Hello, New pilot here, simple ques. about IL2FB AEB?

Welcome everyone. Here you will find forum guidelines and posting tips. This is also the place to introduce yourself to rest of the community. I think you'll find we're a welcoming lot.

Moderators: MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Hello, New pilot here, simple ques. about IL2FB AEB?

Postby Quasar on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:09 pm

Hello,
First let me start off by letting you know that I was an avid CFS3 player, but recently bought IL2 FB AEB and instantly fell in love with this game. It is in my every waking thought.
I have a few questions concerning the gameplay:
1. When flying the Stuka, I have 2 diferent kinds of bombs on it. 1 type is on the wings and another is on the fuselage itself. However, I can only drop them both with the joystick button #3(or #4 I cant remember). Is there a way to individually drop the ordinance with a selected button. ie. the wing bombs with joystick #3 and the fuselage bomb with joystick #4?

2. My manual says that if you have soundblaster Live! you should set the channel number to 44, but the game will only allow you to use default, 16, and 32. Is there a problem with this? I'm not experiencing any sound problems, so I guess I should go with the old mantra "if it aint broke, dont fix it."

3. The new IL2 set which features IL2, IL2 FB AEB, and Pacific fighters, says that you can do missions over Normandy, however, I am only able to fly an Eastern front campaign as either russian or german. Is there a new patch that I'm missing? I have downloaded the official patches from the official website (2 for IL2FB and 2 for the Aces Expansion pack) I can set up a "create detailed mission" with the maps. But can only fly a quick mission with smolensk, islands, and I believe Lvov maps.

Thanks for the help and it is good to see a great community for this great sim. I am also a member of subsim.com which has a great following for all the sumbarine sims out there.

again, thanks. I will post this in the problems forum too.
Mark, bubble-head turned flyboy.
Quasar
Corporal

Postby Quasar on Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:29 pm

I may need to get Pacific fighters. After reading the patching guide, it looks like v4.04 is the way to go, this may be the most recent and up to date patch.
If I buy Pacific Fighters, will v4.04 be the next step in pacthing? or will I need to install all three v4.0 patches?
thanks again.
Quasar
Corporal

Postby Luckyboy1 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:54 pm

Wait! There is a new version of the game coming out...

http://www.airwarfare.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1108

The current game, at its' most expansive and best capabilities requires you have either...

Forgotten Battles and Ace Expansion Pack and Pacific Fighters all loaded up and patched in the proper order.

or

Forgotten Battles Gold Pack and Pacific Fighters all loaded up and patched in the proper order.

Why so many patches?

Because unlike Cousin Billy, Oleg has experience in actual design of combat aircraft electronics and 1C: Games actually responds to their customer base by making add-ons and patches to an already outstanding game.

I'd pre-order the new version. Why? I'm not sure, but it probably will have some features you cannot have with the older versions.

Why should you pay for this? Well, trust me when I say that you can play this game for three years for several hours a day and never tire of it if you have the brains to know what you are getting. So what are you getting?

Over 200 flyable aircraft and a bunch more AI planes that with a few tricks, you can fly externally at least. There is everything from old, carburated biplanes that if you give them negative g forces, the engine quits to jet powered flying wings. If you can't find several planes you like, you just don't like airplanes!

Stunning graphics capabilities for those with high powered PC's yet so scalable, that no matter what... within certain minimum limits that is... you can tweak the eye candy to get as much as possible out of this game without completely porking the frame rates.

You get carrier operations

Maps from the western front, the Eastern front, North Africa, the Pacific maps

You get a full mission builder that allows you to choose hundred of objects to make an almost infinate number of combinations with weather ranging from clear skies to fog, rain, snow, thundertorms and you can choose combinations of times of day and night along with weather for some great and challenging affects.

It also has ships lovingly modelled like the Turpitz and the Yamato and tanks and AAA and trucks and rockets and artillery.

This IS NOT a game you will pay for and make a drink coaster out of in four hours or even four years. Buy it!
Read Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users...

Luckyboys Guide

For all your hardware needs...

Magnum PC
Luckyboy1
Forum Dissident

Postby EURO_Snoopy on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:18 pm

The latest release is FB+AEP+PF V 4.04m nothing over and above what has been previously released, just a lot less patching nightmares all around :rolleyes:

Bloody cheap too! at £14.99 about 10% of the launch price of all 3 games
EURO_Snoopy
Site Admin

Postby Luckyboy1 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:22 pm

Sounds good, just to show my support, I'll get it and also make a smoother patch process in the first place.

Luckyboys Guide

Magnum PC
Luckyboy1
Forum Dissident

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:23 pm

I'm all for buying just to provide the $ support which I know many others are doing.
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby EURO_Snoopy on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:24 pm

Yeah, I sent off for mine this morning, saves me making a backup of my entire FB folder.
EURO_Snoopy
Site Admin

Postby Luckyboy1 on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:47 pm

I just hope the bastids have gotten serious about piracy, that's all.

Luckyboys Guide

Magnum PC
Luckyboy1
Forum Dissident

Postby MaXMhZ on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:04 am

hehe LB - just remember how frustrated the idiots that pirate the game will be after their burned cd copies croak after 2 years :D while the original pressed cd's still have decades of life left in them. ;)
I'll buy mine as soon as I have a possibility to pay online or wait till it hits the shops over here which can't be long :) maybe it'll pay for a new tire on Oleg's car if enough of us buy it at this ludicrously low price :)

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby Luckyboy1 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:17 am

It's just kinda frustrating to see Cousin Billy's Combat 3 offering flying off the shelves and legally so while a much better game gets stolen wholesale!

The problem with waiting for the burned copies to die is the fact that just one person with a legal copy can post it on the internet, complete with patches and the no CD rts.dll file and away it goes again.

This is why I think the game needs a killer add-on that will be a paid version. Maybe a Med. add on with four, 4 engine bombers included. It should be protected as best they can and they simply are not doing so at this point.

I know a limited amount of piracy can help a game, but this is rediculous! I'm over at http://www.anandtech.com and a guy asks me about the game. I tell him and he says...

Wow, I'll get it!

and then later he posts...

Hey everyone, I found it for free at http://www.asswhipe.com or something like that. How long does Oleg think the paying customer will put up with all of this?

Can all piracy be stopped? Of course not, but they could at least make it a little difficult.

Luckyboys Guide

Magnum PC
Luckyboy1
Forum Dissident

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:34 am

LB - I picking up on the fact that you want a 4 engine bomber :wink:

You're right, limited piracy can be a good thing, but what is limited. Once it's on the net it just spreads like wildfire and spawns copy after copy!
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby Luckyboy1 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:35 am

Some companies allow like the original version to be pirated, but to get updates and add-ons, you have to have a registered copy of the game in a drive before it will download. Just giving away the whole farm is dumb!

Luckyboys Guide

Magnum PC
Luckyboy1
Forum Dissident

Postby MaXMhZ on Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:36 pm

every copyprotection scheme sadly enough has it's drawbacks, some like Starforce so much so even that it's holding me back from playing any game that incorporates it. zThough it might look simple, I think a simple email registration with a registration file send back to the buyer would deter 90% of illegal players. And there would be no need for an original cd in the drive either (I don't like that because sooner or later the cd gets damaged, and it slows gameplay down + produces a lot of noise). The email registration seems to work quite well for net-peeker (see net-peeker.com) Although there are illegal copies on the net of net-peeker they don't work :) without a registration file (which is linked to the original buyer, so he would be stupid to copy and spread that... The problem with any copyprotection is that it's a huge magnet for crackers - they want to bloat they cracked it, and sooner or later they will. I can't understand why people that are brilliant enough to do that waste their talent in this way, but it's a fact they do. Furthermore it's legal to make a backup copy for software you legally purchased in most countries. It's quite understandable people want to protect their investment by making a backup The only way forward for the software industry is without copy protection. If email registration works for net-peeker, I don't see why it shouldn't work for games. It makes distribution and updating much easier (I can just download a new version of net-peeker and it will still work with my old registration file) It will also drop the cost of distribution for the developer and eliminate the need for backups for the user. A win-win situation all around :D for the 1% (and dropping) that don't have internet you could put the registration file on a floppy or whatever and send it by snail mail, so even those could play the game. Extra stuff is not a solution. They would just pirat it with the rest of the game and if it were distributed with the original (printed maps/manual etc) production and distribution costs would go through the roof. You need to make it so illegal distribution doesn't harm you but works in your favour. I wouldn't mind a million pirats distributing my software for me. It would save me the bandwidth cost to do it myself :D If there's a fool-proof way so the users would register - who cares? Even if they don't all register, if enough do (And I'm sure they will) the piracy problem would be over in no time. You would also draw a LOT more players to the game. Net-peeker can be downloaded from the net for free (30-day trial period fully working). I can highly recommend it Give it a try: http://www.net-peeker.com It's a firewall (full stealth at Shields-up!), pop-up stopper, IP blocker, and IP/data logger for just $25,- It has a VERY small footprint and hardly uses resources, will work on win95 thru WinXP Pro and has some realy great features. It works way better for me than McAfee security suite or Norton Internet security. It's a great tool for online gameplay too. It's got a great bandwidth graph, can throttle bandwidth for each application, and even can monitor othercomputers in your home network (worried what your kid was up yesterday? - try it! It shows and lets you control any running process and all external connections (in-build IP tracer) It works on a driver level and can detect and block most attacks on your system. If people connect with the wrong netspeed to your online game you can easyly force them to the right netspeed, or even block them by IP
It recently helped me identify and block a very nasty virus/backdoor (Generic Downloader.s) my system was infected with and identify the hacker responsable
Sorry I wandered off a bit, but I realy like NP and how it's protected.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby Luckyboy1 on Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:24 pm

You know Maxi, your no fool and when you are talking Starforce, you are talking a driver package and there's no such thing as a driver that works prefectly with all system confingeration possibilities. Now, there is a small, small chance you are assigning to Starforce what is caused by something else, but again, I know you and know what you know about PC's to a degree and know you aren't just another simpleton user out there blaming things that go wrong by shotgun affect.

I've smoked on this issue for quite sometime now. The alternative to Starforce you propose is reasonable, cost effective and will slow the piracy to a crawl and that's the best we can hope for. So I think it's time I came off the fence on this starforce issue and as much as I want to protect the game and reward Oleg and 1C: Maddox Games Inc. I've got to say no to Starforce. I've asked lots of questions lots of places and gotten hysterical answers in response on both sides of the Starforce issue and it hasn't been easy to decide.

When I do a reformat job, UBI asks me to register the game. Ok... why? I get nothing out of it but spam and they don't use the information to put me with anything as far as benefits the pirates don't get, so why? Why waste my and their time?!

Now, before I go off like the psychotic soldier you all already know I am on this game and this issue... I'm embarrased to ask... please understand, I hold you in the highest regard, but I want to be able to just blow away anyone who points to my decision being based on the word of one person and be able to say...

Yeppers, he bought the game!

So, please scan your discs and post them to this thread please! I hope you'll understand that this is NOT doubting you, but I want to have my stuff rock solid before proceeding.

Luckyboys Guide

Magnum PC
Luckyboy1
Forum Dissident

Postby Quasar on Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:36 pm

Wow!
Thanks for all the input!
I really like the Il2 series better than CFS3. The flight modelling, aircraft, etc. is just plain amazing in IL2. I am going to purchase Pacific Fighters today and will now support IL2 games.
I am going to buy it right now, as a matter of fact.
be back,
thanks again.
Quasar
Corporal

Next

Return to New Members