An Injun say Hello

Welcome everyone. Here you will find forum guidelines and posting tips. This is also the place to introduce yourself to rest of the community. I think you'll find we're a welcoming lot.

Moderators: MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

An Injun say Hello

Postby Injun on Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:17 am

:D ~S~ To all,
I just Joined Joint-OPS for basic flight school. Start my class 30 July. I have had FB/AEP/PF 4.04 just a coulpe of days. I first got PF about three weeks ago. Turned in my MS Sidewinder stick for an X52. This is the hardest simulation I have come across. I am just practicing taxing in a P40E right now. All my Sim time is done with the realistic mode.

Tried Take Offs with disaterious results. :oops: If this was for real, I would be drumded out of waht ever service I was in for impersonating a pilot. :D Even with all the crashes and wrecks, the simulation is worth it. It has me doing research and reading on theroy and principles of flight.

To help me I got two utilities, FB View Plus and Virtual Cockpit 4.02.
The FB View Plus works fine, :roll: I am a little near sighted, Hard to read those gages. The mouse does not work while this is running. :x I hate the meteric mode that this is based, like to see a mod using a conversion to imperial. Most flight data I have is in imperial. :evil: I guess until then I will have to learn that confound it meteric.

The problem I have is that Virtual Cockpit. How is it run? how ya get all the non green fuctions to work? I tried following the instructions and it does not show up when I test it. Does it run minimized from a window?
Do I have to configure it in the config file? If it is running what a I suppose to see on screen? I am running my display at 1024 by 768.

Can some one offer me some more detailed instruction?

sorry about spelling errors tired.
~S~
Injun
aka MudMarine3
Semper Fi
USMCService19 72-1985 AirWing, USMCR19 85-1989
Injun
Corporal

Postby MaXMhZ on Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:15 pm

Welcome to Airwarfare Injun! :D

Most things you are describing are very familiar to all of us. Don't worry - things will get better as you learn. And you will keep on learning for years to come ;) Flight/Combat Simulators are not one-week games. They take years to master well. As for the problems at take-off, that's normal too. More pilots were killed in WW II during take-off and landing than in combat Even in that respect IL-2 series is correct you could say... lol. As for the imperial units...
The P40 is an American plane and as a result the gauges are all in imperial.
If they are still too small, decrease FOV (Field of View) to zoom in. You can assign keys/buttons for FOV Increase/Decrease in "Controls" under Views section. Your mouse should work normal in IL-2 sims. If it doesn't it can be only a couple of things which are easily corrected. If you keep having mouse problems, post in the "Help" forum. We'll all be glad to assist you sort it out.

When you are in Controls section, under the Misc header you can assign a key for "Speedbar" - you need to enable it too before you fly by clicking "Difficulty" settings (the section where you select "realistic" or "easy" etc difficulty. On top of that are a lot of individual settings. Instead of selecting a quick mode like "ease","normal" or "realistic" select "Next" This will take you to a second page of settings. make sure "No Speedbar" is not selected. In the game you can now select the speedbar. It will show as a line of text at the bottom of the screen. with speed and altitide.It has three modes. Metric,/Imperial/knots for speed. Just press the key/button again to switch modes. or to turn it off. In your game folder you will find a "manual.pdf" file, this is the game's manual readable with Adobe's Acrobat Reader or any application supporting pdf (like OpenOffice e.g. It has a lot more information than the booklet that came with the game. Check the Guides and Tutorials forum and section (from main http://www.airwarfare.com page) here too. And last but not least there is the Community Created Manual which has extensive information supplied by the community. http://airwarfare.com/mediawiki-1.4.5/i ... =Main_Page

If you mean the Virtual cockpit with all the 3d modelled gauges, that's run from a second PC with a second screen on your home network I believe. It uses the devicelink (IL-2 can communicate with a second PC or other hardware through this) Check out the readme with the virtual cockpit on how to set it up ;) There is a "devicelink" rtf or txt file too in the game's folder
You need to set it up through the conf.ini file in the game folder (edit with notepad). see the "devicelink" section in my annotated conf.ini for information http://members.home.nl/maxmhz/conf.ini.txt or the CCM (Community Created Manual) The first version of UDPSpeed did show on the game's screen, but I don't know if it's available anymore...
Check out this thread on SimHQ forums:
http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb ... 8;t=011755

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Reply to MaXMhZ

Postby Injun on Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:54 pm

~S~
MaXMhZ and All others,

MaXMhZ wrote:

If you mean the Virtual cockpit with all the 3d modelled gauges, that's run from a second PC with a second screen on your home network I believe. It uses the devicelink (IL-2 can communicate with a second PC or other hardware through this) Check out the readme with the virtual cockpit on how to set it up There is a "devicelink" rtf or txt file too in the game's folder
You need to set it up through the conf.ini file in the game folder (edit with notepad). see the "devicelink" section in my annotated conf.ini for information

Well that leaves me out. I do not have a second monitor, I do have and Ol'e Acer I use to ride in the closet. Like to get another but space on my desk and money a question. The X52 controller set me back on my budget. Next on list is a set of rudder peddles. X52 is a nice controller just learn to program the monster!. Like with the SIM, just need time and practice.

Flight/Combat Simulators are not one-week games. They take years to master well. As for the problems at take-off, that's normal too. More pilots were killed in WW II during take-off and landing than in combat Even in that respect IL-2 series is correct you could say... lol. As for the imperial units...

You are absolutely right about not beeing a one week game. I do not like to refure to it as a game. When I call it a game, I feel I disrespect and dishonor the men and wemon of the past who flew, maintained and built the aircraft reproduced in this simulation or SIM for short. I see from your commit that I am right on track about buying the farm on take-offs and landings, in the last month to many times to count. I also see you have the same problem as I have but with imperial units. LOL

The P40 is an American plane and as a result the gauges are all in imperial.
If they are still too small, decrease FOV (Field of View) to zoom in. You can assign keys/buttons for FOV Increase/Decrease in "Controls" under Views section. Your mouse should work normal in IL-2 sims. If it doesn't it can be only a couple of things which are easily corrected. If you keep having mouse problems, post in the "Help" forum. We'll all be glad to assist you sort it out.

How do I decrease FOV (Field of View) to zoom in? Please give me an example. I am still new to this SIM and it's controls. I use FB View Plus for my POV first hat on the stick. I may have to stop using it. It feels like cheating when I can read a digital read screen that shows up on the bottom of screen when the shift key is hit.

As for the mouse FB View Plus disables it. This normal when using FB View Plus?

When you are in Controls section, under the Misc header you can assign a key for "Speedbar" - you need to enable it too before you fly by clicking "Difficulty" settings (the section where you select "realistic" or "easy" etc difficulty. On top of that are a lot of individual settings. Instead of selecting a quick mode like "ease","normal" or "realistic" select "Next" This will take you to a second page of settings. make sure "No Speedbar" is not selected. In the game you can now select the speedbar. It will show as a line of text at the bottom of the screen. with speed and altitide.It has three modes. Metric,/Imperial/knots for speed. Just press the key/button again to switch modes. or to turn it off. In your game folder you will find a "manual.pdf" file, this is the game's manual readable with Adobe's Acrobat Reader or any application supporting pdf (like OpenOffice e.g. It has a lot more information than the booklet that came with the game. Check the Guides and Tutorials forum and section (from main http://www.airwarfare.com page) here too. And last but not least there is the Community Created Manual which has extensive information supplied by the community. http://airwarfare.com/mediawiki-1.4.5/i ... =Main_Page

I have learn through a little experience about setting difficulty and what shows. I still thank you for the advice. Some other newbie might find that info useful. The manual pdf, I am still reading and studying it. I have a links on my desk top to that airwarfare and mediawiki you posted, good solid info. Also that artical at Sim HQ on secondary controls. I spent a few hours yesterday reproducing Andy Bush's artical in MS Works V6.0. I beleive it comes with XP. I also used his pictures in his artical. Anyone want a copy just e-mail me.

MaXMhZ, thank you for your friendly welcome and advice. The one thing I like about Flt SIM boards is the freindliness that I have found. Which is a far difference from other GAME boards except for BattleFront and related GAMES.
~S~
~S~
Injun
aka MudMarine3
Semper Fi
Injun
Corporal

Postby MaXMhZ on Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:05 pm

Thanks for the kind words.

The X52 was a very good choise. My evo's rudder died recently and I allmost ordered the X52 myself as a new HOTAS system. I didn't because the X45 I use as throttle still works perfect and I'd hate to discard that as long as it's OK.
Programming the X52 is very simular to the X45/evo combo I use. It's not even necessary to use the saitek programming utility. All you need to do is go into the "Control" section in the sim, click to the right of the command you want to assign to a button or keyboard key, and then press the key or button you want it assigned to. It will show up directly on the screen At that point it's ready to use ingame.
As you noted I use both simulator and game to describe IL-2 series; there's no disrespect intended to the brave men and women who flew during WW II.
It's just that IL-2 has aspects of both in it. Its sublime in both fields IMHO
I fly X-plane too, but I must confess IL-2 gives me much more pleasure.
I did fly gliders for a couple of decades in R/L through the flying club at the nearbye Uiversity where I worked at the time. It's a great hobby - if you ever get the chance, don't let it pass. It's not as expensive as most people think, and well worth the money. Still hoping Oleg will put in some thermals when he finds the time...
Don't be afraid to use any utility that will give you an advantage in flying IL-2. It will only help to even things out a bit with respect to the virtual pilots that are at it for years, and they don't hesitate to use them either ;)

In the end there is only one factor that decides who will win a dogfight and that is the better pilot. Not the utilities he uses or even the plane he flies.

With respect to programming the zoom thingy:

Under "Control" section you will find a list of all the commands you can assign to keys/buttons. Among them are "Increase FOV" and "decrease FOV", just click to the right of those commands and press the button or key you want assigned to that command (I programmed them on up/down direction of the main hat switch on my X45 throttle). Icrease zooms out, decrease zooms in. Thats it :) easy as pie and ready to use... next time you see a dot, you can zoom in on it like you had binoculars 8) I don't use ViewPlus. I have the hatswitch of my evo set to "mouse mode" through the saitek software, and that works very well for me.
Besides the increase/decrease commands there is also the "toggle VOF" command. This will cycle through the commands you normally set with "PageDown (wide view), End (Normal view) and Delete (Narrow view or zoomd in maximal). I find increase/decrease giving better control though.
I will concider buying TrackIR if BoB will support 6DOF next year...
At that time I will need a new computer anyway. The one I use now is already outdated lol

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

MaXMhZ reply

Postby Injun on Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:17 pm

~S~
MaXMhZ,
I Thank You again for that info. I would suggest keeping old PC.
If you have room, you can run Virtual Cockpit and hace that PC networled /connect to your main PC. I have old Acer PC without monitor. Just a matter what I want and money, anothet monitor used and cheap or those rudder peddles. I need to hit the Lotto! :lol:

I will try to set that first hat to mouse mode and see what happens.

Thanks again,
Take Care and watch your six on line.
~S~
Injun
aka MudMarine3
Semper Fi
Injun
Corporal

Postby MaXMhZ on Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:12 pm

I'm holding on to it, no question. I can use it to run WinMe. I have a PCI synthesizer from Korg (OASYS pci), and an USB keyboard (the musical kind) - Midiman Radium. The oasys doesn't support Win XP even though it only came out in 2000; quite expensive piece of hardware too at $2000,- at the time... Even so, Korg idsrefusing to develope drivers for XP - probably because they have a very expensive Oasys synth out by this time developed from the PCI version. The PCI version is realy a very good synthesizer. It's an unbelievable piece of hardware (5 Motorola DSP's working in paralel mode; it's a full size PCI card (takes up the whole length in my crate with components mounted at both sides lol It's got more computing power than my CPU and many modern systems ;) The sound quality is even better than the Audigy ZS Besides being a synth it's got loads of sound effects too like equalizers, echo/delay, the list goes on and on. If I run a church organ on it you'd swear you were in a cathedral. Even the guitars sound like the real thing :) So that's something I don't want to miss. Besides that I was planning to use it as a dedicated server to play the game on. For that it's a good system.
Last edited by MaXMhZ on Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby Injun on Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:13 pm

~S~
Sounds good to me. I am not into music? The last report from my rigger is not good :lol: , Have problems with rigging flt controls. Live and learn. Once I get this right, maybe I teach others. I am going to start a new thread on rigging in help page. That is for X52 and controls.

Thanks You again! Check my profile I have spaces on MSN. Ya might get to see an old pic of me. :lol: That was ten years ago. Just imagine a face 10 yrs older and shorter hair. I had to cut it due to the hot weather here.
~S~
Injun
aka MudMarine3
Semper Fi
Injun
Corporal

Postby MaXMhZ on Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:10 am

Great photo! Good idea to post, that's what Airwarfare and Mission4Today are all about. Helping eachother and bringing the sim to a higher level.

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby MudPuppy on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:34 am

Welcome to Airwarfare and a great flight sim, Injun. I hear you loud and clear on so many take-offs ending up with your plane wrapped around a tower or plowing up the field. If not for the help from the resources here and great advice, like Max's, I'd still be cursing and crashing. I'm still trying to master landings. Now I can fly well enough to be aerial target practice for those AI gunners. :x

btw, Thanks for your service in the USMC.

MudPuppy
MudPuppy
Warrant Officer

Taxi, Landings, flight and take offs

Postby Injun on Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:44 pm

~S~
I love these flight Simulation boards! The growd here always friendly and great advice. Just a different breed of gamers, others on other game boards not as friendly unless you are running latest and greatest game.

MudPuppy
I hear you loud and clear on so many take-offs ending up with your plane wrapped around a tower or plowing up the field. If not for the help from the resources here and great advice, like Max's, I'd still be cursing and crashing. I'm still trying to master landings. Now I can fly well enough to be aerial target practice for those AI gunners.

MudPuppy, The only advice that I am qualified to give is start with taxi-ing and learn your aircraft. Thats is all what I am doing right now. Once I can safely manuver on the ground I will take it to the air. Good luck with the landings. I found with my X52 stick I had to allow for 5 to 10% dead space in stick centering. Controls too sensitive, exspecially during taxi and take-off attemps. I do not have rudder so use the twist feature of the stick. I need a little lee way with the stick centered. I tend to pull a little back on the stick, NASTY results for a sensitive stick.
~S~
Injun
aka MudMarine3
Semper Fi
Injun
Corporal

Postby MaXMhZ on Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:00 pm

Injun, try to set the profile to start with very low values on the left (see joystick setup thread), that should solve the issue. Did you check if the coil that is pressing the bottom plate on the stick down is firm enough and not a bit lame? Normally the Saitek sticks don't have any loose center position. Check in the Saitek control panel if it works OK and doesn't "jump" near center positions... As far as I know only force feedback sticks have a loose center because of the way they are constructed. I flew like a drunk when I had one (Logiyuck stick - they should stay with mice and keyboards IMHO)

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Stick sensitivity

Postby Injun on Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:07 pm

~S~
MaXMhZ,

The problem is not stick but operator. Stick has been locked to my right. Now stick centered infront of me, Had to use two telephone books to raise monitor 3 and half inches. Had to rearrange thinks for optimun use. I will take dead zone out of stick adn set what happens.
~S~
Injun
aka MudMarine3
Semper Fi
Injun
Corporal

Postby MaXMhZ on Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:15 pm

Yup rearanging things till you're comfortable is important :)

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Comfort important

Postby Injun on Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:13 pm

~S~
Max,
Yes it is. I was thinking about making rudder pedles using another joystick. Question will a game ported anolog stick work in the Sim?

The rudders I want are the new Saitek Pros. Right now by on-line order $149.00 plus tax $11.00 and shipping $20.00, $180.00, Yikes!!!!!! For other brands about $150.00 withe tax and shipping. Yikes!!!!!!!

Best Buy is where I bought x52, about $122.00 after tax. Those pedles are a dream right now. So I have been doing some surfing to see if they can be home made. Just a matter of design, matterial and time to build. Anyone in the forum build there own rudder pedles?
~S~
Injun
aka MudMarine3
Semper Fi
Injun
Corporal

Postby MaXMhZ on Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:24 am

If you mean an old-style analog stick connected to a game-port on the motherboard or soundcard; no sadly you can't mix USB sticks with gameport devices because of the way DirectX works. You can use several devices on USB though, so it is possible to build your own pedals from a cheap USB stick, but that's a lot of work. Some people are very good at this - I've even seen someone constructing a replication of the Spitfire controls (pedals, stick etc for a homebuild cockpit. The Saitek pedals do look realy good. The only other ones I know are pedals from CH Products which are much more expensive. Alot of people swear by their very good quality and precision though.

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Return to New Members