Help at low altitude

If you have a technical Issue please post here and we will endeavor to solve it.

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Help at low altitude

Postby RODDERS on Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:06 pm

Dear All,
Hi, can anyone help. I have been playing IL2 Sturmovik for a couple of months and every time i get into a dogfight i seem to end up at low altitude, travelling very slowly and stalling all the time. I have read the guide and use trim tabs, but i can't seem to do anything about it. I use full power and WEP but always end up either baling out or chewing grass.
Can anyone offer any advice.
Thanks,
Andrew
Ps i am new to computer flight sims having only really played on PS2.
RODDERS
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby MudPuppy on Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:17 am

I feel your pain, Rodders. I've been there many times, usually because I try to get into a turn fight. The best, and probably only piece of wisdom I could give you is to be sure that your fighting style matches that of your plane.
A big hulking chunk of motor like the P-47 needs some room and altitude to maximize its boom and zoom fighting style. Trying to turnfight a lighter more agile opponent like a 109 and you'll start losing plane and body parts in no time.
Once a fight has started though, I usually don't worry about my trim. Managing the prop pitch and the throttle to maximize my speed is more important.

If you haven't seen it before, there is a book available online called "In Pursuit" that is very helpful. It's mentioned recently in this sites "General" forum since it just came out in a paper version with expanded graphics or such.

One last tip; if you keep getting clobbered by the same few plane types try flying from the other side. That is, do a Quick Mission as your opponents against the same plane you normally fly so you can see how the AI handles the strengths/weaknesses of your favorite crate. Be sure to have several planes on both sides and try to get some external views of the maneuvers.

Later,
MudPuppy
MudPuppy
Warrant Officer

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:44 am

Welcome to the forums.

Some of this has to do with the settings that you use, the more realistic settings will have you stalling and ploughing into ground if you allow the fight to become a low energy and altitude fight.

Height is life is one of the rules to abide by. Height is potential energy, and energy provides you with the means to attack and to bug out. This is of course a simplification of it all because some a/c you’ll want it to be a low energy and turning fight because it gives you the advantage against another a/c that can’t match you ability to turn at low airspeeds. That of course is when it is one verus one. If a better energy fighter comes in at height (in comparison to you) and with energy, this aircraft can engage and dis-engage at will, you will never be able to get the nose up to bear your guns on the target if you have low energy. The situation gets worse when there are two bandits doing this to you, it’s a matter of time until they get ya.

Anyway, I’ve gone off track there (though there is a point to it). You should be trying to enter the fight at height, don’t get suckered into getting down on the deck. If they are faster and run away, leave them, climb to height and get yourself into a better attacking and defensive position.

Now, each a/c has it’s own characteristics, some have some nasty stall behaviours and leave you little room for recovery. Now the only way to know this about each a/c is to fly them. Start at altitude and practice, most (a/c) will provide warnings that they are about to go over the edge (buffeting is one of them). Each aircraft has a corner speed, some higher or lower than others. IL2 Compare is a good start as a reference to all of this and can be found on this site).

Again, practice is a good way to learn, or even a squadron, which gives you the benefit of older hands providing help for you. The later option probably seems a little daunting but there are many groups out there willing to help.
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby RODDERS on Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:15 am

Dear Mudpuppy and Oesau,
Thanks for your help. I've been on holiday and not able till now to reply. As i said in my first post i'm new to all this. Unfortunately, i'm not on line at home but am allowed to use my machine at work.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Rodders
RODDERS
Air Cadet Level 2

Return to Help Forum