Vista and MatManager

Forum for the discussion of Aces MAT Manager

Moderator: Aces

Vista and MatManager

Postby Alanlongbon on Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:04 pm

I have worked out how to rename my exe file etc and can get MM working in il2 1946 under Vista.

However the only way I can get the markings to stay in the game is by launching il2 through MM.

This is ok except that each time all the files etc must be loaded and it takes time.

Is it possible to get the changes made in MM to stay in il2 under Vista and if so how?

I have also tried removing the read only labels on the paintschemes folders etc however they keep coming back even after I do it in Administrator mode.

I am sure I have only missed one small step and would love to know what it is I need to do.

I even moved il2 out of the programme files directory and put it in a new one called games. I did this as I read somewhere that the programme Files directory had a special protection on it.

Regards

Alan.
Alanlongbon
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby MaXMhZ on Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:44 pm

First check you did NOT install IL-2 under C:/Program Files/...

Vista will lock conf.ini in that case denying access to it.

Once you have all MAT files transfered to the game, check conf.ini for the key

ClearCache=1

change it to
ClearCache=0

that should do it.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby Alanlongbon on Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:09 pm

Thanks for the push in the right direction. The short of it is is that it worked.

I did already have a ClearCache = 1 entry however I had written it clearCache = 1. Because the game is clearly case sensitive it did not work until I had rewritten it as ClearCache.

The problem I have now is that my Royal Navy markings do not load for my Seafire campaign, though all others appear ok.

At the last minute when loading the Royal Navy markings scroll bar entry switches to off and low and behold they are not in the game. Anyone have a solution to this little problemet?

I think I will find a nice Seafire skin as a work around for now.

Regards

Alan.
Alanlongbon
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby MaXMhZ on Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:52 am

When installing MM you need to initially have ClearCache=1 and you need to install all artwork to a directory of its own, so NOT to the game directory.

You need to point MM to where the game is (il2.exe NOT il2fb.exe) and if you fly online through hyperlobby you also need to tell where hyperclient is.

If you have previous installs of FB and now use IL2 Sturmovik 1946

BE CAREFULL not to mix the directories up
FB was saved to Program Files/Ubi<SPACE>Ubisoft/IL-2 Forgotten Battles/

1946 is saved in /Program Files/Ubisoft/IL-2 Sturmovik 1946/

When you start FB for the first time (through MM), the art files will be transfered to the game directory (you can see the progress bar).
NOW you can set ClearCache=0 meaning artwork files will stay in the game directory and not be written there everytime you start FB.
If you upgrade to newer versions of MM you NEED TO un-install the older version first COMPLETELY. DONT install older versions after newer ones. Uninstall MM first.

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby Alanlongbon on Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:14 am

Hello,

Thanks for your continued help.

The markings stay in the game now and look great.

The only remaining problem I have is that the RN and RAAF marking do not appear in the game no matter how much I tinker with the settings in MM, and I have tried just about all of them now.

What more can I do?

Could I directly paste the markings into the respective folder manually?

If so show me the way.

Regards

Alan.
Alanlongbon
Air Cadet Level 1

Postby MaXMhZ on Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:08 pm

Sadly I'm no expert at MAT Manager. Aces has stopped supporting it after doing so for years, and AFAIK nobody stepped forward yet to take over. There are several users around that use it a lot, so maybe they can help.
It could be these marking are in another version. It's very likely you can move them by hand. The directory structure should be the same as under older versions of Forgotten Battles I think.

I'm just guessing here though - Sorry for that.

Remember MAT Manager is an old utility and has not bee developed for Vista.
Once I get Sturmovik 1946 installed again I'll give it a try to get the markings you pointed out going. I just has a fatal system crash and am now installing my programs... I'll report back here once I have news.

NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Return to MAT Manager