IL-2 Sturmovik Series: Complete Edition

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Postby arigram on Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:48 pm

To answer your questions:
1) I don't know for sure, but probably you can't revert to any older patch version as the patch is already applied (embedded) on the exe.
2) The disk has to be in the drive unfortunately. I would like to make a backup copy myself but I am not sure if the copy protection will let me.

Even though the installer has as default a path by the name of "forgotten battles" the rest of the simulator is all Pacific Fighters. I am guessing but apart from the intro screen, the intro movie, the interface and small details are Pacific Fighters-themed. I am not sure if I missed something but the View Objects interface only has US and Japanese models.
The PDF manual included is also of Pacific Fighters.
(it pisses me off though to pay so much money for a game and not include a small printed manual, 38 pages are tiny compared to what I used to get with the original Falcon 4 and all the older sims I played on my Amiga and C64)
I have printed all the reading material I could find including the manuals from the Forgotten Battles CDs I have and everything I found on the Internet, but I still miss a lot of information and struggling to learn to fly the airplanes.

Also so planes have still that annoying high pitched sound in-cockpit although its much softer now.

Another thing to add is that even though I uninstalled Forgotten Batlles before I installed Complete Edition, it retained the pilot I had and all my settings.

The store I got it from is a bookstore chain that carries a lot of things from art books and magazines to computer software and some hardware (like ipods). They had to bring it from Athens but it only took three days. From what I've seen you can find it cheaper online, but I couldn't wait!
arigram
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby MaXMhZ on Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:41 am

A printed manual would probably double the price of the game :( because of printing / logistics / packaging / transport etc.
And though it would be nice, I'd probably loose it within a week. The copy protection will stop you from making a backup, even though it's legal to make one in Europe if you own the Original. There are ways to do it - that's where the illegal copies on the net come from :( so I won't explain that ;) Even if you make a backup - you can't play with it, because you will need the original copy-protected DVD in the drive. I too would have liked it if it were possible to play without the DVD in the drive but I do accept protection has to be there and am glad it didn't go as far as implementing SF malware installing hidden drivers and thereby circumventing Windows OS security layers and stepping down DVD RW drives from DMA speed to PIO (which can harm some modern drives fysically besides disabling virtual drives and screwing burning software like Nero. - and doing all that behind your back and without your consent without a decent way of removing it.

All in all I don't think it's a lot of money for a game like this. I payed more for flight sims that were far worse in all aspects, and one month of internet costs more than the game. I think it's great value-for-money.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Run Quicker?

Postby BEN131IAP on Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:10 pm

So if I buy this lot on DVD and use it on my PC the game will run quicker and the graphics will be faster and clearer?
Ben131IAP :shock:
BEN131IAP
Corporal

Re: Run Quicker?

Postby MaXMhZ on Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:26 pm

BEN131IAP wrote:So if I buy this lot on DVD and use it on my PC the game will run quicker and the graphics will be faster and clearer?
Ben131IAP :shock:

nope.

You won't have to d/l the patches again and would have a backup for all cd's And it will probably install faster and easier to version 4.04m.

And you'd feel better for knowing you payed for a nut and bold on Oleg's next car :D

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Previous

Return to IL-2 Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters Forum