projects that my wife had me put together. Other matterial I had was some varied lenghts of bungee cord hook tie-downs for centering.

Only cost, Saitek ST290 Pro joystick $20.00, 1/4 Three inch bolt, nut, 4 washers for piviot, pk of eight # 6 1-1/2 inch wood srews, 2 foot of white pine strep 3/4 by 1-1/2, 2 foot of 3/8 by 1-1/ pine strep for shimmimg and a pk of 1/2 pipe clamps $1.50. cost at 4ome Depot $5.00, High speed USB 4 port power hub $30.0. Total cost $56.50. If you minus the hub becasue it was an expence that would have been need for a factory rudder any way, $26.50.

Not pretty but functioning rudder peddles. Tried them out on that P40E , taxi and take-off. Before I get into that had to reprogram FB View Plus and some x52 stick assignments and rerigg controls with IL2-Stick. The n52 is ID1, ST290 is ID2 and x%2 is ID3. Thank God and Sim comunity for those tools. Results on taxi disasterios resutls three ground wrecks, one took out the tower.Over control of rudder. Rudder is very touchy. Also tried one take off, same results, nasty crash.

Well thats it, I have to learn to use the coverted peddles and that will take practice. After that had to do some minor work on peddle rig and adjustments. That's it for now, sorry no pictures, I do not own a digital camera.
~S~
Injun
aka MudMarine3
Semper Fi
Injun
Corporal

Rudder peddle design

Postby Injun on Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:28 am

~S~
To Max and All others,
I just posted my rudder peddle design at my spaces at MSN.
Just click on www.
~S~
Injun
aka MudMarine3
Semper Fi
Injun
Corporal

Postby MudPuppy on Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:46 pm

Hey Injun, could you repost that link to the design for your rudder pedals. I'm interested in seeing how folks do this and the link seems to be incomplete.

Have a good Independence Day!
MudPuppy
MudPuppy
Warrant Officer

Postby MaXMhZ on Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:11 pm

just click the "WWW" button on the bottom of his message. The link underline is automatically placed by the bulletin board software. (as soon as it sees "www" or "http" it thinks it has a link. :)

Well done Injun! Very inventive and sure beats $120 or $240 plus for commercial pedals. I wonder what a good wood or metal worker would ask for a set of pedals ;)
You must be a very good mechanic :)

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

The design has some bugs

Postby Injun on Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:25 pm

~S~

Max,
The design has some gremlins.
Actuation arm is off center.Might account for Sim rudder problem. Need to center the arm to the axis of the rudder bar. Not bad for the tools and lack of workbench.

Check out the designs at the Pacific Fighters board. Might give you some ideas. Try http://FlightSim.com These MS Flight people take thier Simulation seriously. Some Godd ideas there.

In a US Marine's vocabulary thier is no such word as CAN"T. There are obstacles that need to be overcome and adapted to. What ever design you choose, you must be able to use USB port or adapt a game port to USB. The other designs I looked at had to much electron chaseing, elcetron chasers ( aviation USMC slang for aviation electrician or avionics men)( Hydraulics men are Bobble Chasers and metal smiths are tin benders) A mechanic will go the mechanical approach.

Ya got an old USB Stick, give it a try. I got to get bach and recenter that arm.
~S~
Injun
aka MudMarine3
Semper Fi
Injun
Corporal

Disaster, Pride comes before the fall

Postby Injun on Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:53 pm

Max,
Back to the drawin board. Shorting the actuator arm disaster. Can't grow back cut wood. Flaw in design the ancher point of the arm on the rudder bar. with screws or brackets comes lose after awhile and rudder becomes sloppy. The next atempt will be metal, using wall shelf metal streps. Like to use hinges on peddles with springs a centering and resistance. That I have figured out but how to link it to the control is another matter. I just might have to learn to chase electrons. I have the card from the control and one pot from the handle. Need to check other designs. Just another problem to over come. Good Lord has a sence of humor, saw that I need to be humbled. Well LOL!
Well the Ole Wright brothers must of had thier problems too. They made an airplane, I just want to convert a joystick. Trial and error! Now to get that graph paper out. Learned one lesson. Need to have design drawn out. have precise measurements, not do it on the fly.
I will first do a model first in balsa wood before going into production. A though just hit me maybe cheaper to buy tha dang things. $100.00 US at Amazon.com.

I still want to make a set to prove that I can do it. Will it will be done one piece at a time as the ole Johnny Cash song goes. I just might give up smoking to pay for them. Now that is a radical idea for a 30 year smoker!
~S~
Injun
aka MudMarine3
Semper Fi
Injun
Corporal

Postby MaXMhZ on Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:14 am

hmmm I think it won't be a success for me if I try to build rudder pedald, besides that I'm used to s twist-handle now and it works very well for me.
A thing to remember when txiing if you use a key or button to apply brakes, is to not press the button/key for a long time but tap it in an on/off fashion. if you want little braking applied make the off time bigger, if you want much braking applied make the on time bigger. when you turn you need to apply brkes. if you want to turn sharp, apply much brakes and throw the throttle in to rev up the propellor. With commercial rudder pedals you have toe brakes. left and right wheelbrake can than be applied in an analogue matter giving far better control. When you have a multi engined aircraft you can also use the engines at different settings to help steer, but mostly that becomes a bit too much to handle. when starting the takeoff roll lock the tailwheel. At a certain speed you can lift the tailwheel off by pushing the stick forward slightly,keep the plane level till takeoff speed is reached. Lift off at a gentle angle and go into level flight as soon as possible to build speed, when you have enough speed you can climb. If you fly full-real settings you may have to "slalom" to keep sight at what's ahead in many taildraggers. In online flight keep an eye on what's coming in to land. On landing I allways do a low level pass over the runway to see if I'm clear to land, I then pull up into a hammerhead and on return I'll have lost enough speed to apply flaps/landing gear to come in for a landing - that is, when I still have a halfway working plane on return to base ;) If it's damaged I might land direct... Giving up smoking is allways a good idea, but it's darn hard to do... I wish you much strength in stopping. Wish I had done so decades ago; it might have spared me the strokes I had last year.

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Good Advice

Postby Injun on Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:34 am

Max
As always good solid advice. I will keep it in mind. Watch my progress in my MSN spaces click on the button at the bottom of screen. LOL! Next to the e-mail button. Feel free to e-mail me. You have made my failures enjoyable. With people like you in this forum, the hobby can only grow and prospor. Wish the forum had a spell checker. Mine is losy! LOL! I also suffer from fat finger sydrome. Always hiting the wrong keys, use hunt and peck method. Some joker out there is reading this as saying," This dude needs to learn to type and spell." LOL! He is right! Can an ole dog learn new tricks?

Max while on line watch ya six!

By the way, I have learned enough t0 program my X52 and n52 speed pad. All a person needs is IL2-Stick and FB View Plus. If anyone needs a helpen hand just holler for Injun. Be glad to share my experience.
~S~
Injun
aka MudMarine3
Semper Fi
Injun
Corporal

Postby MaXMhZ on Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:11 am

The good thing about forums is that you don't loose your messages and that others can learn from someone else's experiences.
Building a pair of pedals might look easy at first glance but there are many gremlins that could pop-up. While $120 looks like a lot of money, you get a high precision intrument in return... I'm not sure it's worth it for the toe brakes though. My income situation isn't all that rosy at the moment and one has to make choises. Meanwhile I'm still enjoying IL-2 a lot recently took off and landed the 109 again. That was great after not being able to fly since feb 2005 :D

The spell checker is a great idea, I wished we had one more than once. I even used copy and paste between Ultra-Edit and the forum editor for a while but that's not a very convenient way to work. I'll ask EURO_Snoopy if it is possible to have one on the editor -There must be many checkers available for phpbb, I'm not sure the poor guy has any time for implementing it with all that's going on already ;) We owe him a lot. I guess the main point is that domeone's intention is clear and not how good he is in hitting the keys in the right order lol.You're right that precision is very important, especially when working with levers. they have a tendancy to increase problems of inprecision many times over Metal might be more precise but is harder to process too. Maybe you could rip out a pair of pedals from an aircraft unseen roflmao - imagine the pilots face when he tries to correct on takeoff hehe "what the...where are my pedals?" lol
I'll be keeping an eye on your process and wish you lots of success :)better not.

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

MaXMhZ

Postby Injun on Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:24 am

Max,
This will be my last post here. I am giving up computer gaming. The short of it. I lost my wife of 30 years on the 12th. In the light of my loss these games no long hold an interest to me. I have enjoyed your posts.
~S~
Injun
aka MudMarine3
Semper Fi
Injun
Corporal

Postby MaXMhZ on Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:04 pm

ooo - I'm very sorry for your loss. My heartfelt condolences Injun
I wish you and your family a lot of strength.

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Help Forum