Go 229 and Mistel quiz

If you have a technical Issue please post here and we will endeavor to solve it.

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Go 229 and Mistel quiz

Postby ignaciojavier on Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:44 pm

Dear Forum:

You have always been so helpful. It might seem a very elemental question but I cannot solve it myself:

1. Is there any way of taking off with the Go 229 in a straight line, without slowly turning right? Is encreasing opposite engine power the only way to counteract this effect ? Has the front wheel anything to do with this? Is there a front wheel steering control anywhere?

Comment : Flying wings are suppossedly tricky to fly without computer assisted controls, but in FB it is quite easy to fly. The reason might be that the Horten Bros. Go 229 and other flying wings never flew, but that might be the general rule with this type of airplanes. I suppose that Maddeox didn´t want to complicate our lives that much . The Hortens continued experimental flying in Argentina in the late 40´s and early 50´s with questionable results ( lack of budget and resources ).

2. Once you launch the Ju 88 Mistel . How do you guide it to the target ? Are there any controls for this purpose? I just can´t find them
ignaciojavier
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby MudPuppy on Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:46 pm

Hey Ignacio, I'll try to answer the second question. The Ju-88 Mistel is an odd bird to say the least. Check the ReadMe file in IL2 for some more specific information (I have v 4.08 btw, but it should be in yours if the Mistel is an option).
Essentially center on your target, drop speed and 'detach aircraft' from a good distance off. I would assume that you have this 'detach aircraft' command keyed already. I just saw that the read me file says 1 kilometer distance at least. I should have read this before my last forays with that flying bomb, I kept getting blown up..a lot!
There is an autopilot (term?) in the Mistel that will keep it in on the course when released.
:twisted: It does make a big boom :twisted:
I honestly have never flown the Gotha. If it's tricycle landing gear, wouldn't the rudder control the front wheel when you taxi down the runway?

Anyhoo, good luck!
MudPuppy
MudPuppy
Warrant Officer

Postby MaXMhZ on Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:05 pm

I don't have any problems with the Go-229 taking off. Are you sure you ignited both wngines? (and has throttle selected for both too?)

The way I do it is taxi to the end of arunway, line up, advance throttle to 80-85% and start the run, using rudder to keep aligned, and pushing forward to get the airplane's fuselage paralel to the ground. The Go-229 has a HUGE nosewheel. Once the fuselage is horizontal, I keep using rudder to align untill I slowly take-off, build speed then retract gear turn/climb and fly off. On landing I usually go in dead-stiock (=both engines off) and come in low with the fusilage parallel again untill I'm on the runway. Then tapping the brakes untill I come to a halt.Here's a nettrack for 4.08m taking off and landing on the Norway map
It doesn't deserve an award, but keep in mind I did it with my right hand only ;) no trimming whatsoever; only a Saitek evo at work.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:24 am

Hi ignaciojavier, the Go 229 actually did fly, have a read here: http://www.geocities.com/nedu537/go229/
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby MaXMhZ on Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:50 am

Landing the Horton IX Go229 has a destinctive glider plane feel about it. Not strange keeping in mind the Horton brothers were glider designers...
One of the greatest planes ever - I'm glad it's in IL2 :D

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby Proud IL2 ACE on Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:48 am

I also recomend you drop the mistel and get you behind out of there or the force from the explosion will, oh how should I say this, you'll be pushing up the daisys. :lol:
Proud IL2 ACE
Flight Sergeant

Return to Help Forum