Question on longer flights.

Moderators: CrazySchmidt, EURO_Snoopy, MaXMhZ, MudPuppy

Question on longer flights.

Postby Mr_G on Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:49 pm

I've built up a mission for a D3A2 that should take a little over three hours flying time. Unfortunately, I seen to run out of fuel at the 2:45 mark. I'm flying at 250 KPH (155MPH), so I'm a little under cruising speed. With this aircraft, I should have a flight range of between 850-950 miles. Am I doing something wrong, or do I have to use manual engine management?
Thanks.
Flying keeps me sane.
Mr_G
Air Cadet Level 2

Postby 100th_Alien on Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:57 am

I would use the complex engine management, BTW, which a/c was it?
"The four elements: earth, air, water, and fire. Of these, I call your attention to two: air and fire. As pilots we live in the air, but we die by fire."
100th_Alien
Flight Sergeant

Postby MaXMhZ on Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:54 am

Like 100th said, select complex engine management. Fly the aircraft high and reduce mixture(less fuel, more air), also select the right supercharger stage if the aircraft has manual control over it. This will increase range and flying time considerably Try to keep the engine running smoothly by altering prop pitch will increase it some more. Taking these simple steps should get you there. It's much like driving a car with targeted fuel economy. Don't race if you want the best milage ;)

Don't forget to trim the aircraft too - you got the time for that ;)

In the beginning of the Pacific war Lightning pilots had great difficulty with long distance targets, often returning flying on fumes, or not making it back. It took a great man like Howard Hughes to learn them about fuel economy flying. On one of his missions Howard even downed a Japanese fighter (him being the only civilian with an enemy kill during the war :)

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.-Marcus Aurelius
NWS Online Shop
MaXMhZ
Site Admin

Postby Mr_G on Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:04 pm

Thanks. I tried it again, last night on auto, and managed to make it back on fumes. Non of the other 19 AI Vals made it back. They all ran out of gas with 5 minutes to go.
Flying keeps me sane.
Mr_G
Air Cadet Level 2

Return to IL-2 Forgotten Battles/Pacific Fighters Forum