Need Help Installing IL2, IL2FB, AEP

If you have a technical Issue please post here and we will endeavor to solve it.

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Need Help Installing IL2, IL2FB, AEP

Postby bcc335 on Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:33 pm

Guys, I have read the patching and installation guide and am a little confused. I have:

1. IL2 Sturmovik installed with no patches
2. IL2 Forgotten Battles not installed
3. IL2 Ace Exp pack not installed.

Does IL2 Forgotten Battles Install over the top of IL2 Sturmovik?

If that is so then I do not need to apply any patches to IL2 Sturmovik and should just install IL2 Forgotten Battles and no patches and then IL2 Ace Exp pack followed by patches?

If IL2 Sturmorvik remains standalone after the install of IL2 Forgotten Battles and IL2 Ace Exp pack then I would apply the appropriate patches to IL2 Sturmovik 1.1, 1.2 and leave as such followed by the installation of IL2 Forgotten battles with no patches and then IL2 Ace Exp pack followed by appropriate patches?

I plan on getting the Pacific fighters here in the near future and if I do should I merge these? what is the best course of action.

Man this is confusing! :)
bcc335
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:17 am

Hi bcc335,

IL2 and IL2 FB (forgotten battles) are separate installs and should be treated as two different sims with different patches.

Now, with IL2 FB and Aces; just install IL2 FB and then install Aces (see this link) followed by these patches 2.01 & 2.04 (http://airwarfare.com/mediawiki-1.4.5/i ... nsion_Pack). This will give you the latest version up to Pacific Fighters.

Now if you want to get Pacific Fighters, the best bet is to merge the install with IL2 FB + Aces. But I’ll stop here because there has just recently been released the IL2 1946 DVD (see front page here http://www.airwarfare.com/index.htm) which is all the content from IL2 FB to the most current patch (4.07). It’s done with one simple install from the DVD and is IMO the best way ahead if you are thinking of getting Pacific Fighters.
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Thanks! Oesau

Postby bcc335 on Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:30 am

Thanks Oesau! I'll give that a shot! And you have a great signature avatar!

regards, Bcc335
bcc335
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby MaXMhZ on Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:35 am

If you plan on adding PF to FB+AEP you can at this moment patch it up to 4.05m (nneding the 4.05m P-2 Peshka pay-for addon download) - The Sturmovik 1946 DVD will install to 4.07m in one go, but can't install to any other version. There will be downloads (pay-for) available to patch to 4.06m and 4.07m later. This simulator has been on the market for quite a while resulting in a lot of sometimes complicated patching. The Sturmovik DVD is priced at the total cost of the 4.06 +4.07 patches, in other words you get FB, AEP PF and patch Pe-2 Peshka for free as well as patch 4.06 (Sturmoviks over Manchuria and patch 4.07 (1946 Patch) bringing you to the latest version. In recent years allmost all users have patched to the latest available version within a year of it being published, merged the install and fly that online.
I agree Sturmovik 1946 is the best choise to go. It will save you the CD ahuffle and downloading of many MB of patches, while after 4.04 everything is pay-for anyway, so it will also safe you money going with the Sturmovik 1946. Some, not all DVD RW drives have problems with the DVD, but an upgrade to the latest drive firmware (drivers) will solve that 99% of the time.
You do have to disable virtual drive (CD/DVD emulation) software before you can install or run the game. an uninstall is only ncessary if the emulator has no disable/exit function. There will be a 4.08 patch in the future (free). If patching the oldfashioned way by downloading the patches, make sure to run the game after install and check in the lower left corner if the patch installed OK (The version number of your current install will show there above the "Loading..." message.

Any questions/problems feel free to post on these forums, we all will be happy to help wherever we can.

Give our sister site http://Mission4Today.com a visit too, you will find a lot of (mostly free) resources for the IL-2 series sims there as well as Forums and news.
And welcome to Airwarfare!

It can be a bit confusing at the start, but there are many people willing to help you along.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Return to Help Forum