Really want to complete a mission :(

If you have a technical Issue please post here and we will endeavor to solve it.

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Postby MaXMhZ on Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:02 pm

The log does show it's a graphics related error. A large part of the game's engine is written in Java. It uses Java Runtime Environment (JRE), a Java Interpreter to run. You could try to install JRE from Sun which is the latest runtime environment (it does run faster than the M$ engine that gets installed with Windows, doesn't get updated anymore and is all but obsolete) If the error keeps happening. Just hang in there - we'll get it fixed eventually.

Also give M$ Regclean a spin Here's a download link to MajorGeeks since M$ doesn't support it anymore. Probably the free version of "Your Uninstaller" doesn't work as thorough as the registered (pay-for) version - Rgeclean should fix the registry well enough though for free.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby DieterGoetz on Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:01 pm

Guess what. I completed a mission! Even scored an Ivan!

I installed the java runtime as suggested. I had another look around on the web and followed what was an ideal setup for the tracker head gear (dunno why, i was getting desperate)- turning off anisotropic filtering and antialiasing; Bilinear texture mipmap filter and use dither on only.

One of the sweetest landings i've ever done too. She don't look pretty, but she's sure working (for the minute!). I'll try some of the other quick missions and hopefully they'll all pass with these settings. Then i'll get my practice in and then look to join a jagdgeschwader somewhere... . Be certain i'll let you know if anything goes wrong! :wink:

In the meantime thanks for your patience and help guys, all very welcoming.

DG
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
DieterGoetz
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby MaXMhZ on Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:08 am

Great to hear you got it working :D

Just a tip: nVidea is not good at anisotropic Filtering or even anti-aliasing. The AA can be overcome by switching to a higher resolution (if you don't have an LCD monitor - in that case allways use the monitor's native resolution).

I recently updated from a Ti4800 to an ATI 6900 AGP 4x card and got an instant increase from 20 fps to 40 fps on my old 1.7 GHz P4. It might be good to keep an eye out for AGP graphics cards - my new 6900 cost me 69 Euro :D I believe you could have a simular increase in fps and the accompanying smoother flying and better graphics (I've got ships reflecting in the water now (with real-looking waves) and can use 16x AA and 6x AnIso which together make a big improvement in gameplay On your system I would advice to assign a key to quick-record a nettrack and run the track back later with upped graphics settings - this works online too, custom skins for all planes will show in the nettrack and it has less performance impact than a screenshot would. The CPU doesn't need to do half as much on track playback - and you can pause/slow-down time also and then take screenshots e.g. with water=2 trees=2 in conf.ini (you'd get trees/clouds reflected in rivers and different types of trees and bushes that way.

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby DieterGoetz on Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:03 pm

Erm...i'm having problems again...sorry!

That particular mission I tried was fine, but the same happened when it came to other missions.

I have since reformatted my machine, and it is now not really a problem with il2 as a problem with my graphics card.

I downloaded a benchmark tester with an OpenGL option and tested my machine (directly after the reformat and installation of DirectX9.0c and the nvidia drivers). The benchmarker puts the performance of this machine below that of a Matrox AGP P2 350! Its score being 0-1 (i'm guessing percent). Theres obviously something really really wrong here... I realise this has gone out of the il2 scope now, but any help/past experience with this type of issue much appreciated! :(
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
DieterGoetz
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby EURO_Snoopy on Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:11 pm

I can only recommend geting a new graphics card. You can get a Geforce 4000 series card very cheaply now, even a Geforce 6600 is not too expensive.
EURO_Snoopy
Site Admin

Postby MaXMhZ on Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:17 pm

Could you pleasde tell what benchmark program you used?
Did you install a single graphics driver since the reformat?
Keep in mind to compare graphics benchmark results to systems as close as possible to your own. If you compare to a system with better CPU or a faster AGP e.g. depending on how much the benchmark program relies on the CPU results will change rapidly. If you used a program that doesn't rely much on CPU power and the P2 system has a faster AGP/better graphics card it could very well beat your system's performance results

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby DieterGoetz on Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:12 pm

I actually got the thing working. After I bought a 6200. Go figure.

It ran fine in DirectX but not OpenGL. Benchmark was giving a low score for OpenGL. I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled the original MSI Starforce Drivers from the disk supplied and the OpenGL benchmark worked great - gave a score of about 65%. I thought, hmm, OK, lets see if I can find any later MSI drivers online, downloaded, installed, and although performance didnt increase, it remained steady and working fine.

I have got the 6200 today, installed it, and - guess what - OpenGL doesnt work. It seems to be some kind of incompatibility with the drivers, and the incompatibility seems fairly random! It's a problem a few other people have had in the past, with nobody really knowing the answer.

I have posted this problem in other forums, and the best advice was to 'buy another card' which is a pretty pathetic piece of advice, point proven above. In some cases people were talking to me like i'm some kind of idiot - which I don't take kindly to, but hey, I guess thats the net!

I'm now trying to download drivers for the new card from the manufacturer in the hope that they might solve this new problem (although I would have thought the bundled drivers would have done the trick). I will try a complete driver clean and go for it again. I'll let you know.

But for anyone who is having the same problem - it p***** you off yeah? Download a benchmark tester (such as Benchmar4.0 from http://www.bluechillies.com/details/9988.html - it saves having to run a game over and over) Check your drivers - and the best advice I can give is check driver compatibility with your card (age of card, version of drivers etc), and if possible download the drivers direct from the CARD manufacturers website (e.g. MSI) rather than the chipset manufacturer (e.g. Nvidia). This seemed to help me out - and I hope it helps others, this is one hell of an annoying problem!

My system still crashes, but after submitting an error report to Microsoft, it came back saying that the error is due to a major component (mobo, CPU, PSU, RAM) malfunctioning. So, I guess its a complete system overhaul and no stable flight-simming til then!

Cheers guys for trying to help anyways.
DieterGoetz
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby MaXMhZ on Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:43 pm

From what I read on the net the 6200 is indeed a bit unstable (random crashes), even under Linux. I'm not sure if upgrading other components would solve this. I would wait a while.Things like this will have the manufacturer's attention fairly quick, and you can be sure they will put efford in to solve it as soon as possible. I would not give the M$ advice too much weight - they are looking at problems from the OS point of view and don't realy come back with clear and easy instructions often on how to solve problems (specially random ones). I would email the card 's tech support department - I had an AOpen Ti4200 before my previous card. When it died I got it replaced without cost for a Ti4800SE after I contacted them :) I allways run Futuremark's 3DMark2001 on demo mode for a day after installing a new card, and use SiSoft's Sandra to burn-in other components If there are any problems it's best they turn up as soon as possible while the warrantee is still valid.

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Help Forum