A short description of the airwarfare of WWII Online

By popular request WW2OL is now supported by Airwarfare.com

A short description of the airwarfare of WWII Online

Postby Sparre on Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:56 pm

A short description of the warfare in the skies of WWII Online

I want to make you fans of IL-2 Sturmovik and aviation simulators in general aware of a game named World War II Online (soon to be released in Europe and North America as Battleground Europe: World War II Online). Some of you maybe tried it out during the years since it was released already in 2001 (not the best release in the history of computer games). Others have proberbly never heard about it.

WWII Online is a MMOG-Player-vs-Player game (100% PvP) that takes part on the ground, in the air and on the sea in a persistant and continouos world where all buildings and all bridges can be blown. There are no zones or levels in WWII Online, just as there are no "neutral zones" either. And very important, there are no restriction of how many that can join the server. Tens of thousands plays on the same server, and you can see up to more then 100 players at the same time.

100% player-runned game
WWII Online is not about to re-enact WWII battles. There is no pre-scripted missions or battles in the game. All battles, missions and even Research, Development & Production (RDP) plans for vehicles, weapons and combat units are managed by the players- not scripted by the game's software. Each countries' army/navy/air force starts a campaign with a realistic set of vehicles and weapons but once the battles are underway the outcome of that campaign is largely based on decisions made and actions taken by the players. Each sides' player-staffed High Command decides what/how much to supply their own forces. Also, the effectiveness of planning and communications and the skills of players in using weapons and vehicles plays a direct role in the success of both offensive or defensive missions. Player decisions and actions- even player morale often determine the outcome of each campaign.

No autogenerated missions, only missions you find is what you and other players post. In other words, WWII Online is 100% player interaction. Also, there are no bots or AI to fight against. There exist minor stationary sentry AI. Pilots must be aware of the AAA MG at each Armybase which has a range of some 1500 meter, as well as heavier AAA (75mm and 88mm) that protects the industrial facilities each country has as well as their Airfields. The heavy AAA AI has a range of 6000 meter.

The map
The current theatre is located to western Europe. The whole map is 1200x1200 kilometers (most of North and Western Europe) but only a "small" part of this gigantic map is modelled with a continuing terrain, with a greate varitation of vegetation and towns. The actual fighting ground constitute "only" some 30.000 square kilometers. Within this area (which I don't believe any game can match) will you find some 480 villages, towns and major cities, a number that is constantly growing. The map stretches from Düsseldorf and Colonge in western Germany over Luxemburg, Belgium, southern Holland and northern France over the English channel to southeastern England where you will find the towns of Hastings (UK) and Dieppe (FR) as one of the most western towns.

Since the map is so extremly huge does it normally takes six to ten weeks to settle a Campaign. Last summer did it take close to three months to settle a Campaign. But it has happend that a Campaign is over in just four weeks too, and in this cases have the airforce played the decisive roll.

The War in the skies
An airplane can't capture anything, only infantry can. But the airwar often settles the result of a Campaign. And they do so either on the tactical level or on the strategical level, or both. When the airforce wins on the tactical level by being supreme will it denying the other side groundforces to advance by ripping their tanks and reinforcement in pieces. This warfare demands a very close cooperation with the ground forces where the ground forces is your eyes and ears on the ground calling out your targets as well as reporting what kind of enemy activity you will face in the air (type, numbers and altitude) when you reach your target.

Since WWII Online has a RD&P feature does the Stratigical level play a very important role. That means that the player runned High Commands sets up Research and Production plans for their industrials. Depending on the plans settings will it result in newer and/or upgraded fighters and ground vehicles. The numbers can be more or less. The more advanced the type is and the greater the number of it that is asked for the longer it will take to complete the RD&P cycle.

However since the RD&P is runned through industrial facilities that is located at each countries rear will it also mean that the enemy can send bombersquadrons to level these factories. If the bomberraids is successful will it dramatically reduce the factories output rate. So if one side is able to slow down the pace for the other sides RD&P will it delay the new and imporved equipment the enemy is waiting for. And depending on how much it is delayed can it definitly settle the outcome of the whole Campaign.

There is only two way to prevent this happening. First to win the Strategical warfare in the air by sending more successful bomber squadrons then the enemy do. Second to guard your own RD&P facilites with fighter pilots that will take out the bombers before they reach their targets.

The visual range in WWII Online is pretty decent. At the ground will you see 4000 meter, and if you fly will it increase by the altitude. From 1500 meter and above do you have a visual range of 8000 meter (max). And if you fly level will you hit ground targets at 5500 meter, just slightly under the heavy AAA AI range. :twisted: Also, when you bomb a target must you have the targets actual altitude over the sea-level, and adjust this to the bomber aim, or your bombs will fall to short.

There is one thing you flyfans has to be aware of though. When you fly over enemy controlled territory should you aviod flying too close to the ground. It happens to be that the guys on the ground love to drag out their own AAA to shot down any reckless pilot that thinks that he is a 1337 pilot that can't be shot down from the ground. Very often does it happens that they even bring AAA with them at or near offensive targets. So be careful where you fly when you fly low. 8)

I have personally never played IL-2 (I am on a Mac so what can I do unless I bought me a whole new comp) so I have no experience of it. But it seems to be the airwar sim people love very much. But as far as I understand is all players in the air. Why not come and try out a game where you also have lots of people on the ground and on the surface to interact with.

I know, WWII Online doesn't has as many plane models as IL has, but the real challange should be to face a real enemy on the ground too, don't you think. :wink: One of the latest addition to the airplanes (v1.19.2) was the addition of fuselage damage to all planes (the plane now only misses stress damage). Besides that are all planes pretty accurate modelled I believe. The gamedevelopers is all former WarBirds developers that left that company many years ago to create WWII Online, and they are dedicated that all planes and and vehicles shall be modelled exactly as their historical counterparts.

To play
The latest version of the game can be downloaded for free HERE. To be able to play online must you buy a Activation Key (CD-key). The Activation Key costs $20 and includes 30 days of free play. The monthly subscription fee is $15, which can be reduced down to $8.5 if paid in advance.

Or you can pre-order the new box at:
Amazon.co.uk (Europe)
EBGames (North America)
GameStop (North America)

You can see what the new box includes HERE.
Sparre
Air Cadet Level 2

Return to WWII Online: Battleground Europe