Problems with reinstall X52

If you have a technical Issue please post here and we will endeavor to solve it.

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Postby Red Gremlin on Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:24 pm

I had a fault with an X52 Joystick and it was replaced under warrantee. Whilst the new one 'works', I cannot fine tune it with the SST Program because it will not load. Searching for sai*.* no longer produces any results (all the program bits have been deleted) but when I try to download the latest drivers, I get the message 'Setup has detectected an old Saitek installation. This will be removed' Click 'OK' but then message 'Error extracting support files: the system cannot find file specified'
Saitek were helpful at first but now seem to have washed their hands of the problem.
Any assistance gratefully received!!
Red Gremlin
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby MaSkullKo on Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:14 pm

Hi Red Gremlin,

I´m also using this software for my gear: Rudder pedals + gaming board with command pad.
Had a similar problem after I disconnected a device from the USB.
Seems that the path to the software is lost then, which explains your error messages: `Setup has detectected an old Saitek installation´ and `Error extracting support files: the system cannot find file specified´.
But the software has still to be there as long as you didn´t remove it.
You should be able to detect it in your Saitek programm folder and in the control panel under software.
Once found you should make back-ups of the presets you like to keep for further use. You need to copy, i.e., the files: `BF-109 K4.dat´ together with the `BF-109 K4.pro´ into an interim folder.
Following the savest approach is to completely remove all Saitek drivers and the SST programming software under control panel>software, then reinstalled everything again.
Drivers first, thereafter the SST software, then insert above mentioned preset files in the SST folder.
Only one SST installation serves for various Saitek devices.

Everything should work properly thereafter.

Hope this will help.

Cheers and good luck.

MaSkullKo
MaSkullKo
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby Red Gremlin on Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:51 pm

Hi MaSkullKo
Many thanks for your help but I'm still stuck!
There must be some bit of program that's causing the problem but I can't find it.
I've got rid of all files to do with Saitek and running search 'sai*.*' no longer finds any files.
When I try to reinstall I still get the same old message about previous version and then not being able to find it.
I'm beginning to think about taking the drastic move of formatting my hard drive and starting all over again!
Regards
Red Gremlin
Red Gremlin
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby MaXMhZ on Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:42 pm

In what way did you remove the SST profiler and drivers? I hope you didn't just delete the files and thought that would be it...

Saitek drivers and SST Profilers also use (cryptic) Window's registry entries. Check the Saitek site what keys need to be erased from the registry, and keep to their instructions by the letter, after everything is removed re-install drivers and profiler.

If you did not already, visit the official Saitek Forums. They have excellent technical support and react quite quick.here's a link to the x52 forum

Allways remove programs/drivers through Add/Remove Programs under Control panel, and before you do (also before adding new drivers and editing the registry) make a system restore point so you can undo changes easy.

I found a simular problem to yours at the x52 forum. UKSupport replied:
Try deleting the Installshield Installation Information folder from the C:\Program Files folder and see if that makes any difference.
Saitek UK

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Thanks a million!

Postby Red Gremlin on Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:47 pm

Hi MaXMhZ
What a pity that I didn't post my problem on this site earlier!
I followed your lead to the X52 Forum, had a positive reply the next day and having deleted the file that was causing the problem, everything's OK now.
Many thanks
Red Gremlin
Red Gremlin
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby MaXMhZ on Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:12 pm

No Problem Red Gremlin, and thanks for the kind words.

You'll find Airwarfare/Mission4Today members are a great bunch allways willing to help out a fellow simmer.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Return to Help Forum