Hi all, I'm new :D

Welcome everyone. Here you will find forum guidelines and posting tips. This is also the place to introduce yourself to rest of the community. I think you'll find we're a welcoming lot.

Moderators: MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Hi all, I'm new :D

Postby na85 on Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:09 am

Hi guys, I'm na85.

I play IL2, mostly, and it's a fantastic game. Personally, I'm a huge
Yakovlev fan, but I can't figure out how to fly my yak-3 against those damned La-7's

I heard someone say once that if I stay fast I could out turn him, true? I can't seem to grasp that concept; if I pull into the turn too hard, my speed drops and stall. If I hold a sustainable turn I can't stay with him, and if I do a wide turn he just turns inside my circle.

Any advice for a newb? :D 8)
na85
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby MaXMhZ on Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:49 am

Hi na85, Welcome to Airwarfare! A Lavochkin is a very hard plane to beat when it's flown by an experienced pilot - check out In Persuit an online pilots guide to aircombat by Johan "BHBH" Kylander - this has many explanations about advanced combat maneuvres; learn those, and practice a lot. It might take some time. A printed version of In Persuit is now also available through Amazon.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby MudPuppy on Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:44 am

Hey na85, and welcome. I think Max gave you some good advice since both planes are very strong single seater fighters it will likely be a matter of maximizing your own planes strengths.
Just curious (and possibly dense too) but under what circumstances are you flying the Yak against the La-7?
MudPuppy
MudPuppy
Warrant Officer

Postby na85 on Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:03 am

Well I've actually already read In Pursuit a while ago and maybe I just misunderstood. I'll have to go back and read it again.

Obviously on full-switch servers you don't see yak vs la matchups, but on some of the all-planes servers you get a lot of La pilots. Beyond that, I don't know what else to tell you.

I always try to engage with an energy advantage, but inevitably there comes a co-e contest. If the guy got on my tail I'd been diving for the deck and throwing on some prop pitch/110% but the La-7 seems faster at sea level (perhaps I'm not pushing hard enough?). I also seem to find myself out-turned in level flight.
na85
Air Cadet Level 2

Return to New Members