How do I get started?

Welcome everyone. Here you will find forum guidelines and posting tips. This is also the place to introduce yourself to rest of the community. I think you'll find we're a welcoming lot.

Moderators: MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

How do I get started?

Postby DeeBee on Wed May 10, 2006 5:45 pm

Ive been playing Aces High (Hitech Creations) for a couple of years but its become more akin to an arcade game than a combat flight sim and I want a change. Ive recently bought Il2 Complete Edition and would love to play online. Im not all that clever with computers (Im very old you see :roll: )and the procedure Ive been following seems a bit complicated to say the least. However, I did finally arrive at a page that looked as though it was the one I wanted BUT nobody else online! I live in UK and one of the positive things about Aces High was that I could find players (opponents) 24/7. Am I right in thinking this is NOT going to be the case with IL2? The other thing I dont understand is that Ive arrived at a page which tells me to 'confirm password by chat' with out any obvious way of doing this. Of course , I may not be doing the rigt thing anyway so if some kind soul could point me in the right direction..............and let me know about he 24/7 issue it woul dbe more than appreciated.
Thanx
DeeBee
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby MudPuppy on Wed May 10, 2006 8:00 pm

Welcome DeeBee. I think you'll find this combat sim is a hoot to play, as challenging and as varied as you want it to be.

I stick to offline play myself and will be the first to say that I do not have the expertise in troubleshooting that others in this forum do. I have gleaned a lot of information and help from the forum here. Check the IL2 and the Help forum by using the search function.
But you may want to first go to the "Tech Help" section that you can access from the main page. There are several guides there that can probably answer these questions and get you set for future fun.

I'm sure some of the online players and code writers will chime in soon and give you some more specific advice. Enjoy!
MudPuppy
MudPuppy
Warrant Officer

Re: How do I get started?

Postby EURO_Snoopy on Wed May 10, 2006 8:32 pm

Hi DeeBee, welcome to the forum. It may seem at first that there is a lot to learn but you can get in the air pretty quickly by following a few tips. Mudpuppy has been with us for only a few months but is already helping out with some great tips.

DeeBee wrote:Ive arrived at a page which tells me to 'confirm password by chat' with out any obvious way of doing this
This is Hyperlobby, here is how to login:

FIRST CONNECT

Upon your first connection you must create a user account. Create you own account:
1. Type your own callsign into the "CALLSIGN:" textbox **,***
2. Type your password into the "PASSWORD:" textbox **,***
3. Check the checkbox "REMEMBER" if you want to use the "automatic password remember" function.
4. Press the "CONNECT" button.
5. You may get game the location dialog (installation for some games cannot be detected automatically), which will be explained in the next part of the guide.
6. Have look at the chat window.
7. The server will ask you to confirm your password from the "PASSWORD:" textbox (enter it at the chat line).
8. The server will then ask you to type your email (enter it at the chat, and make sure it is correct).
9. ... enjoy your new account !!!

There is a checkbox beside the "CALLSIGN:" textbox. If you check it, HL will connect automatically every time you run the HL application. The remember password checkbox is beside the "PASSWORD:" textbox.

* When you get the chat message "Wrong password or invalid username", you are trying register using an already registered user account, which is not allowed.
** Do not use other user accounts gived to you by your friends or anyone else, otherwise you will get bad problems.
***Passwords and callsigns are not case sensitive

You can read full instructions on using Hyperlobby here

The Community FAQ should be a help here, especially the Online Gameplay Section
EURO_Snoopy
Site Admin

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Wed May 10, 2006 9:42 pm

Welcome to the world of IL2. As Euro has posted there is a guide to Hyperlobby and also a introduction to online flying.

As for 24/7 - there are always plently of people flying around the world as you will see when you have signed into Hyper lobby.
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby MaXMhZ on Wed May 10, 2006 9:57 pm

Welcome to Airwarfare DeeBee; I can't add much to what Snoopy already said except that there are players playing Forgotten Battles at HL 24/7 too, and that if you exchange IP numbers with players you can play by "direct connect" over the internet too using Forgotten Battles (One player creates a game, while others who know his IP join his game. There are many players from all over the world and many from the UK too - and not all are kids either ;) You might be surprised at who's playing FB and what age they are - even some WW2 veterans play it :D - most players are age 30-40 but several are 70+ Hyperlobby is the best place to go if you want to fly online. Just open an account like Snoopy explained above and you can start building your Ace-Status - Have fun! - Any problems, just give a yell in the forums here, or at hyperlobby or UBI :)
There are allways people willing to help out a fellow simmer.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby DeeBee on Wed May 10, 2006 10:44 pm

Thanx for the help guys. It is very much appreciated and will be acted upon! Do I take it then that Ive stumbled across a Forum for Air Combat Simmers? And if so am I the only one with Aces High experience? Great logos btw. one of which reminded me that Australia had a good cricket team..............once!
DeeBee
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby MaXMhZ on Thu May 11, 2006 12:09 am

Airwarfare is IMHO the best flightsim site/forum that ever graced the internet. It was formerly known as "MudMovers", and Snoopy has kept it going for quite some years now. It has a lot of resources for FB, and with the recent addition of Mission4Today the future looks bright indeed :) The best of the IL-2 community is drawn to Airwarfare as can be clearly seen by the many great submissions and conversations. Take a good look around starting from the main site, and you'll see what I mean :)

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby EURO_Snoopy on Thu May 11, 2006 7:05 am

Thanks for that Max, I think the difference about Airwarfare is its 'ease of use' and lack of restrictions and absence of things that annoy, like popups etc. The great thing is nobody has ever abused the freedom here.

I'm always impressed by the quality of conversation and the willingness to help here. The place hardly needs any moderation, like Max has said we have the top crop posting and helping out.
EURO_Snoopy
Site Admin

Postby IV/JG1_Oesau on Thu May 11, 2006 10:58 am

DeeBee wrote:Thanx for the help guys. It is very much appreciated and will be acted upon! Do I take it then that Ive stumbled across a Forum for Air Combat Simmers? And if so am I the only one with Aces High experience? Great logos btw. one of which reminded me that Australia had a good cricket team..............once!

:lol: I agree with you more than you know on this one. You see, I'm a Kiwi living in Australia and give my fair share of grief to the Aussies when ever I can!

I couldn't agree more on the comments about this site. You'll note that most of the help requests are answered, at the very least we all try and help out as much as of knowledge can.

Never ever be afraid to ask for help, even if it seems trival. We've all been there!
IV/JG1_Oesau
Squadron Leader

Postby 100th_Alien on Fri May 12, 2006 12:58 am

Welcome DeeBee,
If you need any help other than what you've already been helped with do not hesitate to ask ANYONE here, I get alotta my questions answered usually right away and that what makes this forum great. If you need any training help with your FM's in this sim we offer training on a regular basis, right now we are doing Formation flying training for a couple of NON squad members which we are happy to do, next week I will be offering JABO and NOE attacks, but am always willing to work 1 on 1 with anyone. Again WELCOME and feel free to join our training sessions.

http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/portal.php?mforum=490thoutlawz<-----------------training info

PS
That goes for anyone BTW :P
"The four elements: earth, air, water, and fire. Of these, I call your attention to two: air and fire. As pilots we live in the air, but we die by fire."
100th_Alien
Flight Sergeant

Postby Luckyboy1 on Fri May 12, 2006 1:13 am

Yes, this is "the place" for all your flight sim needs. You can find a game at HyperLobby for the combined install of Forgotten Battles/Ace Expansion Pack/ Pacific fighters patched to the 4.04 version 24/7.

Aces High is quite dated and few play it anymore. If you want a good modern jet jockey type game, I'd go for the Lock On, Modern Air Combat and the Flaming Cliffs add-on for it.

Give Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users a going over to get you up to speed on the basics.
Read Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users...

Luckyboys Guide

For all your hardware needs...

Magnum PC
Luckyboy1
Forum Dissident

Postby DeeBee on Sat May 13, 2006 11:22 am

Well Ive been online a few times now and really enjoying it...........to a degree! Everyone is so helpful compared to Aces High where newbies usually got a lot of stick. I say 'enjoying to a degree' cos altho I AM a newbie to FB Im not a newbie to flight sims if you know what I mean and for some reason I cant see my 6 and keep getting blasted! Im using TrackIR (also new to me, I didnt have it when in Aces High) so maybe its something Im not doing. I can see my 6 in FS2004 with no prob but in FB all I see is my armour (if so equipped) I would never use outside views (the purist that I am) but Ive found that if I flick from F1 to F3 that fly-by view gives me a look behind me but I cant do that really in combat...........SO newbie question Number1: How do I check my 6

Newbie question 2: I really miss being in a squadron as in Aces High (where incidentally you had to be invited to join ). Being in the UK and retired, my favourite time for flying is usually 11am GMT and again at 1900GMT. which puts me 5 to 7 hours ahead of the USA. SO how do I join a squadron whose members would fly at these times and would welcome a retread like me? (That wasnt a typo altho I feel like a retard)

Newbie question 3: In Aces High we had vox channels direct from server, but Ive downloaded Team speak, dont know how to use it, or even if it IS widely used. I never did learn the secret of typing while in combat! Should I keep it learn how to use it or trash it.?

Thanx again, too many of you to thank individually, who have bothered to respond so if you wouldnt mind, .............one more time please?
Thanx
DeeBee (A word about my callsign: DB was Douglas Bader and one of very few RAF pilots allowed personal markings on his aircraft) As Wing Leader he had DB on his Spitfire (his call sign was Dogs Body) and I flew a Spit V with this skin in Aces High))
DeeBee
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby Luckyboy1 on Sat May 13, 2006 5:31 pm

Many of the planes have a rearview mirror just like in real life, but you gotta map a button for it under controls.

Also, if the host allows exterior views, just do a quick F3 to get a fly by of your plane front to rear and get a complete picture of where you are at.

Most of us are older farts and there's a squad for everyone. Go to IL-2 forums and look up the squads forum... Hey Snoop, how bout a Squad forum here?!

See Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users on how to use Teamspeak and make sure the in game coms are off so they don't override the 3rd party coms.
Read Luckyboy's Guide For Complete Users...

Luckyboys Guide

For all your hardware needs...

Magnum PC
Luckyboy1
Forum Dissident

Return to New Members